[Ganoksin] [Issue #151] Tips From The Jeweler's Bench

Old March 29th 06, 08:17 AM posted to alt.diamonds.marketplace,alt.diamonds,rec.crafts.polymer-clay

Default [Ganoksin] [Issue #151] Tips From The Jeweler's Bench

The Ganoksin Project
S i n c e 1 9 9 6
Jewelry Manufacturing Methods and Techniques
http://www.ganoksin.com

Clasp - A Convergence of Jewelers.
Nashville, Tennessee, September 15-17, 2006.

http://www.claspconvergence.com

Brought to you by Rio Grande, The Ganoksin Project, Manufacturing
Jewelers and Suppliers of America (MJSA), The Society of North American
Goldsmiths (SNAG), and Bench Media.

In This Edition:

1. Blue Spinel Turns Heads With New Top-grade Material on The Market
2. Red Labrodite? - What Is It?
3. Fabricating a Platinum Sphere Pendant with a Laser
4. Book Review - Making the Most of Your Flex-shaft
5. Behind the Design - Lisa Jenks

New Orchid Gallery Pages:

6. Arthur Hash
7. Betty Belmonte
8. Catherine Ondrey
9. Christen Douglass
10. David Nobbe
11. Ed Retherford
12. Heather M. Skowood
13. Joanna Gollberg
14. Kimberly Starbard
15. Lisa Bialac-Jehle
16. Sarah Pezdek-Smith

In This Edition of Tips From The Jeweler's Bench
http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/tip_sear.htm

New Book! - Making the Most of Your Flex-shaft
By Karen Christians

Making the Most of Your Flex-shaft is the one resource you'll need to
ensure you gain maximum advantage from your flex-shaft system. Learn
how to select the right system, how to choose and use the latest
accessories and attachments, and how to properly maintain your system
for extended life. See why so many jewelers are reading this book and
discovering what they didn't know about their flex-shaft systems!

Prime Sponsor: Rio Grande
Patrons: Foredom and 3M Inc

Price: $34.95 (Shipping: $5 USA, $9 International)

Get your own copy of Making the Most of Your Flex-shaft:
http://www.ganoksin.com/item--Orchid...-flexshaftbook

1. Blue Spinel Turns Heads With New Top-grade Material on The Market
By Diana Jarrett

Well worth a fresh inspection under the loupe is some fine blue spinel
currently on the market. An ancient group of related minerals, spinel
likely owes its name to the Old Latin sintill -- from which the word
scintillation was derived. And a good descriptive name it is. If you
haven't considered blue spinel for a fine jewelry piece, remember that
its density assures a high polish when faceted. Rating an 8 on the Mohs
scale, this gem doesn't need to be coddled in protective mountings,
either....

Complete Story:
http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nenam/blue-spinel.htm

2. Red Labrodite? - What Is It?
By Diana Jarrett

Orange and red stones of every kind stood out at this year's
sensory-overloaded Tucson gem and mineral shows, but one major puzzle
for gem lovers was an orange-red feldspar with an identity crisis. At
one exhibit, the dealer called the stone andesine from the Congo. His
finest specimens were comparable in price to the best-quality
tanzanite. Other companies also sold the stone as andesine, "Congo
sunstone," "red labradorite," or occasionally the more factual "red
feldspar." And just to make things a little more confusing, the same
material is also found in green. The prices were literally all over the
map. A Tucson vendor confessed that he and his colleagues snoop out
their competitors' prices. Within three days, they adjusted their
pricing to be more competitive with each other. What is red
labradorite? Is it the same as andesine? Where does sunstone fit in?...

Complete Story:
http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nenam/red-labrodite.htm

3. Fabricating a Platinum Sphere Pendant with a Laser
By Jurgen J. Maerz

It's becoming common practice to do more and more platinum fabrication
with a laser welder. For this project, you need about a foot of 0.25 mm
hard platinum wire. You can purchase hard wire from a metal supplier,
or draw it down from a larger size without annealing to achieve the
hardness required. You also need a wooden bead (the diameter of which
is up to you), superglue, and a laser welder....

Complete Story:
http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nena...re-pendant.htm

4. Book Review - Making the Most of Your Flex-shaft
By Alan Revere

A welcome addition to the literature now coming out for bench jewelers,
Making the Most of Your Flex-shaft by Karen Christians is an
informative compilation of material for anyone who takes tools
seriously. Everyone with a flex-shaft understands what a valuable tool
this is. Here is a chance to learn more about it in order to maximize
its effectiveness, efficiency and longevity, whether you are a beginner
or advanced flex-shaft user....

