what is a stretcher frame ?

Old February 27th 04, 01:20 PM
Tina Hoak

Default what is a stretcher frame ?

Just wondering what is a stretcher frame and where can you find them ?

--
Tina
Brockport NY

Old February 27th 04, 01:27 PM
georg

Tina Hoak wrote:

Just wondering what is a stretcher frame and where can you find them ?

In terms of painting, it's the wooden frame you stretch the canvas on.
They come in sets of 2, so you can decide what the width and legth of
the frame will be. You can buy them usually anywhere you can buy paint,
including Micheals and AC Moore, or online at Jerrys and Glick.

In terms of quilting, are you sure you don't mean quilting frame?

-georg

Old February 27th 04, 02:15 PM
KJ

I was the one who mentioned on my Webshots page that one of my quilts was
hung with a stretcher frame. After I quilted the Sunflower Mosaic, I
thought it was going to have very wavy sides. So my solution was to sew in
a flap of fabric all around the sides on the back. I then bound the quilt
as usual. If you can picture this, my quilt is now all finished from the
front and on the back there are four loose flaps. I bought the stretcher
strips at the art store that (luckily) were a measurement just inside the
stitched down binding. I pulled the flaps over the stretcher strips and
stapled them. Though the quilt laid quite flat after blocking, I like the
way the quilt is supported and looks from the side. I will try to put a
picture of the back of my quilt on my Webshots page sometime today. Clear
as mud??

--
Kathyl yup, that's an L

Old February 27th 04, 03:15 PM
KJ

I have posted some pictures of my quilt that is on the stretcher bars. My
pictures leave a lot to be desired but I think you can get the general idea
of what I've done. Contact me if you have any other questions and I'll try
to made you even more confused!

--
Kathyl yup, that's an L

Old February 27th 04, 03:39 PM
clancy

What absolutely beautiful work Kathyl ... and yes, you sure can handquilt
very nicely too. Now how do you say your name? :-)

Sharon (N.B.)

Old February 27th 04, 04:21 PM
KJ

My name is pronounced Ka'-thul . Thanks for your kind words. I think my
handquilting has regressed due to lack of practice over the past couple
years. And I'm not very inclined to start practicing again. I dislike the
sore fingers! OW!

--
Kathyl yup, that's an L

Old February 27th 04, 04:39 PM
Kathy in CA

I wanna see but when I click on the link I get "page cann be displayed" !
--
Kathy in CA
Quilting Stuff:

Old February 27th 04, 04:48 PM
KJ

Maybe the site was down for a bit. It's coming up for me, but loading
slowly. An internet burp maybe.

--
Kathyl yup, that's an L

Old February 27th 04, 05:17 PM
Taria

Those are some very beautiful quilts Kathyl.
The New York beauty is stunning.
thanks for sharing.
If anyone has seen Ann Leatz' work she does
wonderful floral applique that are all done
on stretcher bars.
Taria

Old February 27th 04, 06:12 PM
Tina Hoak

"KJ" wrote in message
I was the one who mentioned on my Webshots page that one of my quilts was
hung with a stretcher frame. After I quilted the Sunflower Mosaic, I
thought it was going to have very wavy sides. So my solution was to sew

in
a flap of fabric all around the sides on the back.

Kathyl yup, that's an L

Kathy,

Thank you for the photos . I like this idea of yours. The quilt looks so
nice a straight/ flat hanging on this frame !
I recently made my father a memory quilt and it is hanging in his office. He
is complaining that the one bottom corner has a little
wavy in it and he can't read all the grandchildren's names going around the
outside border. This seems like the perfect solution !
Now I just have to retro fit the strips to the quilt ... shouldn't be too
hard
Thanks again
--
Tina