Needle review by an admitted needle-SNOB

Old February 9th 07, 04:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
YarnWright

Default Needle review by an admitted needle-SNOB

I'm not only a yarnsnob, I'm a needle snob too!
With all the talk (well, posts, blogposts and reviews at various
forums) over the past year, I thought I'd throw in my two-pence!

IMHO: don't waste your money on the 'coveted' COLONIAL Circs (ebony or
rosewood), the PONY's are exactly the same and a tad cheaper.
Same with regards to the 'coveted' Holz and Stein (aka Noble) (rosewood
or ebony), the Susanne's are comparable.

Now, regarding all four of those needles: for ME, they're crapola. I
ONLY use
LANTERN MOON DESTINY circs (ebony and rosewood) as they have a cord
much like the colonial/pony, but better still they SWIVEL!!!!
With my carpal tunnel and wrist cysts, ONLY a swivel needle will do.
There were some problems with the Destiny's when they were first
released, which Lantern Moon addressed and fixed, read about that he
http://lanternmoon.com/destiny_needleUpdate.pdf

Another note regarding those issues, ONLY buy your Destiny's from a
qualified vendor, do NOT purchase from an ebay vendor, they are
peddling off the 'old' ones!

Onto bamboo circs.
Clover and Plymouth suck. They joins are terrible, the cords kink and
the bamboon splits.
I like KA Classic, Valley Fibers, and Chrystal Palace. AND, THEY have
my coveted SWIVEL!

Onto DPN's.
While I have rosewood, ebony and bamboo circs, I still prefer Brittany
Birch.

Onto the 'speed' circular needles:
Yes, Addi Turbo's are great. But I prefer Inox Express. They're
cheaper and have a better cord.
Hiyahiya circs are an even less expensive alternative.

Regarding KnitPicks Options needles:
The screw-on sets, while nicer than Boye needlemaster / Boy knitmaster
are still screw-on, and tend to UNSCREW.
I prefer Denise Needles for 'sets'.

JM2C,
Noreen

--

---
avast! AV: Outbound message clean.

Old February 9th 07, 07:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Spike Driver

YarnWright wrote:
[...]

Noreen,

I agree with every thing you said. The only question I have is about
Denise. I have been disappointed with them coming apart with the joint
in the middle of a row. I finally got mad and glued the end apart that
kept coming apart. I have 2 cords that do that. I had to send a 7
needle back when started peeling like skin. I like the feel of the
Denise set better buy I have been very disappointed with the quality.

Hugs & God bless,
Dennis & Gail
Old February 9th 07, 11:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

I think different needle materials do better at different sizes.

For example; Steel rules! for needles of size 1 and smaller (despite the
corrosion problems.) However, I must admit that there are a set of # 1
rosewood needles beside my knitting chair to use as cable needles and for
picking up stitches after frogging. ( I am currently up to my neck in a
Mary Wright gansey.)

My real problem is that I like the firmer fabrics produced by smaller
needles. Maybe I am more a gauge snob, than a needle snob or a yarn snob.
I am starting to think that I am purely crazy in this respect. Well maybe
not. I notice that the expensive sweaters in the fine woolen shops are also
knit more tightly than is called for by modern patterns developed for
amateur knitters.

Do people really like the fabrics produced when yarns are knit to the gauge
recommended by the yarn band?

Aaron

Old February 10th 07, 03:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Richard Eney

In article ,
wrote:
[...]

I think it depends on the circumstances. If the sweater is to be worn in
a dressy office for fashion reasons, the ball-band gauge will usually work.
If the sweater is to be worn casually around a slightly cool house, while
it could work at a looser gauge, I think a slightly tighter gauge would
be better. As always, though, swatching is necessary.

If it's to be worn for warmth under severe conditions, but will be under
a windbreaker layer, it can still be loose and hold air pockets, but my
personal opinion is that many small air pockets will keep me warmer than
fewer, larger ones.

(I did once have a sweater (commercial, but very tightly made indeed)
that repelled a light rain, but it wasn't windy when I was wearing it,
so I don't know whether it would have performed as well under windy
conditions.)

=Tamar
Old February 10th 07, 03:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
YarnWright

Spike Driver spun a FINE 'yarn':

YarnWright wrote:
[...]

I've NEVER ever had Denise come apart. I've spoken with the owner of
the company (and her daughter as well) via phone and email, and I DO
know they stand behind their product. Sent them back, they'll replace
them free!
HTH,
Noreen

--

---
avast! AV: Outbound message clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 000712-2, 02/09/2007
Tested: 2/9/2007 10:33:05 PM
avast! - (c) 1988-2006

Old February 10th 07, 03:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
YarnWright

YarnWright wrote:
[...]

I can honestly say that I've never EVER had Denise come apart on me,
and I've had my set a very long time, and use it a lot.
I DO know that the owner and her daughter will stand behind their
product -- return the set or the questionable pieces, they will replace
it free!!
(I've spoken with both the owner and her daughter via phone and
corresponded via email, they're great gals, a family owned business!!)
HTH,
Noreen

--

---
avast! AV: Outbound message clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 000712-2, 02/09/2007
Tested: 2/9/2007 10:38:23 PM
avast! - (c) 1988-2006

Old February 10th 07, 04:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

"YarnWright" wrote in message

I prefer Denise Needles for 'sets'.

So do I - and I bought a box for a daughter and she loves it too.

Mary

JM2C,
Noreen

Old February 10th 07, 04:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

"Spike Driver" wrote in message

I agree with every thing you said. The only question I have is about
Denise. I have been disappointed with them coming apart with the joint in
the middle of a row.

?

That's not happened with mine ...

Mary

Old February 10th 07, 04:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

"YarnWright" wrote in message

I can honestly say that I've never EVER had Denise come apart on me,
and I've had my set a very long time, and use it a lot.
I DO know that the owner and her daughter will stand behind their
product -- return the set or the questionable pieces, they will replace
it free!!

That's useful to know - but if it ever does happen to mine it wouldn't be as
easy as that, I'm in England.

(I've spoken with both the owner and her daughter via phone and
corresponded via email, they're great gals, a family owned business!!)

I believe you - but can you give me their e-mail address, please?

Mary

Old February 10th 07, 04:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

wrote in message
[...]

I've never seen that on British wool bands but since I don't keep to
instructions anyway (boring!) I don't suppose I would.

Mary