Mounting Ancient Coins

Old December 29th 03, 06:54 AM
dwelsh46

Default Mounting Ancient Coins

I am a dealer in ancient coins, and want to introduce a line of coin
jewelry.

I need a method for mounting these irregularly sized and shaped coins in
sterling and gold frames or bezels, without having to fabricate each
mountiing using traditional jeweler's methods such as casting or soldering.
I would prefer a process such as crimping that is not labor intensive. The
mounting should provide for one loop (for pendants) or two (for necklaces).

The diameters of these ancient coins will range from about 15mm to 30 mm,
although most are only approximately round. Their thicknesses also vary from
about 1 mm up to more than 5 mm.

It would be practical for me to stock a reasonable variety of forms or wire
shapes, as long as the mounting process is secure and rapid.

Dave Welsh

Old December 29th 03, 04:30 PM
ted.frater

Hi Dave,
Ive a no of solutions to your request. Before I divulge these it would
be useful to know where your based. If your this side of the Atlantic,
itd be a lot simpler to deal with your request than if your Stateside.
Im in the UK.
Ted Frater Dorset UK
Old December 29th 03, 04:30 PM

Sounds like a tall order, and I dont know much, but heres my 2 cents.
Stock u shaped wire that will wrap around various thicknesses.
Have a die made to stamp a crimp that has a hole to hang coin from and legs
to crimp around
the u shaped wire.
Make a jig to hold coin and make streaching the wire around the coin easer.
Custom plyers to crimp and maybe even snip extra wire off at the same time
would speed things up.

I'm not a jewler yet, but a machinest that knows how to make parts fast

Les
Old January 2nd 04, 04:07 PM
Bruce C.

That is a difficult set of requirements to meet using conventional solutions
and still maintain profitability. Here is a solution that may work for you.
Check out "rock wraps" - they come in gold and sterling (you may have to
talk to him about adding the extra loop):
http://rockwraps.homestead.com/Gold.html

I have no financial connection with this individual, I have just seen his
work on the web.

Good luck!

Ancient Inspiration Arondelle Beads 5 January 6th 05 05:00 AM
Ancient Idols in the press.... Phoenix Ancient Art Glass 0 December 14th 04 03:09 AM
Ancient Idols in the press... Phoenix Ancient Art Beads 0 December 14th 04 03:08 AM
ad> 'ancient one' ....tatercat tatercat Beads 0 November 20th 03 02:56 AM
Drilling Coins Mj Beads 18 August 27th 03 07:12 AM