Update on my cousin

Old May 12th 07, 07:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Not Likely

Default Update on my cousin

Matthew and I went to my sister's place last Saturday and spent the night.
Then on Sunday we followed her and my brother-in-law to Toronto to surprise
my cousin.

My sister called to let her know that she and her husband were on the way,
so Linda expected them, but she had no idea at all that we were coming too.
When we pulled up in front of the apartment building and parked behind my
brother-in-law, Matthew asked "Is that her?" as she walked off the sidewalk
talking to my sister. Yes it was... I turned off the motor, got out and
came up behind my brother-in-law's van, walked around the corner and said
"Hey you!" She glanced at me, then went in shock... "OH MY GOD, I can't
believe you're here!!!" She hugged me like she was never going to let go,
then went to give Matthew a hug too. She is so painfully thin, but looked
good considering all she's been through with the chemo and radiation therapy
over the last year.

We went into her apartment and met her son Liam who was also surprised to
see us. He and Matthew went to our van to carry in the two dressers we had
brought along for them. They also brought in the comfortghan that I had
made for them, which they both loved... Linda cuddled under it a lot that
day and through the night.... and also the two tubs of pasta salads and two
fluff pies I had made and brought along. A bit later when Linda went
outside to smoke (yes, she still smokes but my own doctor who knew her years
ago told me it doesn't matter at this point and she might as well enjoy
whatever she does enjoy while she can), I went out to keep her company...
she asked me if Matthew and I could stay overnight. We hadn't planned on
doing so, as we had left the dogs here at home unattended.. we fed them a
LOT and let them out before we were to leave on Saturday, and put papers and
LOTS of water down for them intending on feeding them late Sunday night when
we got home. When I told her this she looked so disappointed, that I took
Matthew aside and spoke to him about it... we both agreed that we would
stay, as we honestly don't know if we will see her again... although we are
all planning to, but God may have different plans for her by then.

After my sister and brother-in-law left to go home, the four of us sat down
to talk and laugh about old times, about newer things that the boys didn't
really know about each other or about us even... then we had the pasta
salads and fluff pies for supper. The boys went to Liam's room to play
computer and PS3 games, coming down every so often to join in our
conversation, and we could tell by their laughter that they had really hit
it off which pleased us both. Linda and I sat there talking and laughing
most of the night, with her cuddled under the comfortghan... and we also had
some serious bits of talking too. She asked her doctor if he had to choose
between 3, 6, 9 months or 1 year which would he say she has left... he told
her she likely only has 3 months left. :'o( She said she is scared but
tries not to think about it too much, and puts on a brave face as much as
possible, even though she does have a few moments where she will break and
have a cry... Linda *never* cries, but who could blame her for this? So far
I am the only person she has given the time frame to... she hasn't told her
son yet as she said "He has enough on his plate at the moment. I will tell
him soon though." Then we went back to talking and laughing about happier
things until we fell asleep, her on the large sofa and me on the loveseat
near her.... just like we used to when we were teens.

In the morning we had breakfast of eggs, bacon, and English muffin, and
juice then went back to the livingroom to talk more. Matthew and I had
planned on leaving at around noon so we could beat the Toronto rush hour
traffic, but we all sat there talking and dragging out the time as much as
possible, even though we all knew it was getting late. Finally Matthew said
"You know, we really should get going... it's coming up for 4:30 and we will
be in the middle of rush hour traffic." Liam and Linda both moaned, but
knew we really did have to leave. I added "Yes, and we have to get back to
feed the poor dogs who have been waiting for us to come home too." So they
walked us to our van, where we stood hanging on as long as possible talking
about unimportant stuff, then we hugged and once again it seemed like Linda
was never going to let go, but I didn't really want to let go either. She
whispered "I *will* see you again, you know!" I choked up and almost burst
into tears and said "You'd better! I'm counting on it.", then we broke from
each other and each hugged the other one's son and each told them "Take care
of your mother!" Then we hugged briefly again and I quickly got into the
van and we drove away waving. I told Matthew I wasn't going to talk about
any of it until we were outside of Toronto and I didn't have to watch and
concentrate on the rush hour traffic. Once we were out of the city though,
I told him (he promised not to say anything to Liam as it is up to Linda to
tell him) about the time frame and he wasn't surprised.

