Serger machine advice

Old December 9th 03, 04:49 PM

On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 02:11:21 +0000, Kate Dicey

On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 00:59:11 +0000, Kate Dicey
wrote:

Before you look at brother, do a google groups search on Brother sergers
- there have been some unfortunate experiences. Such that I'd never
touch one!

Depends on the model. If you have a particular model of serger from a
certain European company, you have one that's the same as a Brother.

gwh

The problem is not just with the machine: after-sales service was
somewhere between ****-poor and abysmal. I would NOT want to buy into
that mess!

Well, I guess that's something you can get with any brand. Much of it
depends on the willingness of the individual dealer to provide
service.

Sewing machines are a lot like many (most?) other appliances in that
some "manufactureres" don't even have factories, but buy product from
one or more who do. Some manufacturers have other makers produce some
of their models so they can compete at certain price levels in the
marketplace.

Often fans of Brand A will sing the praises of anything with a Brand A
label on it, and soundly condemn Brand B, not knowing that Brand B
makes their favourite Brand A machine. :-)

gwh

Old December 9th 03, 09:08 PM

On Thu, 4 Dec 2003 09:05:57 -0800, "Valkyrie"
wrote:

"Kitty Fluff" wrote in message
. com...
I have just finished my fashion design education at a private school
where we used a Bernina serger. Mmmmmm mmmmm. Like butter! I am
impressed with Bernina. Several students had Bernina sewing machines.

I am a fan of Pfaff, but, have not used their sergers. Heard Pfaff has
been bought out by Viking and the "skinny" is that Pfaff quality will
now go down hill. I wanted to get the Pfaff 2140 embroidery machine but
hear the latest version since the buy out is not as well made.

Anyone have any else have any opinions on this? Thanks

The wonderful part about all the different brands is that there are so many
different people with different needs and styles of use.......... But, IMHO
I doubt if you could pry my Husqvarna sewing machines or serger out of my
dead, cold fingers.

Well, I like the HV sergers, especially the 936, but for a
sewing/embroidery machine, my personal preference is elsewhere.

As for the comments about Pfaff and quality following the VSM
purchase, I think you will hear any number of stories. VSM wants to
dominate the sewing world and become the world's largest SM maker.
They have a ways to go and won't get there by reducing the quality of
the various brands they own and/or sell.

gwh

Old December 11th 03, 12:49 AM
Joy

Hi, I am new at this news group stuff.

I just got a HV 936. Came home and threaded it with the help of the video
and book. It was a breeze after hearing so many horror stories. Hope I do
enough sewing to get my money out of if. I like the screen showing the
settings to use. I paid $1299 got 5 extra feet and 3 classes. Classes are
a good thing to get with any new machine.

Joy Y

"Kate Dicey" wrote in message
Me wrote:

Hoku Beltz wrote:
I'm going to buy myself a new serger for Xmas - Yeah!!! Anyway, I

know I
want a 5 thread so I can do a chain stitch and an overlock, but which

one?
Anybody have advice as to what to look out for and which ones to stay

away
from? TIA
Hoku

Take a look at the one I recently bought - the Singer
Quantumlock 14T957DC. It has all the features, yet is
still under $1000. I got a deal that included all the
accessory feet, and also got the workbook that someone
here recommended. The only thing it doesn't have is a
computer screen, but apparently all those do is tell you
how to set your machine. The manual for the Quantumlock
has a page that does that, so I copied it and printed it
out for quick reference.

Shop around. Compare makes and features. See what is
best for you and your budget.

If you want something tougher than this (for outdoors gear for example)
look at the Huskylock 935, and the Bernina.

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk