Newbie?

Old July 2nd 05, 09:21 PM
Jeanne Burton

Default Newbie?

Hi my name is Cindy and I have been watching your group for a while.
Is is a really active group? Sometimes it goes for days without a
post, and I wondered why. I am a stamper. I have been actively
scrapping and stamping for over a year. Started out as a way to buy
accucut dies for our school. I hosted a scrapbooking night twice a
month and for $5 anyone could come and crop. I provided chocolate and
drinks and we had a great time. I had a stampin up rep every time
with make it and take it and once a creative memories rep there to
sell stuff, and while they didn't get rich off of us, they got to crop
as well.
I make a living as a charter school teacher. Last year I taught 3/4
mulltiage class. This year I am not sure what group I will have, we
have a strange enrollment. I have a 7 year old boy and a 4 year old
girl. I am a single mom. As the kids got older I thought I would
have more time for my hobbies (I have been a quiller for 31 years),
but it is just the opposite. Their activities take all of my time.
I would like to join your group, if possible. I always like new ideas
and techniques.

Cindy
Old July 4th 05, 11:33 PM
Arleen

Hey Cindy! Welcome...this group has its moments when it is active, but for
the most part I think people frequent other boards as we tend to get a lot
of ads here. Have you checked out rec.crafts.scrapbooks? I am active over
there, and we talk about a variety of topics craftwise. It is a nice group
of ladies and gentlemen. Not to scare you off from here though...I post when
I can add something relevant. I'm Arleen, and have been scrapping and
stamping for about 6 years...I am a CTMH consultant and mom to a 15 and 11
year old. I totally understand how your children's activities take over your
life! Welcome,
Arleen

Old July 5th 05, 06:39 AM
Jeanne Burton

Arleen, thanks for responding. I have been lurking at scrapbooks, but
I am a little overwhelmed by that site. So many posts, during the
summer I may be able to keep up, but during the school year I am not
so sure. I will think about it and maybe join in.

Cindy--
On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 18:33:14 -0400, "Arleen"
wrote:

Hey Cindy! Welcome...this group has its moments when it is active, but for
the most part I think people frequent other boards as we tend to get a lot
of ads here. Have you checked out rec.crafts.scrapbooks? I am active over
there, and we talk about a variety of topics craftwise. It is a nice group
of ladies and gentlemen. Not to scare you off from here though...I post when
I can add something relevant. I'm Arleen, and have been scrapping and
stamping for about 6 years...I am a CTMH consultant and mom to a 15 and 11
year old. I totally understand how your children's activities take over your
life! Welcome,
Arleen
.. .

Old July 6th 05, 06:14 PM
Barbara Hass

Cindy,

Welcome! I have been watching this group for almost a year, but have
seen less than ten non-advertisement threads in that entire time (not
taking into account the times I went for a while without checking in).
I started stamping about three years ago. I don't scrapbook, but I do
make cards - lots and lots of cards!

I am always happy to correspond with fellow stampers. If you start a
thread with questions or a topic to discuss, maybe we can draw some
people out and start making the newsgroup more active!

Barbara

Old July 6th 05, 07:35 PM
Jeannette Marsala

Hi everyone,
I've been lurking as well, and thought I'd pop up and say hello. I've
been collecting stamps for a few years, but haven't done much stamping,
and would love to learn more. Recently I moved, and decided to try
displaying all my stamps in a small media bookcase from Target, although
I think I need another one, since I have so many -- especially smaller
stamps. I recently started buying unmounted stamps, and am figuring out
how I want to organize those. I would like to store them in a binder,
with another binder as a reference (have pages on themes, and stamp on
those pages, so I can quickly see what I have). We'll see.

Anyways, I hope this group gets more active. I have a feeling there's
quite a few of us just waiting for something other than ads being posted.

Jeannette
Old July 7th 05, 02:36 AM
Pat Kight

Jeannette Marsala wrote:
Hi everyone,
I've been lurking as well, and thought I'd pop up and say hello. I've
been collecting stamps for a few years, but haven't done much stamping,
and would love to learn more. Recently I moved, and decided to try
displaying all my stamps in a small media bookcase from Target, although
I think I need another one, since I have so many -- especially smaller
stamps. I recently started buying unmounted stamps, and am figuring out
how I want to organize those. I would like to store them in a binder,
with another binder as a reference (have pages on themes, and stamp on
those pages, so I can quickly see what I have). We'll see.

