Focus on Design: Storm at Sea

Old September 25th 06, 01:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Johanna Gibson

Default Focus on Design: Storm at Sea

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 15:33:31 -0400, Pat in Virginia
wrote:

Focus on Design is my once in a while
thread. I start one when the moods
strikes. The purpose it to discuss the
design elements of a designated quilt
top. This is not the place to talk about
chocolate, sewing machines, kids or
other popular issues. Please reserve
those for other threads. In this thread,
let's FOCUS ON DESIGN: STORM AT SEA
QUILTS!

Here are two from Debi's album ... these
are quilts she photographed at a
recent quilt show. The first, Marie
Karickhoff's Red Tide, is the
traditional S@S setting with an uncommon
red and white color way. It carries
some of the block elements into the border.
http://tinyurl.com/hl7oz
The second one, Kim Moore's Tropical
Storm, has a unique setting, and a
unique multicolored variation. It has
Virginia Reel blocks in the border.
http://tinyurl.com/mmx83

Here is a coloring page with a S@S
'quilt' design. http://tinyurl.com/oq99j
I do not care for the 'double sashing'
or whatever you might call that. I like
the 'single' version as in Red Tide,
above. The Quilter's Cache Version also
has the 'double sashing' look.
http://www.quilterscache.com/S_U/StormAtSeaBlock.html

If you want to see some patterns, go to
Block Central and click on any of the
three links. http://tinyurl.com/oq99j

Sew, do you have a Storm At Sea Quilt?
Steve in Alaska said he made one ages
ago. I hope he posts a photo of that
one. I have been 'saving blues & greens'
for one for ages. Maybe this thread will
give me the push to start! How about you?

PAT in Virginia, USA

Ah, Storm at Sea. It's all part of my larger Quilting Plan. What I
really long to do is Shakespeare in the park (go to
http://www.judymartin.com/Viewer-Photos.cfm and scroll down to "from
The Creative Pattern Book" to see some examples) in all sorts of
lovely starry blue and white fabrics. Then, use the scraps from that
quilt to make a Storm at Sea. I might even make these two quilts into
one reversible quilt. That bit, I'm not sure of. The bit about using
all my best and loveliest starry blue fabrics, I am sure of.

-- Jo in Scotland
Old September 25th 06, 01:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cats

Gorgeous pics on that link - TVM

--

Cheryl & the Cats
o o o o o o

:

Old September 25th 06, 01:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN

It's definitely on my want-to-do list. I want to do it in blues.

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old September 25th 06, 03:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

wrote:

Sew, do you have a Storm At Sea Quilt?
Steve in Alaska said he made one ages
ago. I hope he posts a photo of that
one. I have been 'saving blues & greens'
for one for ages. Maybe this thread will
give me the push to start! How about you?

Yep, but I made it almost 15 years ago and it is just about worn to
the woof.

It is a rather uninspired specimen I fear. Light to medium blues,
dark blues and purples, and cream. Almost what you see in every SaS
example in how to books everywhere.

It has been multiplely mended and rebound. It is still DH's favorite
quilt, though even he is starting to admit that it is about time for
it to be retired. I think part of it is it has bits from many of his
favorite shirts from years gone past. (G)

Maybe I should make another.
When I get one of those legendary months with extra hours in it.

NightMist
--
The wolf that understands fire has much to eat.
Old September 25th 06, 07:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Oh that is really lovely.
Those colours! ...
..
In message , Kellie J.
Berger writes
Jennell,

I did just that and i think this
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...40960361TCXvAk may be
one of my favorites yet! two fav. blocks in one!

kellie

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old September 25th 06, 07:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

I bought that Judy Martin book, on the strength of Shakespeare in the
Park! What a wonderful mixture of blocks. So very clever - but not
difficult when you get down to it - just a tad tricky in places! (Not
that I have done it - yet - just read it, over and over again g)
..
In message , Johanna Gibson
writes

Old September 25th 06, 09:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate Dicey

wrote:

[...]

Thank you, JO. I just spent half an hour poking round Judy's site and
looking at the quilts her designs have inspired. That Shakespeare in
the Park pattern is one I must have a go at! Spirals and stars...
Magic!

Now to go put that book on my Amazon Wish List!

Oh, and I bookmarked the site!

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old September 25th 06, 11:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Carolyn McCarty

All I can say is, "Wow!" I must have that book and I must make that quilt!
Bookmarked the website, too. After a few minutes of looking at the quilts,
I can see this is a great place for me to visit. And I like the idea of
making Storms At Sea/Shakespeare In The Park as a reversible quilt.

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo

If it ain't broke, you're not trying. --Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools. --Red Green

Old September 25th 06, 12:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mauvice in central WI

Pat in Virginia wrote:
Focus on Design is my once in a while
thread. I start one when the moods
strikes. (SNIP)

Here is one I made seven years ago for My DS AND DDIL to remember their
wedding....It is one of my favorite patterns, I also did a Heart block
variation WH with Doreen Speckman one of her favorites to play
with...way back when....btw....I loved her what a great spirit.
Mauvice in Central Wis.
http://tinyurl.com/pz282

Old September 25th 06, 01:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jessamy

I have a storm at sea mystery on my old website - it's the first mystery I
ever did and before I had EQ too!
http://www.geocities.com/jess_ayad/pattern_index.html

I never got past making the samples for the photo's - the rest is a UFO I
must finish one day.

my first ever quilt was a storm at sea in blue, black and white - sadly I
don't have a photo of it and I don't remember what happened to it.

--
Jessamy
In The Netherlands