OT Diet coke vs vitamins/prescriptions

Old August 2nd 09, 08:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie& The Furbabies in MO.

Default OT Diet coke vs vitamins/prescriptions

Thanks, Anne. I hadn't thought of a search using those words.

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message
The caffeine in the diet coke dilates blood vessels, so will likely result
in faster absorption, many headache and cold/flu tablets have caffeine in
them for this reason.

If you are still uncertain, you could try searching for the specific
artificial sweetners and drug interactions.

Cheers
Anne

Old August 2nd 09, 08:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Okay. You got me there too. I've been taking calcium with my bp med. I
can toss it down some other time Recently, I had to take an antibiotic -
Cipro - and that stuff is a heap of trouble to take. 2 hours before this, 6
hours after that, not with dairy, okay with food. Mercy. Coordinating
fireworks with the 1812 Overture would have been easy compared to that.
Polly

"Joanna" wrote in message
Ya, the calicum carbonate is what Tums and Rolaids are made of. So it
applies to most calicum supplements as well.
Joanna

Leslie& The Furbabies in MO. wrote:
Oopsie! I am guilty of the calcium conflict! I'll have to time them
more carefully. Thanks!

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

"Michelle C." wrote in message
Leslie& The Furbabies in MO. wrote:
This ng has an amazing amount of knowledge available and I haven't been
successful in my internet searches for an answer, so I come to y'all-
once again- for answers.

A friend told me that any prescription medicines or vitamins that I
take with a swig of my much-loved Diet Cherry Coke are a waste. She
claims the Coke will cause my body to not absorb them or the Coke will
'destroy or breakdown the meds/vitamins or some such. I really didn't
pay much attention since I didn't want to hear that stuff. (She
lectures me on the dangers of any diet drink.) Does anybody know if
this has any truth to it or not? Or any ideas on what or how I can
search to find out for certain?

And, please, no lectures on drinking Diet Cherry Coke- it's one of the
small pleasures I have left. ;-)

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Leslie,

I don't pretend to be an expert, but I've never heard that. The only
thing I've heard is that a person shouldn't take their meds with calcium
supplements because the calcium can prevent proper absorption.

Michelle in Nevada, USA
and fellow diet cherry coke drinker. :-)

Old August 2nd 09, 09:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Steven Cook

Agreed, Cipro does wonders but is a pain on when to take it. Speaking of
recent experience.

Steven
Alaska

Old August 2nd 09, 09:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
J*

if it contains aspartame or nutra sweet, same thing different names, there
is some effect on the mix of meds with diet coke. it is not a natural
sweetener but artificial.
i'd much prefer drinking sugar than the artificial stuff, even with all
those calories.
http://www.sweetpoison.com/aspartame-side-effects.html
thats just one website with info about it.
heath ledger was taking some kind of meds and drank lots of diet coke
apparently and look where it got him.
as soon as the food/drink companys start using steveia, a natural sweetener,
the
better i reckon.
i read stevia has been approved by the FDA as GRAS(generally recommended as
safe).
stevia is also calorie free.
iirc, it was the sugar growers who lobbied against using stevia.
stevia is sweeter than sugar so less is needed to do its job so the growers
make less money out of it.

sorry, that reply is not well written but i'm sure you can search and read
up on that anyhow.
brain in yet in gear this am.
j.
who gave up fizzy drinks a few years back, just cuz. i have one small glass
maybe 3 times a year

Old August 3rd 09, 04:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sherry

On Aug 2, 11:29*am, "Leslie& The Furbabies in MO."
wrote:
This ng has an amazing amount of knowledge available and I haven't been
successful in my internet searches for an answer, so I come to y'all- once
again- for answers.

A friend told me that any prescription medicines or vitamins that I take
with a swig of my much-loved Diet Cherry Coke are a waste. *She claims the
Coke will cause my body to not absorb them or the Coke will 'destroy *or
breakdown the meds/vitamins or some such. *I really didn't pay much
attention since I didn't want to hear that stuff. *(She lectures me on the
dangers of any diet drink.) *Does anybody know if this has any truth to it
or not? *Or any ideas on what or how I can search to find out for certain?

And, please, no lectures on drinking Diet Cherry Coke- it's one of the small
pleasures I have left. *;-)

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

I'm not an expert, Leslie, but that just sounds bogus to me. I drink
a lot of Coke (not diet)...my doc knows this as I have joked that it's
the only vice I have left. I take a lot of meds, and he's never
mentioned
any kind of interaction.
(and I'm the last person on earth who's going to lecture you! :-)

Sherry
Old August 3rd 09, 12:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Musicmaker

I hope this isn't a totally discouraging interjection, but I have to
mention something I've learned about ALL sodas that contain phosphoric
acids or some form... Phosphoric acid combines in the digestive
system with any calcium it finds, and binds tightly to it, making the
calcium unavailable to the body. Since calcium is needed in many
important functions, when there is no calcium in the diet, the body
gets the needed calcium from its storehouse of the mineral -- the
bones.

Bones are constantly being built up and torn down by cells called
osteoblasts and osteoclasts. The former store calcium in the bones,
and the latter mine the bones for calcium when it is needed elsewhere.

The other bummer is that caffeine steals calcium too.

Having been diagnosed with osteopenia of the spine (pre-osteoporosis)
I've given up sodas with p. acid. I've only managed to reduce my
coffee intake. Just a head's up - since bone density is a BIG DEAL
for all women esp.

Musicmaker
Old August 3rd 09, 02:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

The cross country track coach at our local high school strongly encourages
(mandates) his athletes give up soda pop for those reasons.
Don't forget to take your Vitamin D as well as your calcium.

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi

Old August 3rd 09, 04:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria[_2_]

Clear sodas and root beer don't. Not sure if what they have is bad too but
they are different than colas.
I keep unsweetened de-caf iced tea around and almost
everyone can drink that. I hate dealing with the recycling
of cans and bottles.
Taria

Old August 3rd 09, 04:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Marion Bowles[_2_]

In article qpBdm.214705$DP1.156082@attbi_s22,
"KJ" wrote:

[...]

And to have moderate exposure to the sun, not sunbathing but just gentle
exposure, Vitamin D is made through the skin. Also enough Magnesium in
the diet, Remember those leafy green veg
Marion in Nitten
Old August 3rd 09, 04:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

They don't contain caffeine...but I would guess they still have the
phosphoric acids...I think that's part of the fizz of soda.

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi