Snippets, orts, scraps

Old January 9th 08, 03:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
anne

Default Snippets, orts, scraps

How big does a left over length of thread, floss, ribbon have to be for
you to keep it?

When, if ever, do you throw a scrap away?

Anne, who knows that most people have preconceived ideas which are
unlikely to change so rarely discusses politics
--
another anne, add ingers to reply
Old January 9th 08, 03:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Lucille[_3_]

"anne" wrote in message
. ..
How big does a left over length of thread, floss, ribbon have to be for
you to keep it?

When, if ever, do you throw a scrap away?

Anne, who knows that most people have preconceived ideas which are
unlikely to change so rarely discusses politics
--
another anne, add ingers to reply

Just in case, because you never know when you might need it, I keep almost
any tiny snip that is big enough to make one complete stitch until the piece
is done, over, completely finished. I'm not quite as diligent when it's
white or something I'm either sure I have more of or is unlikely to be a
different color if it's a different dye lot, as I am with odd colors or
specialized stuff for the obvious reasons.

I suppose it must be funny to see me using the little piece that's sometimes
so short that I need to put the needle through eye first, or stick the
needle in and thread it from the back with great difficulty, but my
upbringing taught me to never waste anything and use it all.

I do throw it out eventually, but it takes some nerve to do that.

Lucille

Old January 9th 08, 04:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Bruce Fletcher (Stronsay, Orkney)

anne wrote:
How big does a left over length of thread, floss, ribbon have to be for
you to keep it?

When, if ever, do you throw a scrap away?

Maureen has a large plastic container that is full of minute lengths of
Anchor cotton. We both tend to keep just about everything "just in case"
and we are not alone:
http://aroundmykitchentable.blogspot.com/2007/09/battle-of-broken-stool.html
Bruce
Old January 9th 08, 04:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
BeverlyB

I do the same thing but when I am trying to get that last stitch or two out
of a piece of thread that is really too short I will get out my dololly and
use that instead of trying to rethread the needle everytime it goes through
the fabric. If you do not have a dololly or star detailer or other such
gadget you can also use one of those needle threaders that have the wire for
pulling that last bit of thread through.

Beverly B

Old January 9th 08, 04:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gill Murray

BeverlyB wrote:
[...]

I have started to be a little more ruthless. If there is just 6 inches
left, and I am not using that color again soon, it goes in the ort jar.
On the other hand, if I am doing a lot in the same color, I do try to
stitch to almost the end, so there is very little to toss out.

It all depends on what type of floss I am using, and how extravagant I
feel that day!

Gillian
Old January 9th 08, 08:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
F.James Cripwell

anne ) writes:
How big does a left over length of thread, floss, ribbon have to be for
you to keep it?

When, if ever, do you throw a scrap away?

Anne, who knows that most people have preconceived ideas which are
unlikely to change so rarely discusses politics
--
another anne, add ingers to reply

I am a lot more ruthless than I used to be. I try and guess how much
floss I need for the next batch of stitches. If I guess wrong, as I
often do, anything cut off after finishing is discarded. When I get new
thread, if it is too clumsy to keep the little bit left with a lark's head
knot, it gets chucked.
Old January 9th 08, 08:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dr. Brat

anne wrote:

How big does a left over length of thread, floss, ribbon have to be for
you to keep it?

When, if ever, do you throw a scrap away?

If it's large enough to keep track of, it's large enough to keep.
Lately I've been using orts to embellish handmade paper. I throw them
in the slurry after it comes out of the blender.

Elizabeth
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Old January 9th 08, 09:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Pat P

"anne" wrote in message
. ..
How big does a left over length of thread, floss, ribbon have to be for
you to keep it?

When, if ever, do you throw a scrap away?

Anne, who knows that most people have preconceived ideas which are
unlikely to change so rarely discusses politics
--
another anne, add ingers to reply

Technically, as long as it is long enough to do just one stitch it could be
useful - if you can be bothered to keep it, notate it, and know where to
find it should you ever need it!

Personally, I can`t be bothered - I`m just not that parsimonious. If it`s
not long enough to wind around the bobbin from whence it came - it`s OUT! Or
if it`s metallic, it goes into a clear Christmas tree bauble. I find that
plain threads are a bit like paint if you do that - they just turn into a
nondescript muddy colour.

DON`T put it out for the birds to line their nests, though - it tangles
round little birds` feet or necks and can kill them.

Pat

Old January 10th 08, 12:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C in California

Dr. Brat wrote:

If it's large enough to keep track of, it's large enough to keep. Lately
I've been using orts to embellish handmade paper. I throw them in the
slurry after it comes out of the blender.

Elizabeth

Cool. Want me to send you some of my specialty fiber orts? Or do you
only want cotton?

--
Karen C - California
Editor/Proofreader www.IntlProofingConsortium.com

Finished 12/25/07 -- several scarves for kids in Kosovo

WIP: Sesame Street group picture, MLI The Teacher (gift to the library),
Bethany Angel, Flowers of Hawaii (Jeanette Crews) for ME!!!
Retrieved from UFO pile: Marbek's Snow Angel

www.CFSfacts.org where we give you the facts and dispel the myths
Myths, with research cites: http://www.aacfs.org/images/pdfs/myths.pdf
Old January 10th 08, 12:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C in California

Pat P wrote:
if it`s metallic, it goes into a clear Christmas tree bauble. I find that
plain threads are a bit like paint if you do that - they just turn into a
nondescript muddy colour.

When I'm stuffing the Christmas balls, I sort my orts. The metallics go
against the outside where they can be seen and sparkle, and the floss
goes on the inside to fill it up.

Orts anne Needlework 5 March 3rd 07 10:18 PM
What is orts? R&B Thomas Needlework 31 September 29th 06 11:35 PM
Orts vs Snippets Threaded Needlework 16 February 2nd 05 01:11 PM
Orts on your tree Linn Skinner Needlework 10 December 28th 03 02:51 AM
All Snippets and on topic too! Cheryl Isaak Needlework 7 October 30th 03 03:04 AM