OTOT fashion whine

Old May 15th 08, 05:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

Default OTOT fashion whine

It has always been difficult to be a junior high size - at 18, 21, 41, 61
.... well, Always. Today it became even worse. I puzzled that all the
women on the tv news, weather and whatnot were wearing low-cut New Year's
Eve party clothes and their WonderBras. Today it hit home.
I ordered a nice tunic for a very special graduation ceremony.
FedEx.
Tracking it, it went from MO to MS to KS to TN back to MO back to TN
back to MS and finally here. Twelve days. I showed the delivery guy the
tracking chart. He said they must smoke a lot of the fun stuff at the
center.
I tried on the tunic. Lovely. Elegant. Understated. Unless, of
course, you consider the concern that I don't have a new ring for my
bellybutton.
Had to remove the sleeve caps, take out about 3" from the neckline and
replace the sleeves. Not a big deal. Easy, actually. Good grief. Where
do we buy clothes if we are not wanting to look like a Happy Hooker? with
apology to my crocheting friends, Polly

Old May 15th 08, 05:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pauline

I feel your pain Polly. I've been looking for a nice dress to wear to an
evening wedding next month. There are lots of sun dresses out there & lots
of "hoochie mama" dresses, but next to nothing in what I consider to be a
suitable dress for this occasion. I'm going to try to make a dress & with
Pati in PHX's help with pattern sizing, I'm going to work on it this
weekend. What do middle aged & older women do when they need something
simple & elegant!!!

Glad you were able to make the necessary alterations to your tunic, so it is
wearable for you!

Pauline
Northern California

Old May 15th 08, 05:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

The expression "hoochie mama" tickles me. OTOH, I can just see us taking
family pictures and somebody saying, "Would somebody please throw a sheet
over Great-Grandma?" Polly

"Pauline" wroteI feel your pain Polly. I've been looking for a nice dress

Old May 15th 08, 12:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Carolyn McCarty

I totally agree, Polly. It seems the clothing departments are all stocked
by Sluts R Us. Everywhere I look, the clothing is something to be worn by
an underage streetwalker. Target and Wal-Mart seem to be the worst, at
least here in Tucson. I see prepubescent girls going to school in clothes
that would make a prostitute blush. What their parents are thinking, I
can't imagine. And finally, when did it become fashionable to wear clothes
so tight and so low/high cut that every roll of fat and every inch of
cellulite is exposed to the world?

Makes me think of the woman at the beach who blushed at the way bikinis
expose skin, then saw a young lady in a one-piece with the back cut in a
very deep V. Her comment was, "Lordy! What they don't show, they point
to!!"

Sorry, folks, my R&R chip kicked in early this morning.

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo

If it ain't broke, you're not trying. --Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools. --Red Green

Old May 15th 08, 01:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Rita L. in MA

It really is difficult. I am 58 years old. Most stores carry clothing
suitable (maybe) for ages 17 or 97. I'm going to have to go back to
sewing my own clothes which will take away from my quilting time. Sigh!

Meanwhile, check out the latest in prom dresses
http://concreteloop.com/2008/05/news...rom-handcuffed

Rita L.

Old May 15th 08, 01:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

Sluts R Us? Oh my goodness, that says it all. LOL. Thanks Carolyn.
Polly

"Carolyn McCarty" wroteI totally agree, Polly. It seems the clothing
departments are all stocked
by Sluts R Us. Everywhere I look, the clothing is something to be worn by
an underage streetwalker. Target and Wal-Mart seem to be the worst, at
least here in Tucson. I see prepubescent girls going to school in clothes
that would make a prostitute blush. What their parents are thinking, I
can't imagine. And finally, when did it become fashionable to wear
clothes so tight and so low/high cut that every roll of fat and every inch
of cellulite is exposed to the world?

Makes me think of the woman at the beach who blushed at the way bikinis
expose skin, then saw a young lady in a one-piece with the back cut in a
very deep V. Her comment was, "Lordy! What they don't show, they point
to!!"

Sorry, folks, my R&R chip kicked in early this morning.

"Polly Esther" wrote

Old May 15th 08, 01:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
amy in CNY

I really like Dress Barn and Fashion Bug. they seem to have decent
choices. i also like JC Penney's and Macy's. Great sales.
i remember my DD's prom. LOTS of "hoochie-mamma's" there!
phew....Lordie, what were those mothers thinking?

amy in CNY
Old May 15th 08, 01:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anna Belle [email protected]

And have you noticed all the girls who are pregnant are wearing
revealing T shirt tops? Te non pregnant girls are wearing tops that
look like my time period maternity tops. Of course with a migrating
figure, I could wear a maternity top now.
Anna Belle

Old May 15th 08, 03:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

Move to Thailand? DD1 lived there for a while, towering over most of the
locals. They made clothes wide enough to fit around her (she's thin anyway),
but nothing was long enough. She employed the local tailor a lot. Probably
everything in Thailand would fit you just right!
Roberta in D

Old May 15th 08, 03:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

I think that trend is starting to go a bit. I sure hope so.

I am not sure where women are buying clothes. Everytime I
need to go somewhere that requires more than a t-shirt or
sweater and jeans I seem to pull an older dress out of the
closet. I think we are just going to have to go back to
clothing construction and making our own suitable stuff.
I have a 'farmer tan' in the summer. Except a swimsuit
(that is a whole other story) I don't much wear sleeveless
clothes. It is nearly impossible to find a simple summer
dress with short sleeves anymore. Sleeveless and hootchie
mama is pretty much what is around.
I don't think this is a new problem. Fashion seems to be
geared toward skinny, young or very matronly. I am neither!
Taria

OTOT - Flying Cindy Schmidt Quilting 19 June 8th 07 04:26 PM
OTOT Pigs Gillian Murray Needlework 0 January 23rd 05 09:17 PM
OTOT water problem Carolyn McCarty Quilting 10 October 11th 04 06:57 PM
OTOT update the black rose Quilting 14 October 1st 04 12:33 AM