Asbestos

Old November 14th 07, 03:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
silverstall[_2_]

Default Asbestos

I do not care if others 'yawn' or if it looks as if I am here to
preach however until you have lost someone to this deadly substance
and have thoroughly researched the chemistry of this lethal substance
it is an act of folly to even consider using it outside the most
stringent of laboratory conditions. A lady (one of our neighbours)
developed an incurable asbestos-related cancer after simply hugging
her father who once worked in an environment where asbestos was used
http://news.bbc.co.uk/player/nol/new...7093019&news=1
So if you choose to use it, remember it is not just yourself that you
are exposing to an unnecessary risk - but your family, your employees
and/or your customers.

Old December 3rd 07, 04:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Frosty

her father who once worked in an environment where asbestos was usedhttp://news.bbc.co.uk/player/nol/newsid_7090000/newsid_7093000/709301...
So if you choose to use it, remember it is not just yourself that you
are exposing to an unnecessary risk - but your family, your employees
and/or your customers.

I'm sorry I never responded to you, Jeff. I've been quite busy & still
am. But I discovered your reply to my yawn here today & had to
respond.
A shame about Debbie Brewer and her dad. But both of them had far more
exposure to asbestos than I would have if I could get hold of any.
The times I used it in the past, we VERY CAREFULLY transferred just
the amount we were going to use for the job at hand, and quickly added
it to water.
We used it to heat sink whatever stone we were protecting, then, after
it cooled to room temperature, the whole thing, jewelry and all, went
back into water.
The jewelry was removed and the asbestos (which was again wet and
safe) was transported to a container of asbestos and water to be
disposed of later.
I can't say how it was disposed of as I was a mere employee and not
aware or goings on that were not in my job description.
As to exposing my family, at the time mentioned above. I had only cats
for family, but since I never was exposed as were Ms. Brewer & her
dad, I don't think it hurt them. (They both died at age 18 of old age
some years back.)
I would be even more careful were I to acquire any asbestos today. It
would be a shame, after going through the trouble to quit smoking as I
did in 2002, to get lung cancer now!
As to my customers, they'd damned well better stay the hell outta my
shop! Asbestos will be the least of their problems if I catch 'em in
there!

Frosty