Janome 6600

Old August 28th 06, 06:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sparky

Default Janome 6600

Friends,

Has anyone else bought a Janome Memory Craft 6600? What do you think
of it? Have you had any problems with it? I bought one several months
ago and I'm still ambivalent. I love some of the features, but I'm not
impressed with others and I'm not sure I'd buy one again.

Sparky

Old August 28th 06, 06:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kiteflyer

I bought mine in march and use it almost every day. I like most things
about it especially the fact that the presser foot lifts much higher.
Don't love how the feed works without using the dual feed, however with
the dual feed it works great. Hate, Hate, Hate (did I mention how I
hate) the way to change dual feed feet. I always have my screwdriver in
my hand when sewing so I can change feet (did I mention how much I like
this). I have heard they are fixing this feature in the next model they
release. I will be sewing on it later today as it is the best machine
for making school bags and purses I have. It does sew very nice.

Denny
--
http://community.webshots.com/user/kiteflyer54
Old August 28th 06, 07:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Marcella Peek

I have one. I like most things about it. There are a few I'd change.

Did you know there's a Yahoo group for 6500/6600 users? Some very
knowledgeable users there. They are good at helping with things and
even finding work arounds for some of the less pleasant things - like
the angled knee bar.

marcella

Old August 28th 06, 08:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sparky

Thanks for the feedback. I use mine nearly every day also, but it took
some getting used to. I was trying to use some thread that was
crosswound, and it made the machine jam. This irked me, because it
seemed to me when I paid that much for a machine it should pretty much
do whatever I wanted. I only use the dual feed when quilting, but I do
like the thread cutter feature and the knee-operated presser foot
lever. I don't mind using the screwdriver because my last machine (an
Elna) used a thumb tightener and it kept vibrating itself loose, which
made the 1/4" foot inaccurate. I think that's why Janome went with the
screw-on presser foot.

What I could really use is guidance on the free-motion quilting
stitches, but since the manager of the store where I bought it has
turned out to be a truly evil person I won't find out from the "free
classes" that supposedly came with the machine. And I suspect there is
a whole lot the instruction manual isn't telling me. I wish I there
was a detailed instruction book I could buy from Janome. Have you
heard of such a thing?

Sparky

Old August 28th 06, 08:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
MB

Default Janome 6600 info --kind of long !

Sparky: Would love to know what you like about it and dislike. I tried
one out about 2 weeks ago
and I did like it but the presser foot is gigantic !!! That would take
some getting used to.
The fancy stitches seem to be on my Pfaff 7550 already at least for the
most part. I joined
the yahoo group for the 6600 for their input and most seem to like it but
they did tell me their
opinions which helps me a lot. Also, I think that someone mentioned that
the BIG FOOT fits this machine
for free motion quilting but I don't know for sure. It is a high shank
machine
and I wonder if the Juki 1/5" or 1/4" foot would fit? I have one of those
for my
Brother 1500 and it works fine. One thing that I liked about the 6600 is
that
it seemed FM sideways much easier than my Brother 1500.

This is one of the answers I got:
I wish the throat plate cover was snap-on and snap-off instead
of
screwing. I would probably clean "down below" more often if it
snapped.

I wish it had a wonderful manual.

The only thing I really "hate" is the bobbin-winder, and even that,
I've adjusted to. Janome brags about having a separate
bobbin-winding
motor (as if anyone really needs to keep sewing while winding
bobbins!!), but the speed is not controlable. Mine winds way to
quickly (while winding invisible thread, it got so tight it broke
the
bobbin). I only have the one machine, so I can't wind bobbins on a
separate machine as some of the gals do. So I stop and start it
several times in the process.

Here's another answer I got which is helpful too:
I don't like the darning foot. Janome needs to come out with a
circular one. I use mine and it works just fine, but when you need
a different one, you have to shop for another brand.

I don't like the guide on the 1/4 inch foot. It gets stuck going
over seams and bunny ears. I should probably just buy another and
rip it off though.

I would love a start/stop stitch that really worked for
competetion. I know some people want a bobbin low warning, but I
never needed one.

And my biggest gripe is not having a decent operators manual.
Please tell me what all the stitches are and what they are used for!

Sometimes because the Accufeed foot is so bulky on the back,
visability is hard and where the light it sends shadows on the
side.

Things I love about the machine are the auto cutters, they put a
thread cutter next to the bobbin winder..THANK YOU! I like the idea
of modes to get through the menus. I love the Accufeed foot and
that you can buy other feet for it. I love the space and that this
machine is meant to be played with.

I like that it handles most spools of thread well. Some of the
really wide bottom ones are hard, but I haven't had too much problem
with it.

And..the things I don't like are livable with. I love this machine
a lot.
Anyway..those are the answers I got...hope they help someone.
Mary

ups.com...

Old August 28th 06, 09:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sparky

The presser foot you are referring to is the even feed foot, and it's
not really necessary to use it except for quilting. I usually use the
1/4" foot. I've heard theyve come out with an even feed foot that has
a 1/4" guide (good for putting on binding, although you can get around
that now by changing the needle position) and also with a
straight-stitch throat plate, which should help with FM.

I was dismayed to learn that you can (and should) bargain on the price
of a sewing machine. I had thought the price was the price, and of
course I paid more because of that idea. I also heard after I bought
it that some dealers were throwing in a hard case with the price of the
machine, although why only some dealers were doing that is beyond me.
Seems unfair, and how is a person to know that?

I haven't had any trouble with the bobbin winder, but I could see how a
person might sometimes want to regulate the speed. But I've also never
known anyone who used invisible thread in the bobbin. I like the fact
that I don't have to unthread the machine to wind bobbins.

One thing I'm not all that in love with is the machine has so many
little embroidery stitches, which is not what a quilter is really
looking for. Also, the already-inadequate manual spends a very long
time talking about all the different buttonholes, and people who buy
this expensive machine supposedly designed for quilters aren't really
going to be paying attention to the buttonhole thing, you know?

I do like the monogramming feature, although programming it is fiddly
and the explanations for storing patterns are really convoluted and
make no sense. The manual tells the user to use buttons that are not
identified in any diagram, which is a recipe for frustration. I really
do think that for $1500 plus they could have provided an in-depth
manual that detailed EVERYTHING, but apparently Janome doesn't feel
that would be profitable. (I'd even pay extra for it.)

I do like the bed extension table, which is very useful when machine
quilting a large quilt. Like you, I don't need to be told when my
bobbin is low. I also like the feature that enables the machine to
start up on the last stitch pattern used, although figuring out how to
get it to do that is another headache.

Old August 28th 06, 09:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Marcella Peek

In article . com,
"Sparky" wrote:

What I could really use is guidance on the free-motion quilting
stitches, but since the manager of the store where I bought it has
turned out to be a truly evil person I won't find out from the "free
classes" that supposedly came with the machine. And I suspect there is
a whole lot the instruction manual isn't telling me. I wish I there
was a detailed instruction book I could buy from Janome. Have you
heard of such a thing?

Sparky

OK, I'll try to help if you can define "free-motion quilting stitches"
When I free-motion quilt on my 6600 I use the straight stitch. Are you
wanting to use a decorative stitch or the hand stitch look stitch or
something? If you can clarify what you mean, perhaps I or another 6600
user on this list can help.

No such thing as a better instruction book from Janome (or an
independent publisher). Several are dreaming of one. Someone could
make good money from one.

As for dealing for a machine price. All sewing machine dealers that I
have bought from deal for prices. It's rather like buying a car for
sticker price v. dealing with the salesman. Depending on the dealer you
can negotiate different things. In the files section of the 6500 yahoo
group you can see not only what people paid for their machines but what
they got thrown in...me, I got 5 years service...others got the luggage.

marcella
Old August 28th 06, 10:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

I have a 6500. A friend who also had a 6500 was asked to take a 6600,
to consumer test it. She told them she didn't like it as much as the
6500. Perhaps they have tried to put just too much onto it? I don't
know any details. I'm just happy with my 6500 - no wish to change up a
number!

Sorry that's not much help to you, is it?
..
In message . com,
Sparky writes
Friends,

Has anyone else bought a Janome Memory Craft 6600? What do you think
of it? Have you had any problems with it? I bought one several months
ago and I'm still ambivalent. I love some of the features, but I'm not
impressed with others and I'm not sure I'd buy one again.

Sparky

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old August 28th 06, 10:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Me again, Sparky!
Someone on the Janome stand that I met at a show, showed me the fabric
book she had made on her 6500 to illustrate to herself all the different
stitches in actual fact, rather than just the diagram on the display
board. She also made notes on things she had noticed etc.
This was far more comprehensive than the manual. The manual is really
only a starting point.
..
In message . com,
Sparky writes

Old August 28th 06, 10:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
MB

I read a price in the Yahoo group from someone in in NH that they paid
$1100 for theirs. The price I got locally was $1499 which is the same
price that they quoted at a local quilt show a few months ago as "special".
I inquired about their Platinum Gem at the same time and was told that it
was $499. but I wasn't given a price for the two for a 'deal'. Nothing
else was offered either --no luggage carrier....or lots of thread as one gal
I know got
for ther 6500.....or hard case was mentioned. The dealers were just
learning about the machine themselves so I didn't really get a lot of
info...
just more or less the basics I think. I have the feeling that they
might
upgrade the next model w/ bobbin low light !...which I love on my Pfaff and
hate to buy one now if so . I did really like the FM quilting on it...I
think it
moved to easily to the sides as well as back and forth which I feel I kind
of
tug/fight a bit on my Brother 1500. But that might be me and not having
the
right pressure .

One thing that I think was lacking at the Yahoo groups for the 6600 was
a lot of info that could be used in a manual. Maybe the info is there but
it would take a lot of perusing the posts and I just do not have the time to
go through the thousands there . I'd love to glean the good info there but
don't know how
to find it w/o reading every post. Mary

oups.com...