A rude awakening

Old September 26th 07, 11:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

Default A rude awakening

I just got back from Joann's to buy some patterns and other notions.
One of the things I needed was some Coats and Clark Cotton thread of a
certain color. I couldn't find any of the cotton thread and asked a
sales person what happened to the cotton thread. She said" They came
and pulled all the C & C cotton thread and all they will be carrying
from now on is C & C Dual Duty Polyester covered polyester in 250 yd
spools and some of the same in larger spools. No more Cotton. So not
only do they discontinue the cotton but replace it with poly in a
smaller spool size and charge you more for the spool. Now I know why
it is called the store we love to hate. When I asked about cotton she
said, "I guess you could use Gutterman". I of course know I could use
Gutterman, but I didn't want to pay that premium for that option. I am
mad at them and am swearing off of Joanns.

John

Old September 26th 07, 11:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

I was at the local Joann's today and picked up some poly sulky and also
some machine embroidery C&C in poly. I noticed there was some new types
of C&C that I didn't recognize. I found what I was looking for and
didn't really look beyond that. I did notice Gutterman was 40% off.
Maybe they are enticing us to buying the Gutterman and not notice
tha C&C change? I don't generally buy thread at Joann's so I really
don't know just exactly what they have changed. I was happy they had
what I was looking for and the line not long.
I used to be able get cotton C&C at Walmart. Wonder if they are
changing over? I don't really get in there much. I went from Walmart
being the only store nearby to a Walmart that is not worth going into
when we moved.
Find a good mail order source. Swearing off Joann's not a bad thing.
DMC thread is hard to find but pretty good stuff. You might want to
try them out.
http://www.atozdesigns.net/
Ann, that is the a to z is the gal, that started my guild years ago.
SHe since has moved but she knows all about thread.
Taria

Old September 27th 07, 01:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
jennellh

Hi John - if you want to try large volume cones of thread for an
excellent price (Coats&Clarke), I can recommend http://store.atlantathread.com/index.html

I usually stock up on neutral cones (6000yds) @$10 approx every couple
of years and I find that it is a good keeper over time. I see that
they now carry the 'brilliance' line of C&C cones - I haven't tried it
but I know that it was the premium thread for sale in Canada. I
prefer to use the Dual-duty cotton covered poly-core cones for my
quilting because it is slightly finer than a 50wt and gives a good
seam line - it also holds better for finger pressing between sessions
with the regular iron. They have lots of threads types available and
a myriad of colours - it is quite possible to get lost in the pages of
their website. I bought a 15000yd cone of gutermann 'hemshire' thread
last year - grey - it is perfect for free-motion quilting instead of
nylon invisible. I used this thread for the 'spiderman' quilt panel
that I just finished and I was pleased with the results - it is so
fine that the one cone will probably last me for eons.

If you still want to stick with the small spools of C&C cotton thread
- I see that they have it available. Give them a try and if you don't
like the results - you can send the thread to me to use up!!

jennellh )

Old September 27th 07, 03:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On Sep 26, 6:02 pm, John wrote:

[...]

I buy some things from Atlanta Thread already. I am going to place an
order for a bunch of thread this week with them. They are very fast to
send your order out. I have their catalog from the last order I got
from them and it has all of the color charts for the various threads
they offer. That is a bit easier to choose the colors from rather than
the computer monitor that is variable with each computer. There was
some place that sold Gutterman thread that sold a pkg deal of every
thread in their selection for a reduced price, in a boxed set, but I
can't seem to find it on line. I lost the link when my old computer
bit the dust. If anybody knows of a place that does that, I would love
to know of it. It would be good to have a real example of the colors
to order from rather than rely on color chart samples. This is
probably more important to those of us who sew clothes than quilt, as
topstitching is very color sensitive. At least to me it is. Neutrals
work for a lot of quilting purposes.

John

Old September 27th 07, 04:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
jennellh

John - it is Atlanta Thread who do the bulk order price reduction for
same colour threads - jennellh

On Sep 26, 6:02 pm, John wrote:

[...]

John- Hide quoted text -

Old September 27th 07, 09:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Just a word, John. If you are furious and not going to shop there,
please do tell them.
Don't be like me: I boycotted Woolworth's for twenty years; but it
wasn't a very effective gesture, because I didn't tell anyone gg
..
In message om, John
writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old September 27th 07, 01:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On Sep 27, 4:32 am, Patti wrote:
Just a word, John. If you are furious and not going to shop there,
please do tell them.
Don't be like me: I boycotted Woolworth's for twenty years; but it
wasn't a very effective gesture, because I didn't tell anyone gg
.
In message om, John
writes

[...]

I don't know about that. Woolworths is no longer in existance, so you
must have been effective.

John

Old September 27th 07, 01:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On Sep 26, 11:11 pm, jennellh wrote:
John - it is Atlanta Thread who do the bulk order price reduction for
same colour threads - jennellh

I know about their bulk offer. What I was talking about was some place
that had a boxed set of individualized compartments of all of the
colors of Gutterman. It probably was a promotional item or some such
thing. You could hang it up on the wall or otherwise use it for
storage as well as display it.

John

Old September 27th 07, 02:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On Sep 27, 8:08 am, John wrote:
On Sep 26, 11:11 pm, jennellh wrote: John - it is Atlanta Thread who do the bulk order price reduction for
same colour threads - jennellh

I know about their bulk offer. What I was talking about was some place
that had a boxed set of individualized compartments of all of the
colors of Gutterman. It probably was a promotional item or some such
thing. You could hang it up on the wall or otherwise use it for
storage as well as display it.

John

I actually found the place that sells that boxed sets of Gutterman;
and the answer is of course "Joann's". I can't find it any other place
so I may make myself another wall hung rack to hold the threads I buy
that wont fit into the one I currently have for small spool thread.

John

Old September 27th 07, 02:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

I think that maybe I have see the bulk thread----one like you are asking
about with spools of each color---in one of the quilt mag ads but I don't
remember which one. I remember seeing in a TSWLTH ad where there was a 15 ?
spool assortment on sale back a few months ago. Also, there was a small
assortment of black, white, & tan.
Barbara in SC