Book review: "Embroidery Illusions"

Old July 24th 03, 09:42 PM
FKBABB

Default Book review: "Embroidery Illusions"

A couple of weeks ago, I posted asking if anyone could tell me about the book
“Embroidery Illusions” by Gary Clarke, which I had come across on Amazon,
after being tempted by the talk here to order “Painting with a Needle.”
There was just a cover picture, no description of the contents.

Yesterday I was in a B & M bookstore. They had a copy of “Embroidery
Illusions.” I leafed through it. I bought it, so now I can answer my own
question.

The technique is shadow work -- embroidery on organza, which produces wonderful
shaded effects that look complex to do, but actually aren’t all that hard.
The wow factor comes in large measure from how the color of the thread changes
above and below the ground fabric --and, in the case of Clarke’s work, his
elegant, fresh take on familiar needlework subjects. His innovative shadow box
framing style also enhances the effect of the work without requiring any
special skill on the part of anyone attempting to stitch the designs.

His pieces have two layers. A sheer fabric embroidered top is mounted a half
inch or so above another fabric panel which also may be embellished with
embroidery or decorative papers, paper cuts or found objects. There are 20
complete projects with detailed instructions and very clear diagrams. Subjects
include flowers from situps to passionflower vine, a monkey, an elephant, a
butterfly, a peacock feather, a Little Bo Peep and a country cottage. I am
particularly in love with his seahorse, the body formed of stitched-on
seashells, and a golden Christmas tree. A variety of stitches are used, all
pretty basic. There’s even one project in cross stitch using waste canvas.
In addition to the complete projects, there are 15 watercolors and line
drawings, mostly botanicals and human figures, that can be used as inspiration
for additional work based on the principles he illustrates.

Publishing details: “Embroidery Illusions,” by Gary Clarke (Sally Milner
Publishing Pty Ltd, Australia, 2003) ISBN 1-86351-304-3Bo
Old July 24th 03, 10:40 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

What a wonderful "review"! THANK YOU!
Ahhhh, shadow work. So simple. So beautiful. This author is obviously
taking this on a *very* contemporary journey. I've heard about this,
but your description helped. From the cover, I thought for sure it was
stumpwork.

From such a simple beginning (white-on-white), to pastel colors, to
Gary Clarke and others like him. The Australians have even figured out
how to do a type of shadow work on finer blanketing.
Thanks again!
Dianne

Old July 25th 03, 12:20 AM
Lula

Thanks for your detailed review of this book.......I've been considering
looking into shadow embroidery too ever since I saw some other
references to this embroidery technique.

It's good to know that seemingly complex looking finished piece of
stitchery is not that difficult to do! Basically a lot of bang for the
effort!
---
Lula
http://www.woolydream.com
Needlework Adventures

Old July 29th 03, 02:54 PM
flitterbit

"FKBABB" wrote in message
[...]

Here's a link to the blurb from the publisher:

http://www.sallymilner.com.au/framed...hp?Book_ID=182

Old July 29th 03, 08:17 PM
flitterbit

flitterbit wrote:
Here's a link to the blurb from the publisher:

http://www.sallymilner.com.au/framed...hp?Book_ID=182

"Dianne Lewandowski" wrote in message
A combination of many styles of embroidery, especially stumpwork and
shadow embroidery, with beading.

If anyone wants to learn or try their hand at shadow work, I have pages
with instructions. You can do it on any cloth that is sheer. Some
linens are sheer enough.

http://www.heritageshoppe.com/herita.../advanc05.html

Keep stitches tiny for full affect. Less tiny for the work shown on
this book's cover.

Dianne

Thanks, Dianne; I hadn't really thought much about shadow work or stump work
before, but the cover image on Embroidery Illusions is so lovely I just
might have to expand my area of interest ; )

another Karen

Old July 30th 03, 01:38 AM
Mary

That's a beautifully done page Dianne, thanks. My copy of
Clarke's book just arrived today so I'm sure I'll be "in"
for some fabric. Meantime, a recent issue of the Australian
magazine "Embroidery & Cross Stitch" has a bio article on
Mr. Clarke, including a photo. There's also a project by
him in the magazine, but not shadow work.

MaryR