discouraged & hunting some on- topic posts to be inspired?????????

Old October 11th 05, 11:29 PM
Kathy Applebaum

" Ellison" wrote in message
. ..

The Padres made it to the play-offs, then wasted no time
giving way to the Cardinals. g Doesn't matter to me
who wins it, really, because the Swap's the thing. ;-P

I noticed the Padres were orphans in the postseason swap. I was looking
forward to taking your FQ from you. ;-P

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

Old October 11th 05, 11:32 PM
Kris Bishop

Hi ,
Great idea & since it's a holiday quilt, it might be a red brick
chimney quilt.

Kris

KI Graham wrote:
hmmm...maybe since they're all red [as in brick red?] it should be a brick
brick road.

Old October 12th 05, 12:17 AM
Don/Gen

Thanks.
Gen

" Ellison" wrote in message
. ..
Howdy!

http://web.utk.edu/~carys/baseball2/homeplate.html

This week we're mailing our swap squares to the
Swap Mistresses who will chuck them into their appropriate
bags and mail them back to us in 2 weeks.
The Padres made it to the play-offs, then wasted no time
giving way to the Cardinals. g Doesn't matter to me
who wins it, really, because the Swap's the thing. ;-P

Ragmop/Sandy-- check these colors in baseball quilts:
http://web.utk.edu/~carys/baseball2/quilts.html

"Don/Gen" wrote in message
What's the url for the Baseball swap?
Gen

" Ellison" wrote in message
.. .

. Next time we'll talk about the Baseball
SWAP!!! Swap--got that, Kris? Swap? And Yellow? ;-D

Old October 12th 05, 12:21 AM
Don/Gen

I enjoy the group just the way it is. I like all the OT posts. Since
actual quilting is a small part of my daily life, there are a lot of on
topic posts that don't interest me. I do a lot of machine embroidery,
garment sewing and some quilting. It feels like a family here.
Gen

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
ink.net...
I would go sit by Butterfly on this one except she would want to pass me
another doctor. The gators are just too busy to be bothered right now;
there's a heap of insurance guys about that the gators simply must tend

to.
I am as guilty as Butterfly about wanting and needing to hear from you.
Tell us about the new babies, floods, hurts, prayer needs, moving, or
whatever life is handing you. You are a grand group of friends and I love
that you share with us. Polly

"Butterfly" wrote Waving madly!
GUILTY GUILTY GUILTY
(Yeah, Kris knows I'm not yelling--not my style--I LET you know when I'm
yelling)
But I ain't changing cause this is my ONLY outlet, quilt group, Quilting
Bee whatever you wanna call it. Can't go to class, meetings. etc so this
is MY Group of friends that I can share everything from the dumb medic

the brilliant Dr to the latest Table Runner completion (which I JUST
finished--haven't even posted on that one yet (see Kris it IS on topic--

lil)

Butterfly (who had the title of Queen of Off Topic--when I first came on
here--was it Miz Sairey?)

Old October 12th 05, 02:08 AM
Trixie

I've only been on the newsgroup for about a year, and even in that short
period of time I've noticed the same thing.

"Kris Bishop" wrote in message
Hi All,
I just signed on to read my daily RCTQ and was hoping to see some
topics about quilting to inspire me. I've been on this newsgroup for
about eight years and am finding it harder to find topics about quilting
here. There were just a few this morning to read.

I'm like the next person and think is all right to post some off topic
things, but it seems that there aren't too many on-topic threads to read
anymore. Nearly everything is off-topic ( it has reversed itself and
doesn't really feel like a quilting newsgroup anymore). Am I
mis-interpreting this? If I am, I'm sorry.

I've never left the newsgroup, but I seem to be deleting three
fourths of the messages. There just isn't enough time in the day to read
hundreds of messages about other topics. If I did that, I'd never get
any quilting done and wouldn't be living my life away from the computer.
grin As you all know from my postings ( and I've met a lot of you
personally at meet-ups and quilt shows) over the years, I try to keep
pretty busy and am in a lot of different quilting and stitching groups.

Am I the only one feeling this way? Sorry if I'm wrong.

Kris ( in rainy, northern Virginia, heading to the sewing room to
finish putting the border on another quilt)

Old October 12th 05, 02:51 AM
Carolyn McCarty

Amen!

