OT Need diabetic & heart healthy foods help

Old January 6th 06, 09:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default OT Need diabetic & heart healthy foods help

Barilla Plus, it's a multigrain pasta with added fiber and protein and Omega
3. Of course, it costs a little more but DH's blood sugar doesn't spike
after eating.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Bonnie, what do you substitute for regular pasta? A specific brand, or
homemade(which probably wouldn't be such an improvement except for
preservatives, due to the flour).
--
Carey in MA

Old January 6th 06, 09:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I've gotta laugh really - I've been diabetic for almost 20 years with no
complications (touch wood) and have not got a diet, per se. Moderation is
the key, cutting out sugar or sweeties completely is the sure fire way to
ensure an "overdose". And be careful of some of those artificial
sweeeteners - they can have added bathroom effects!

quicker)

"Debra" wrote in message
I have no idea how to make some favorite foods so they can be eaten by
someone who has been diagnosed diabetic and has heart troubles. Any
places online with recipes would be a big help.

Truth is, I don't even feel like I know how to grocery shop anymore,
much less know how to cook.

Debra in VA
See my quilts at

Old January 6th 06, 10:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Hi Sharon,
I think it's the combination of diabeties and cardiac problems that call for
a special diet. Before DH left
hospital, after his by-pass surgery, he had to attend a class in nutrition.
All the do's and don'ts.
I forgot to mention diary products. NonFat Milk. Low fat or no fat cheese
occasionally and yogurt is good. DH had it for the first time in hospital
and actually liked it - of course, he was starving at the time. Now he has
a small container every day with lunch.
--
Bonnie
NJ
u...

Old January 6th 06, 10:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Debra, sorry if this is a double-post - some of my google groups posts
have disappeared today but may show up later.

There are a couple of good books for both recipes and meal planning,
published with the support of the Canadian Diabetes Association.
Titles are Choice Menus and More Choice Menus. They are neat format
set out to allow mix-and-match, day by day meal planning. The recipes
are for the most part sensible and familiar ones to North American
palates, either quick to make or with make-ahead options.

You might be able to find them on-line, let me know if you can't or
need more info. I don't follow strict planning, but still find these
books good resources for ideas and nutrition info.

Johanna, Type "weird" diabetic for 7 plus years now.

Old January 6th 06, 11:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I too have cardiac problems, heart bypass and 6 stents also developed
type2 diabetes 18 months ago.
My GD has just graduated as a Public Health Nutritionist.

A low fat diet is essential for cholesterol problems. Great care should
be taken in eating lean meats.

When I first got diabetes my GD came and gave me a pep talk. She said
now Grandma we Shone's do not let a thing like this get us down. We
fight it and we will do it together.
She made me fill sheets in with what I ate and drank and what exercise.
In my case only walking because anything faster brings angina on.
Then she worked me out a diet and suggested menus. I have lost 32 lbs
gone down 3 dress sizes.

Cereals, bread and pasta should be the whole-wheat variety.
Plain yoghurt. No fried foods.
Main meals, imagine a plate and you can have 1 quarter of lean protein,
meat of fish. The only potatoes a 3 small boiled or steamed new
potatoes. No other type, no chipped, mashed, baked or roast. That is the
second quarter.
The remaining half is all green vegetables. Diabetics should be careful
with veg that grows below the ground. Carrots and suchlike soon turn to
sugar.
Salad and tomatoes are good and as a snack a couple of nuts.
Fruit in moderation. It depends how it affects the individual as regards
sugar. Orange juice and melon send my sugar reading up. Stoned fruits
like plums, cherries and peaches work best for me.

The best way to find out if a food is good or bad is to test before you
eat it and a couple of hours after.

I am allowed 2 squares of 70% dark chocolate 2 or 3 times a week.
Also a glass of wine occasionally with meals.

Beware of diet drinks with no added sugar. If they contain aspartame
they are reputed to cause cancer. I tend to drink sparkling plain
mineral water, tea without milk and sugar, 1 cup of coffee with sugar a
day.
Shirley

In message . net,
Bonnie NJ writes
Hi Sharon,
I think it's the combination of diabeties and cardiac problems that call for
a special diet. Before DH left
hospital, after his by-pass surgery, he had to attend a class in nutrition.
All the do's and don'ts.
I forgot to mention diary products. NonFat Milk. Low fat or no fat cheese
occasionally and yogurt is good. DH had it for the first time in hospital
and actually liked it - of course, he was starving at the time. Now he has
a small container every day with lunch.

--
Shirley Shone

http://www.allcrafts.demon.co.uk
Old January 7th 06, 03:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 17:10:45 GMT, Debra wrote:
I have no idea how to make some favorite foods so they can be eaten by
someone who has been diagnosed diabetic and has heart troubles. Any
places online with recipes would be a big help.

I've pulled some good recipes from:
http://www.diabetic-recipes.com/
http://vgs.diabetes.org/recipe/index.jsp
http://diabeticgourmet.com/
and the "Joslin Diabetes Gourmet Cookbook" by Polin and Geidt

Kay

Old January 7th 06, 06:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 18:31:41 GMT, "Bonnie NJ" wrote:

My DH has both problems. This past year started him eating in a completely
different way. Think lots of veggies and some fruit. Lots of broiled or
baked fish and chicken with a little lean beef. Low salt and splenda.
Whole grains, beans. Egg beaters or egg whites.

No white rice, white flour or regular pasta

Many recipes can be altered.

We started almost totally eliminating oil and grease from our diet at
least 5 years ago with those Forman type grills and an outdoor gas
grill. I can't remember when I've battered and fried anything in
grease in the old Southern tradition, long before we married though.
Because of the cost, we eat so little red meat that we actually get
serious cravings for it. Our fish preference is plain grilled salmon
with a sprinkling of black pepper but salmon is too pricey to eat
often. We eat so much chicken and turkey breast that I expect to grow
feathers someday. We raised our fiber content with whole grain breads
and other things long ago. DH loves Splenda and has been using it for
several years to sweeten his tea. Even his pancake/waffle syrup is
Splenda, but now I guess he shouldn't have pancakes or waffles at all.
Most of our salt intake is from hidden sources and we rarely add salt
to anything other than a potato, but potatoes are pretty much off the
menu now too.

We have already been doing most of the stuff suggested by the doctors
and hospital for years and evidently it hasn't helped at all or he
would not have clogged arteries and blood sugar problems today. I
feel like I have been killing him slowly with each meal I've made ever
since we got married. Right now I just keep thinking, "So what do I
feed him now? Plain canned tuna in water and raw celery three times a
day? But I can't do that either, he'd die of low blood sugar. "

Sorry about this post. I wrote a lot more, but deleted it because it
was just too much to expect anyone to read. I think I need to walk
into some empty woods and scream at the top of my lungs for awhile.

Debra in VA
See my quilts at

Old January 7th 06, 04:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

LOL!! You are so right - I had this wonderful dietician who gave me the
same advice. I can have 6 hershey kisses if I count the carbs and factor it
into my daily tally. A bowl of whole grain cereal is very high in carbs and
can cause my sugar levels to spike so I have added other things to
compensate. Moderation is key.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"