Complete Story:
http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nenam/flex-shaft-r1.htm

5. Behind the Design - Lisa Jenks
By John Shanahan

Eighteen months ago, New York City-based designer Lisa Jenks began a
partnership with Origins, the well-known skin care products store. As
the venture has progressed, she's created everything from compacts to
pomanders for potpourri to votive candle holders, all in her signature
style -- and expanded the reach of her business at the same time....

Complete Story:
http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nenam/lisa-jenks.htm

New Orchid Gallery Pages:

6. Arthur Hash

The definition of contemporary jewelry is always being stretched to
include alternative materials such as cardboard, resins, found
materials and animal parts. Today with our technologically driven
society, materials seem to coincide with popular culture. This is the
dawn of entertainment art. Formal qualities fall by the wayside and the
viewer no longer gets lost in the piece. These issues of formal beauty
are replaced with everyday pop-culture iconography. With today's low
attention span/ instant gratification society, the one-liner piece
seems to have more of a foot hold on today's culture and more of an
impact on the contemporary art viewer. Color field, pattern repetition
and formal materials that seemed to lure viewers in the past have been
supplanted with contemporary imagery, social issues and political
motives....

Complete Story:
http://www.ganoksin.com/orchid/hash.htm

7. Betty Belmonte

Showing:

--bracelet twined in fine silver over sterling with niobium coils

--necklace twined in 24K gold over sterling with blue topaz and
amythyst beads....

Complete Story:
http://www.ganoksin.com/orchid/belmonte.htm

8. Catherine Ondrey

I strive to take the art of glass one step further by incorporating
glass in my jewelry designs utilizing the same techniques I use with
stone - by cutting, shaping and setting the glass in metal. Gemstones
are often added as a finishing touch. My designs range from classic
contemporary to whimsical.

Complete Story:
http://www.ganoksin.com/orchid/catherine-ondrey.htm

9. Christen Douglass

Christen Douglass, owner of Black Water Siren Studio, is a self-taught
jewelry designer working primarily in gem set sterling silver and 14k
gold, producing bothcast jewelry andone-of-a-kind pieces. "Jewelry has
been a life long passion for me. My earliest memories are of a large
box ofmy mother's costume jewelry, whichI would spend hours taking
apart and redesigning whenI was a young child.I have been designing
jewelry ever since, drawing my inspiration from the ocean and my
environment."....

Complete Story:
http://www.ganoksin.com/orchid/douglass.htm

10. David Nobbe

My avocation as a goldsmith began in 2003 after retiring to Mexico from
the U.S. Many of my designs have roots in Aztec and other Mexican
symbols, as well as from the spatial relationships found in the designs
of Mexican architects such as Barragan and Legorreta. Much of my work
contains fine opals, amber and other stones found in Mexico, as well as
other semi-precious and precious stones from around the world. All of
my work is fabricated from silver and gold and my most satisfying hours
are spent with a saw in my hand....

Complete Story:
http://www.ganoksin.com/orchid/nobbe.htm

11. Ed Retherford

My name is Ed Retherford, and I am completely self taught in jewelry
repair, design, and construction, as well as watch repair, and have
been at the bench since I was 12 years old (now 49). My wife and I have
a small mom and pop sized store in Kokomo Indiana for the last 20
years. Attached is a single picture with a set of Monopoly tokens that
I made for myself. I handcarved all the wax models for each piece, then
had Larry Paul Casting cast them all in solid 18k gold for the tokens,
and sterling silver for the houses and hotels....

Complete Story:
http://www.ganoksin.com/orchid/diamondeddy.htm

12. Heather M. Skowood

Heather's designs are bold geometric forms inspired by contemporary
architecture and industrial machinery. The result is jewellery with an
expressive and everlasting quality that defies trend for men and women
who demand attention. The Fluff Jewellery Collection is inspired by a
friend's belly button fluff collection and whimsically interpreted in
silver and dyed cotton wool....

Complete Story:
http://www.ganoksin.com/orchid/skowood.htm

13. Joanna Gollberg

My work is based on how materials and tools work together to help me
design: what the metal can do...how I can fit different shapes
together. I am interested in repetitive elements, in movement, and
pushing the boundaries of what might be called traditional jewelry,
while keeping the work extremely wearable and functional. Basically, I
love to make wearable pieces out of metal. It is what pays the bills,
but also what makes me happy....

