Question for the group

Old December 31st 03, 11:07 PM
GAZ

Default Question for the group

Do any of you make custom pieces designed around a fancy cut stone or is
most of your stuff designed around off the shelf, buy it by the kilo,
stones?
If the fancy stones, where do you buy them and is the premium prices
usually involved worth the effort?
Thanks
Gordon

Old January 1st 04, 03:27 AM
KG

"GAZ" wrote in message
Do any of you make custom pieces designed around a fancy cut stone or is
most of your stuff designed around off the shelf, buy it by the kilo,
stones?
If the fancy stones, where do you buy them and is the premium prices
usually involved worth the effort?
Thanks
Gordon

Hi Gordon,

Yes, I do use "fancy" cut stones and I do select each one individually (not
"by the kilo") and design around it. As a result, each of my pieces is
completely unique.

On some occasions, I will use a "standard" cut (like a pie wedge cabochon or
a kite shape with specific dimensions) to create a few pieces of similar or
related designs.

I use a variety of stone dealers, most of whom are either direct importers
or cutters. Most are based in or near NYC in the jewelry district. In most
cases, I go to their place of business and hand-select my stones. In other
cases, I'll tell them specifically what I'm looking for and they will memo
me a shipment of stones from which to select. In a few cases, I've
developed a level of trust of a dealer's work enough to purchase based on
their website photos.

Having said all that, I want to clearly distinguish between the term "fancy"
and the term "fantasy" when it comes to stone cuts. The "fantasy" cuts are
special faceted cuts of (usually) clear gemstones. When I use the term
"fancy," on the other hand, I usually refer to more freeform cuts that may
be faceted or cabbed, but are unique cuts designed to enhance a particular
stone's colors or qualities.

I have found that the effort required to hand-select my stones is more than
worth it in terms of quality and customer satisfaction. I know the stone
I'm getting and the quality of it, as well as any treatments or issues I
need to know about in working with it. I can better educate my customer as
to its origin and benefits and can command a higher price for my work as a
result. And, when all is considered, I don't feel that I'm paying more for
the stones than I would any other way -- but the quality of the stones have
to be factored into the equation.

Hope this helps,

KG

www dot nolimitations dot com