Directory question - need input

Old July 4th 06, 09:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Estelle Gallagher

Default Directory question - need input

Oh Lor, I dont understand these sort of things so I'll go with the flow!
"AliceW" wrote in message
. ..
Ok, I may be opening a Pandora's box with this posting, but I need to know
your preferred format of the Directory for the pending revision
.
The form that you will fill out dumps the data into a spreadsheet format
similar to Excel. I do some tweaking of the information and save it as a
spreadsheet. This format allows sorting of the columns for any number of
purposes. LN takes this data and also creates a two column word
processing
document. This format does not allow for any sorting, but it can allow
you
to create mailing labels if necessary.

So, given the above explanations and with the understanding that this
version of the Directory will be mostly done by me this time, what format
is
preferred? I don't mind doing both, but I would really like to streamline
this process given the size the Directory has become, but I also want to
provide a Directory that is user friendly to, well, the users.

I realize that many of you are very computer literate and twist and turn
the
Directory into a variety of formats once it is received, but these
variations of the Directory are for personal use only and are not to be
shared. Sorry to have to do this, but we need to take measures to ensure
security of our data.

So, speak now, yadda, yadda,..........

Thanks! Only a few more weeks to the new Directory!
--
Alice in NJ, Royal Cybrarian
http://www.ourcyberfamily.us/

Old July 4th 06, 09:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne Gottliebsen

I prefer the text format - I don't use Excel, but a different
spreadsheet (which is mostly but not completely compatible). I'm not
even sure I could get all the info from the excel spreadsheet.

Hanne in London

Old July 4th 06, 10:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cats

XLS format is the better of the two for me - but I am
grateful for all the work that goes on to produce the
Directory and will gratefully accept whatever is made
available.

Alice - If I can offer any help with reformatting files for
others please let me know, but I will only do this through
you.

--

Cheryl & the Cats
_ _ _ _ _ _

"AliceW" wrote in message
. ..
: Ok, I may be opening a Pandora's box with this posting,
but I need to know
: your preferred format of the Directory for the pending
revision
: .
:
[...]
: --

Old July 4th 06, 12:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Johanna Gibson

On Mon, 3 Jul 2006 21:36:10 -0400, "AliceW"
wrote:

[...]

I prefer the spreadsheet, but will take whatever I can get. Thanks
for all your hard work!

-- Jo in Scotland
Old July 4th 06, 12:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bonnie NJ

I prefer the table format. I have Excel, but the only way I use it is for
my lab results. I don't know how to really use the program.

--
Bonnie
NJ
. ..

Old July 4th 06, 12:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
gyrlcentric

If it is saved as a .csv it will open in excel and can be imported in
many more programs. I do like spreadsheet formats myself also.

Old July 4th 06, 01:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Karen, Queen of Squishies

I would very much like to continue to receive the spreadsheet format.

Karen, Queen of Squishies

Old July 4th 06, 02:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
AliceW

I think the Directory is already bulging, but if anyone has a personal
website, your signature space below your newsgroup posting is the best place
for it. The Directory really should be used for contact information that we
don't want to publish on the web but we want to share with others. I
believe that internet etiquette allows 4 lines for the siggy area, so take
advantage of that space as well.

--
Alice in NJ, Royal Cybrarian
http://www.ourcyberfamily.us/
"Just about the time a woman thinks her work is done, she becomes a
grandmother." Edward H. Dreschnack

"nzlstar*" wrote in message
:i dont have excel.
: i'd love a spreadsheet for its capabilitys but someone has to splain how
: make it work and if i dont have excel then what do i use it in?
: argh.
: will there be a box for personal website urls?
: seems a good one to add, optional obviously, as not all of us have a place
: online to post our pix to.
: confuddled as usual in the south pacific,
: jeanne
: --
: san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz
: nzlstar on yahoo msg'r
: nzlstar on webshots
: gen.gen.co.nz
:
: "AliceW" wrote...

Old July 4th 06, 02:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta

Default Open Office - A replacement program for excel - was Directory question- need input

nzlstar* wrote:
i dont have excel.
i'd love a spreadsheet for its capabilitys but someone has to splain how to
make it work and if i dont have excel then what do i use it in?
argh.
will there be a box for personal website urls?
seems a good one to add, optional obviously, as not all of us have a place
online to post our pix to.
confuddled as usual in the south pacific,
jeanne

Jeanne, If you are interested in something LIKE excel - there is
something called "Open Office". Before I close I will hunt down a
website for you. It is a completely free program that can open and
create windows office things (like excel and word)

http://www.openoffice.org/

The program is associated with Sun Micro systems. I have used it and it
works well

Roberta (in VA)