Will will I learn

Old August 4th 10, 11:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cindy Schmidt

Default Will will I learn

Kathyl ~ no she was a member of the group for 4 years and they lost one of
their instructors at the end of last year. They hired my daughter to be
involved with the dance movement part of it since she was a dancer for 15
years. I once again volunteered for this. One of these days it will come
to end. I may gripe and complain about it now BUT.....all good things must
come to an end.

Polly~ all of our girls/guys wear dance shoes. No boots here.
--
Cindy from GA
(but wants to be in MO)

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
My job with the band's flag corps was: fixin' the boots. Every pair of
those knee-high boots arrived shaped like round pipes. I had to sneak in
just above the ankle and shape the seam so they would stay put instead of
bagging and sagging. That's when we learned that a Pfaff can sew
anything. It was a ridiculous challenge but those sweet girls were so
happy to have boots that fit. Polly

"Kathyl"

Did they hire your daughter just so they would have you to make the
flags again? Just kidding. But they really hate to lose seamstress
volunteers!
KJ

Old August 5th 10, 11:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
AuntK

On Aug 3, 8:53*pm, "Cindy Schmidt" wrote:
You would think that after 5 years of sewing colorguard flags, twice a year
now that I would be more careful when sewing them.

I can't tell you how many times just tonight alone that I have had to rip
some out because there was an additional layer underneath. *This stuff is so
slick that it goes where IT wants to go and by the time I realize it, it's
time to rip.

Think I'm gonna go walk to dog for a few minutes to try to get him
accustomed to his new home. *Do they make such a thing as doggie depression
meds????

--
Cindy from GA
(but wants to be in MO)

I had the opportunity yesterday to watch and somewhat work with what
can only be described as a master sewist. DH and I fly hot air
balloons and when he landed the other night the balloon rocked into a
very large, very dead tree limb. Balloon got ripped and had to go for
repair. They are made from rip-stop nylon - about the same you are
probably using for your flags - slippery as goose doodoo. This man
does the most precise french felled seams without marking, without
using any implements for holding the fabric pieces together and does
it all while wrestling with roughly 800 yards of fabric! As I was
watching him sewing the new sections into place I was thinking about
asking him if he ever managed to sew the under layer to the top by
mistake but thought I'd wait until all the repairs were made so as to
not jinx the job! Well, I guess thinking it was all that was needed
for it to happen! Since it was then reality, I asked how often he had
that problem and he admitted it did happen once in a while. I have
never seen such precise, exacting sewing done before. And even he cut
the first set of repair pieces the wrong width forgetting the correct
seam allowance measurement but not before sewing the first panel into
place. I got to do the frogging - not easy with that fabric, twin
seams and really heavy thread - not easy.

So don't be too hard on yourself. And I don't mean to imply you are
not a master sewist, but this man does this day in and day out and has
for decades and is recognized as one of the best in field and still
has issues!

And I'm sure the pup will adjust soon. Ours have never seemed to mind
being in different places as long as they were with us so I can't
offer much help on that score.

Good luck with the flags.

Kim in steamy NJ
Old August 5th 10, 04:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cindy Schmidt

Thanks Kim. I can't even imagine trying to wrestle 800 yards of this cotton
picking fabric. I'd go completely bonkers.

I am by no way a master sewist but I do enjoy making these flags for the
girls. The looks on their faces is priceless when they are all said and
done and to me that's enough.

I'm still worried about the dog though. He is really missing my daughter
and her cat. She decided that since she is almost 20 that she didn't need
to make the move with us and that is a decision that we've all had to live
with. We moved here in April and I just brought the dog down a couple of
weeks ago as were making trips back and forth for awhile and it was just
easy to leave him there.

But after all of the flags are done and on their way, we are planning on
getting a kitten or two so hopefully that will make him feel at home again.

--
Cindy from GA
(but wants to be in MO)

"AuntK" wrote in message
[...]

OT but perhaps we could all learn something from this. Bernadette Yarn 23 May 30th 07 07:48 PM
way OT - but I did learn it here Karen, Queen of Squishies Quilting 7 April 18th 07 03:09 AM
old enough to learn? Amanda Tikkanen Yarn 12 February 6th 06 05:29 PM
Want to Learn Pottery Bubba Pottery 12 December 2nd 05 04:20 AM
How did you learn to bead? Pandi Beads 39 March 21st 04 03:52 AM