OT Kamikaze quirrel

Old August 30th 08, 08:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Default OT Kamikaze quirrel

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2...tes_car_i.html

Guard your stash well, and get your peanut butter under lock and key!
This may mean the little beggers are finally making a bid for world
domination.

NightMist
never did trust the overly cute garden thieving little snots
--

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.
Old August 30th 08, 05:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pauline

Default Those darned squirrels OT Kamikaze quirrel

I finally got a "solution" for keeping the squirrels and rats away from my
birdfeeder. It's a big saucer, with an insert that has holes in it. The
saucer is attached to the bird feeder with hooks. I have not seen one
mouse/rat since I installed it & I empty the saucer everyday of the birdseed
that has fallen into it. Those darned squirrels are still giving me grief.
Somehow, they are jumping onto the birdfeeder & chewing holes in the "heavy
duty" plastic insert to get to the spilled bird seed. DH bought the saucer
about 2 weeks ago & I doubt it will last more than another 2 weeks, with the
way the squirrels are going at it. Short of emptying the saucer every half
hour, I am clueless as to what to do to keep the squirrels away. Anybody
out there have any suggestions?

Pauline
Northern California

Old August 30th 08, 06:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

pepper spray on the saucer??? or perhaps that would just be considered a
condiment.....

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi

Old August 30th 08, 06:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pauline

Hmm. I do have pepper spray, but maybe just some hot sauce would work too.
I wouldn't want to harm the birds & i don't think they ever go to the saucer
to eat. Okay - that's wrong, I'm looking right out my window at the bird
feeder & there is a bird sitting in the saucer - eating! So, that rules out
the pepper spray. Thank Kathy. Anyone else?

Pauline
Northern California

Old August 30th 08, 06:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Try turning the saucer so that its concave side is underneath. I think
squirrels have a lot of trouble with these! Of course, the spilled bird
food goes onto the ground, but the ground feeding birds will eat it up -
not fast enough perhaps, but they'll help!
..
In message , Pauline
writes
[...]

Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old August 30th 08, 06:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Can't you just put in a garden for the squirrels to eat so they will
leave the bird seed alone? LOL
No squirrels here.
Too many dogs around and they are probably too smart to want to live in
this God awful heat.
Taria, tired of a long hot summer

Old August 30th 08, 06:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

I have seen where sheets of metal were attached to circle the tree to keep
squirrels from being able to climb to the top to get the nuts. Maybe this
will work for you.
Barbara in SC

Old August 30th 08, 07:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jeri

Pauline wrote:
Hmm. I do have pepper spray, but maybe just some hot sauce would
work too. I wouldn't want to harm the birds & i don't think they ever go
to the
saucer to eat. Okay - that's wrong, I'm looking right out my window at
the
bird feeder & there is a bird sitting in the saucer - eating! So, that
rules out the pepper spray. Thank Kathy. Anyone else?

Actually I don't think hot pepper would bother the birds. I've used Squirrel
Away! http://www.wildbirdsuets.com/squirrelaway.htm It works on the
squirrels but doesn't bother the birds at all. You need to wear gloves and
be very careful when handling it though.

I've switched to safflower seed in my feeders because squirrels don't really
like it. An added bonus is that blackbirds and grackles don't like it either
so they don't take over the feeders and scare the other birds away.

There's only one feeder I have that really works for keeping squirrels out.
It's metal and has a spring loaded perch that closes, shutting off access to
the seed when a squirrel puts it's weight on it. The roof is pitched so a
squirrel can't sit on it and reach down from above.
http://www.wildbirdhabitatstore.com/...f41628910cfb9c
This is the only feeder I'll put sunflower seeds in because the squirrels
can't get to it and it actually lasts quite awhile before I have to refill
it.

Wht else can you do when you have a little bugger as persistent as this guy
is? lol
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...55785125dHpNwo
--
Jeri
"You can complain because roses have thorns, or you can rejoice because

Old August 30th 08, 07:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

That's what I was going to suggest too! I think that's how they are to be
installed. The squirrels can't climb up the pole to get to the feeder. At
least if the spilled stuff is eaten by the squirrels, they still can't empty
the feeder for you.

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi
"Patti" wrote in message
Try turning the saucer so that its concave side is underneath. I think
squirrels have a lot of trouble with these! Of course, the spilled bird
food goes onto the ground, but the ground feeding birds will eat it up -
not fast enough perhaps, but they'll help!
.
In message , Pauline
writes