OT Need diabetic & heart healthy foods help

Old January 6th 06, 05:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default OT Need diabetic & heart healthy foods help

I have no idea how to make some favorite foods so they can be eaten by
someone who has been diagnosed diabetic and has heart troubles. Any
places online with recipes would be a big help.

Truth is, I don't even feel like I know how to grocery shop anymore,
much less know how to cook.

Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old January 6th 06, 05:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Check out www.splenda.com - they have many, many recipes for diabetics.
--
Donna in Idaho
Website: www.LinusIdaho.org

Old January 6th 06, 05:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

On Fri, 6 Jan 2006 10:27:01 -0700, "Donna in Idaho" wrote:

Check out www.splenda.com - they have many, many recipes for diabetics.

Thanks. I'm sure there are plenty of sweets there. I'm also looking
for meal items maybe I'll find some of those there too.

Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old January 6th 06, 05:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Debra.
Try the following web page, Helps with the diabetes and probably the
heart.

http://www.diabetes.org/nutrition-an...oodchoices.jsp

There are a lot if recipes and suggestions. Don't forget to "Google".
DS1 is diabetic and has found lots of help.

Anna Belle in Palm Bay

Old January 6th 06, 06:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Take a look at http://www.lightandtasty.com/. "Light and Tasty" is one
of the "Taste of Home" family of magazines; and they have quite a few
recipes on their website.

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old January 6th 06, 06:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

My DH has both problems. This past year started him eating in a completely
different way. Think lots of veggies and some fruit. Lots of broiled or
baked fish and chicken with a little lean beef. Low salt and splenda.
Whole grains, beans. Egg beaters or egg whites.

No white rice, white flour or regular pasta

Many recipes can be altered.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old January 6th 06, 06:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

At the grocery store checkout, there is a magazine called Diabetic Living,
and it has tons o' recipes, not just sweets. Also, if you will send me your
address offline, I will send you a book that will be helpful (I have an
extra copy).

Thahnks

Old January 6th 06, 06:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Debra, when diagnosed I picked up two books which are published with
the support of the Canadian Diabetes Association. They might be
available mail-order. They are titled "Choice Menus" and "More Choice
Menus" and have this really neat mix-and-match format.

There are 30 days of meals in each one, with recipes/instructions. The
cool thing is, the "meal plan" section has all pages divided into 4
strips, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, and Snacks, and you can "mix and
match" those 30 days of 4 meals into... oh, the math.... 30x30x30x30,
is that 81,000? different "days" of meals.

Even if you don't want to do the whole strict meal plan, the recipes
are nice, usually easy and quick (or have make-ahead options) and all
the nutrition info.

Even when I don't "do" the exact recipes, I still use these guides for
ideas or a refresher on portion control and there are lots of pages
where they didn't write out a full recipe but the meal-plan page
inclueds a quickie for a lunch or snack, like x amt of yogurt, 4
cracker, pc of fruit with all the portion info.

I suppose I can check the ISBNs and publisher info at home later if
can't find them on-line.

Johanna

Old January 6th 06, 07:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

"Bonnie NJ" wrote in message ...
My DH has both problems. This past year started him eating in a

completely
different way. Think lots of veggies and some fruit. Lots of broiled or
baked fish and chicken with a little lean beef. Low salt and splenda.
Whole grains, beans. Egg beaters or egg whites.

No white rice, white flour or regular pasta

Bonnie, what do you substitute for regular pasta? A specific brand, or
homemade(which probably wouldn't be such an improvement except for
preservatives, due to the flour).
--
Carey in MA

Old January 6th 06, 07:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

There are more than just sweets on the splenda website. Check it out!
--
Donna in Idaho
Website: www.LinusIdaho.org