We absolutely want to get together with them again as much as possible. In
fact Liam and Matthew chat online everyday, and Linda and I email each other
every other day. Linda said she had doctor's appointments in June "but
after that it's all free sailing, so check your schedule and we'll work
something out about us coming to visit". She has looked into the cost of
train fare, which is more for one person one way than it cost for us to
drive a round trip, so we will be going to pick them up instead of them
taking the train. I told her while we were there that I wish she lived
closer... near or in our town... so we could see each other more often. She
said "That just might happen. You know that I love that town. I would LOVE
to live there!" When I was talking to my doctor yesterday and told him what
happened on the weekend, he told me that our visit and the two of us sitting
around talking and laughing about old times is probably the best thing that
could happen for her right now, and that it likely did her a world of good.
I sure hope so, I want to make whatever time she has left as nice and fun
for her as possible... and Matthew is forming a close bond with Liam so he
will know that he has someone and someplace to turn to afterward. As Linda
said though... "The doctor said three months, but it could be more... or
even less... only God knows exactly when. So just because the doctor said
three months, doesn't mean I believe it... I could be around longer than
that. IF therapy will give me an extra year, I will do it... but if they
see that it's moving very fast, I won't bother with it and instead will just
enjoy the quality of what's left." We plan on making the quality as good as
we can for her.

Please add Linda, and her son Liam; to your prayers, thoughts and good
wishes!

*hugs*
Gemini

Old May 12th 07, 07:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Katherine

On May 12, 2:24 pm, "Not Likely" notinthislifetime@yougottabejoking
wrote:
snip

Please add Linda, and her son Liam; to your prayers, thoughts and good
wishes!

They have been there for some time, Gem, as have you and Matthew.

Higs,
Katherine

Old May 12th 07, 11:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Not Likely

"Katherine" wrote in message
ups.com...
On May 12, 2:24 pm, "Not Likely" notinthislifetime@yougottabejoking
wrote:
snip

Please add Linda, and her son Liam; to your prayers, thoughts and good
wishes!

They have been there for some time, Gem, as have you and Matthew.

Higs,
Katherine

Thank you so much, Katherine!

*hugs*
Gem

Old May 13th 07, 03:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Spike Driver

Katherine wrote:
On May 12, 2:24 pm, "Not Likely" notinthislifetime@yougottabejoking
wrote:
snip
Please add Linda, and her son Liam; to your prayers, thoughts and good
wishes!

They have been there for some time, Gem, as have you and Matthew.

Higs,
Katherine

Very true Gem, God bless.
Dennis
Old May 13th 07, 05:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Not Likely

"YarnWright" wrote in message

Not Likely / Gemini . . .

You, Matthew and your entire extended family are ALWAYS included in my
prayers.
Being diverse in my beliefs, I also send good vibes and thoughts!
Love,
Noreen

Thank you so much, Noreen!

*hugs*
Gem

Old May 13th 07, 05:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Not Likely

"Spike Driver" wrote in message
Katherine wrote:
On May 12, 2:24 pm, "Not Likely" notinthislifetime@yougottabejoking
wrote:
snip
Please add Linda, and her son Liam; to your prayers, thoughts and good
wishes!

They have been there for some time, Gem, as have you and Matthew.

Higs,
Katherine

Very true Gem, God bless.
Dennis

Thank you so much, Dennis!

*hugs*
Gem

update on cousin Maine-iac Rose Yarn 9 February 15th 04 03:52 PM
update on cousin Maine-iac Rose Quilting 6 February 15th 04 02:42 AM
update on cousin Maine-iac Rose Sewing 6 February 15th 04 02:42 AM