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo

If it ain't broke, you aren't trying. --Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools --Red Green

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
ink.net...
I would go sit by Butterfly on this one except she would want to pass me
another doctor. The gators are just too busy to be bothered right now;
there's a heap of insurance guys about that the gators simply must tend to.
I am as guilty as Butterfly about wanting and needing to hear from you.
Tell us about the new babies, floods, hurts, prayer needs, moving, or
whatever life is handing you. You are a grand group of friends and I love
that you share with us. Polly

"Butterfly" wrote Waving madly!
GUILTY GUILTY GUILTY
(Yeah, Kris knows I'm not yelling--not my style--I LET you know when I'm
yelling)
But I ain't changing cause this is my ONLY outlet, quilt group, Quilting
Bee whatever you wanna call it. Can't go to class, meetings. etc so this
is MY Group of friends that I can share everything from the dumb medic to
the brilliant Dr to the latest Table Runner completion (which I JUST
finished--haven't even posted on that one yet (see Kris it IS on topic--
a lil)

Old October 12th 05, 11:52 AM
Johanna Gibson

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 18:08:06 -0700, "Trixie"
wrote:

I've only been on the newsgroup for about a year, and even in that short
period of time I've noticed the same thing.

If this happens on a yahoo group, I just unsubscribe. I have too
many friends here to simply leave, but I've noticed it too. Sometimes
I'm really in the mood for an on-topic sewing discussion, like the
Jacob's Ladder recently. Occasionally I want to see what folks are
doing with their pets, children, hurricanes.... so I check into that.
I think careful use of the filters and snipping should be encouraged.
I also think folks should take certain debates and topics to email
instead of the group, but that's my opinion. We can't stop folks from
posting whatever they want to post here.

-- Jo in Scotland
Old October 12th 05, 12:32 PM
Sally Swindells

Yes, I find the Yahoo groups that stray from the subject annoying. I
usually forget to unsubscribe though, just stop going there!

I've started restricting what I read too - it had just started to take
over my day! Unfortunately Free Agent doesn't do filters, though I can
block a thread if I don't like it, but I only do that on the rare
occasions when things get out of hand - don't want to spend valuable
time blocking something where there will only be one or two messages.

I used to download all the messages, and then just click the 'next
message' button - so I only looked at the next message as it arrived
on the screen - not at the subject at all, and I read abolutely
everything, including scrolling through a long previous messages to
find that all that was at the bottom was 'Good' or Oh dear'!. Now I
have a quick wizz through the subjects and mark and delete those which
are of no interest, eg quilt shops in places I will never go to;
threads I have read the beginings of and know are of no interest, etc.
I find that some OT posts are of interest, and others not - and the
same goes for 'relevant' posts.

I also don't read later on in the evening - when I am tired I read
everything; follow all the links and read them too, and discover that
bedtime has come and gone, and I feel dreadful the next morning.

But I would really miss it if I didn't read/reply at all

wrote:

I've only been on the newsgroup for about a year, and even in that short
period of time I've noticed the same thing.

If this happens on a yahoo group, I just unsubscribe. I have too
many friends here to simply leave, but I've noticed it too. Sometimes
I'm really in the mood for an on-topic sewing discussion, like the
Jacob's Ladder recently. Occasionally I want to see what folks are
doing with their pets, children, hurricanes.... so I check into that.
I think careful use of the filters and snipping should be encouraged.
I also think folks should take certain debates and topics to email
instead of the group, but that's my opinion. We can't stop folks from
posting whatever they want to post here.

-- Jo in Scotland

--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~
Old October 12th 05, 12:34 PM
Sally Swindells

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 11:32:10 +0000 (UTC), Sally Swindells
wrote:

[...]

And if I forget to put a signature on the bottom, no one will know who
I am anyway!
--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~
Old October 12th 05, 01:36 PM
Carolyn McCarty

LOL, I always wondered why I sometimes felt like I had a hangover without
having anything to drink the previous evening. Now I know....it's an RCTQ
hangover!! Seriously, same here. Always check the group in the morning and
skim for what is important to me that day, then mark all as read. Otherwise
I'd never get anything done. What with a full-time job, and my mother, I
have little enough time for quilting as it is. This group is for relaxing
with my first cup of coffee, cheering or praying for folks who have needs,
and refreshing my mind. It's like a huge quilting group, and the chatter
around the sewing machines and quilt frames is only partly "on
topic"........which is as it should be in any group of women with a wide
range of interests.

So don't get too strictly topical, folks, I would miss those glimpses of a
fascinating world of friends.

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo

If it ain't broke, you aren't trying. --Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools --Red Green

"Sally Swindells" wrote in message
news
Yes, I find the Yahoo groups that stray from the subject annoying. I
usually forget to unsubscribe though, just stop going there!

gently snipped