Anyways, I hope this group gets more active. I have a feeling there's
quite a few of us just waiting for something other than ads being posted.

There was a time when the newsgroup was full of interesting discussions
about stamps and stamping - check the Google Groups archives and you'll see
what I mean.

Over time, though, the regular contributors got drowned out by the ads ...
and bored with answering the same questions over and over. And to be
honest, I think the general interest in stamping has tapered off quite a
bit from what it was just a few years ago. The few stamping stores in my
area have gone out of business or switched over to a scrapping emphasis
(nothing wrong with scrapping, but not all stdampers are scrappers, or vice
versa).

I still have more than a thousand stamps and all the accoutrements down in
my studio, but I confess that I hardly touch them these days unless I need
to make a quick card or something. I've taken up knitting, and these days
my disposable income goes for yarn and patterns rather than stamps and ink
and paper.

The best way to revive a newsgroup is to ask questions and start
discussions. If they're interesting enough, I imagine folks will come out
of the woodwork again.

--
Pat Kight

Old July 7th 05, 07:49 PM
Barbara Hass

Jeannette Marsala wrote:

Hi everyone,
I've been lurking as well, and thought I'd pop up and say hello. I've
been collecting stamps for a few years, but haven't done much stamping,
and would love to learn more. Recently I moved, and decided to try
displaying all my stamps in a small media bookcase from Target, although
I think I need another one, since I have so many -- especially smaller
stamps. I recently started buying unmounted stamps, and am figuring out
how I want to organize those. I would like to store them in a binder,
with another binder as a reference (have pages on themes, and stamp on
those pages, so I can quickly see what I have). We'll see.

Anyways, I hope this group gets more active. I have a feeling there's
quite a few of us just waiting for something other than ads being posted.

Jeannette

Jeannette,

A suggestion when you are organizing your binder - if a stamp could go
in more than one category, put it in the category you'll likely think of
first. Then stamp the image and put the image in each of the other
possible categories, and say "see......" For example, if you have a
cute duckling. Put the actual stamp in animals. But then also put a
stamped image in "baby" and write under it "see Animals."

Do you use the EZ mount system? I've been debating purchasing that system.

Barbara

Old July 7th 05, 07:56 PM
Jeannette Marsala

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll probably will start working on the index
binder in a month or so. I hope to make it as fun as possible, playing
with some different techniques and colors. I plan to organize the actual
stamps by manufacturer, if possible.

Yes, I am using the EZ Mount system, and so far I like it. I started
buying some stamps from unmountedcentral.com and their stamps already
have the EZ Mount foam on, and Ijust had to buy some acrylic handles.
The EZ Mount is easy, and I don't have to worry about velco or double
stick tape.

Jeannette
Old July 8th 05, 11:49 AM
Kenda

Oh what a good idea! I didn't really orginze my stamps, just stamped away
in a binder.......(hanging head thinking of the daunting task of
re-stamping/orginzing my images.....)

--
Kenda
(remove nospam to use email addy)

"Barbara Hass" wrote in message
Jeannette,

A suggestion when you are organizing your binder - if a stamp could go
in more than one category, put it in the category you'll likely think of
first. Then stamp the image and put the image in each of the other
possible categories, and say "see......" For example, if you have a
cute duckling. Put the actual stamp in animals. But then also put a
stamped image in "baby" and write under it "see Animals."

Do you use the EZ mount system? I've been debating purchasing that

system.

Barbara

newbie with a tatting question FtForger Yarn 6 July 1st 04 06:18 PM
Hi all Newbie here ACcash Yarn 10 June 25th 04 02:25 PM
Newbie question for a machine knit lace pattern... Diamanda_of_Lancre Yarn 4 April 9th 04 10:29 AM
newbie hugs Musicmaker Quilting 3 March 13th 04 07:15 PM
In Today's News: Terrified Quilting Newbie breaks silence! Liz and Steve Ford Quilting 33 August 17th 03 04:51 AM