Complete Story:
http://www.ganoksin.com/orchid/joanna-gollberg.htm

14. Kimberly Starbard

My name is Kim Starbard and I operate as Cove Beads.

My work is mainly in off-loom beadweaving Using a needle and thread, I
stitch tiny beads together in various shapes and designs. The earrings
pictured are made using tiny, gold-plated glass beads woven together in
a beaded leaf fringe with quartz drops. The work itself is very tedious
and can only be done under a powerful magnifier. Though difficult, it
is also very relaxing and almost meditative. I have been beading for
about six years and recently have decided to expand my skills and
attempt to form what I can learn into an ongoing career. I have begun
to teach locally in Guilford, Connecticut and am marketing myself
through galleries and art/craft shows in the Northeastern United
States.....

Complete Story:
http://www.ganoksin.com/orchid/starbard.htm

15. Lisa Bialac-Jehle

Sweeping statements about myself are not my strong suit. As anyone who
knows me can tell you, anything else is fair game. I can certainly
state that I am driven to make things. I feel that all of the magic
goes into the process. Sounds pretty hokey I suppose, but finishing
each piece to me, is like finishing a prayer. I lose the connection
when the piece is complete. I hope people who see the things I make and
are actually moved enough to want to pay to possess them, take the work
home and create their own magic....

Complete Story:
http://www.ganoksin.com/orchid/bialac.htm

16. Sarah Pezdek-Smith

Artist Sarah Pezdek-Smith is a mixed media artist who resides in
Clifton Park, NY. In 2000, she created Rustic Relics Designs focusing
on her one-of-a-kind jewelry. Today, the art of Rustic Relics Designs
has expanded to include wearable art, fiber, glass, paper and metal
art. Through experimentation and education, Sarah has found her niche
in her love of mixed media collage art, which can be seen in the
majority of her work....

Complete Story:
http://www.ganoksin.com/orchid/pezdek.htm

You're all invited to participate & help keep the Orchid Galleries &
community spinning!

The Orchid Galleries are the visual front of the forum, currently
featuring 178 individual artist's pages.

http://www.ganoksin.com/orchid/gallery.htm

Please share your work with your us! Participation is Free!!

Submission Guidelines
---------------------
Send photos of your work in JPG format to .
Please include some information about yourself and your work.

~ Artist: Your name
~ Contact info: E-mail address
~ Descriptions: Picture 1, Picture 2, Picture 3
~ Photo Credit: Photographer's name
~ Artist Statement

~ Note: Photos must be at least 200dpi and 500 pixels wide

We require high quality photography. While we do not judge your
design work, we reserve the right to refuse photos of lesser quality.

How Can You Help the Ganoksin Project?

The Ganoksin Project goal is to build a strong pool of information,
freely accessible, for the benefit of the trade and the general public.
If you benefited from our services and agree with our mission here's
what you can do to be part of our project.

1. Make a small donation
http://www.ganoksin.com/donate/

2. Advertise your business on Ganoksin
http://www.ganoksin.com/kosana

3. Tell newsgroup or mailing list about Ganoksin

Do you have a newsgroup? Are you a newsgroup member? Do you have a
mailing list? Then you can help us. Tell your newsgroup or mailing list
about The Ganoksin Project!

4. Invite a friend to join Orchid
http://www.ganoksin.com/invite.htm

5. Link to us from your pages
http://www.ganoksin.com/resources/about-linking.htm

6. Help us correct errors and broken links

7. Help us with spelling and grammar - Tell us about misspellings or
grammatical errors

The idea of requesting donations is to ensure the continued existence
and prosperity of the Orchid community and The Ganoksin website. It is
important that the group pay its own way if it is to be healthy.
Remember: The Ganoksin Project does not need to be wealthy, just
"healthy" :-)

Even if you choose not to support the project financially, you are
still welcome to use and enjoy Ganoksin services. Although the
information on this site is free, as is the access to it through the
Archives, the support system which makes this community possible is not
free. It costs money. Please consider supporting us with your kind
donation.

http://www.ganoksin.com/donate/

Thank you for being part of The Ganoksin project and for your kind
support!!

Put an Orchid on your Bench

Join the most popular online community for jewelery makers, The Orchid
forums at http://www.ganoksin.com/orchid

The Ganoksin Project (http://www.ganoksin.com) is the largest virtual
single information source for searchable archived content for jewelry
and metals in the world. Its 6,500 Orchid members foster sharing,
support community, enhance productivity and encourage studio safety, by
promoting education in the jewelry and metal arts worldwide.