Show of hands

Old July 6th 08, 12:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
anne

Default Show of hands

How many of you sign and date your work? If yes, do you use your full
name, initials, or ?

Do you keep a stitching journal?

I'll go first -- I usually don't sign my work, mostly because I haven't
hit on a way to attractively and quickly do small letters. For the
grandbaby stitcheries, I made labels for the backs.

I don't keep a stitching journal. However, I have several subject
specific notebooks that contain cardboard backed doodle cloths that
illustrate my sometimes feeble attempts. They serve as reminders that I
tried something and maybe shouldn't do it again or maybe time has passed
and I've learned more and should try again. I also photograph most of
projects.
--
another anne, add ingers to reply
Old July 6th 08, 01:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dr. Brat

anne wrote:

How many of you sign and date your work? If yes, do you use your full
name, initials, or ?

I put my intitials and a date in the bottom right corner of the work
istself. I then make a label for the back of the frame with my name,
the date, the designer, and for whom I stitched it.

Elizabeth
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Old July 6th 08, 01:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Donna

On Jul 6, 7:44 am, anne wrote:
How many of you sign and date your work? If yes, do you use your full
name, initials, or ?

Do you keep a stitching journal?

I'll go first -- I usually don't sign my work, mostly because I haven't
hit on a way to attractively and quickly do small letters. For the
grandbaby stitcheries, I made labels for the backs.

I don't keep a stitching journal. However, I have several subject
specific notebooks that contain cardboard backed doodle cloths that
illustrate my sometimes feeble attempts. They serve as reminders that I
tried something and maybe shouldn't do it again or maybe time has passed
and I've learned more and should try again. I also photograph most of
projects.
--
another anne, add ingers to reply

I nearly always backstitch my initials and the date of the finish onto
my work, usually somewhere at the bottom.
The exceptions are - I didn't do this on a reproduction sampler. The
information is on the back of the framing.
And small pieces don't always get the initial treatment if I think it
would detract from the piece by being distracting.

I've kept a stitching journal for 12 years, though I don't update as
frequently as I did. I note when I start a new piece, what
it is, what changes I've made in fabric or threads. I try to write
about current projects or classes taken. And I always note a finish.
Some of this info has migrated onto my needlework blog, but I don't
mind duplication. Because I frequently change things about a
piece, it's nice to have a handy reference when someone asks what I
used.

Donna in Virginia
Old July 6th 08, 02:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Tia Mary

anne wrote:

How many of you sign and date your work? If yes, do you use your full
name, initials, or ?

Do you keep a stitching journal?
...snipped....

I sign and date almost everything I do if it is large enough. One
of the things in my rotation is a plastic canvas cover for kleenex. I
usually won't sign something like that unless it is a gift. I don't
keep a stitching journal, never have and can't imagine starting doing so
now.
When I "sign" my work, I use only my initials and the date is
7-6-08. I always hide this stuff somewhere in the design so that it is
not obviously visible. It's there is you look but a cursory look at the
piece won't show it. Of course, the exception to this is stuff that has
an obvious place for it. The sampler I did for Janet for Christmas last
year had two houses with our initials above each one. Then after the
letters and numbers, it had the date.
I try to remember to take photos of the finished pieces now instead
of having a journal. I do keep all of the charts, directions and
*maybe* thread samples for stuff I have finished in case I ever need it.
CiaoMeow ^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
their whiskers!
Visit my Photo albums at http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary
Old July 6th 08, 02:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Lucille[_3_]

"Tia Mary" wrote in message
anne wrote:

[...]

^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
their whiskers!
Visit my Photo albums at http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary

I try to put small initials in a discreet place. Sometimes they are
integrated into the design and sometimes they appear in the corner and once
it was smack in the middle of the bottom. I should tell you that was
because I got a dot of chocolate on the fabric and couldn't get it out so I
covered it that way. I don't recommend that as a way to decide where to
sign your piece.

Lucille

Old July 6th 08, 05:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C - California

anne wrote:

How many of you sign and date your work? If yes, do you use your full
name, initials, or ?

What am I stitching? On an ornament, not unless it's a swap. On most
pieces, KMC 2008. On heirloom-quality pieces, I'll stitch in the margin
of the fabric, so it's a surprise when someone finally decides to
re-frame it "stitched by my full name for her cousin her full name
in honor of her 16th birthday Month/date/year".

Do you keep a stitching journal?

I keep photos. And, of course, my sig line here changes, so I can
quickly google up a completion date.

--

Karen C - California
Editor/Proofreader www.IntlProofingConsortium.com

Finished 6/28/08 - Dimensions "Wolf"

WIP: Christmas Music Bellpull, Oriental Kimono (Janlynn),
MLI The Teacher (gift to the library), Bethany Angel,
Flowers of Hawaii (Jeanette Crews) for ME!!!
Retrieved from UFO pile: Marbek's Snow Angel

CFSfacts -- where we give you the facts and dispel the myths
Myths, with research cites: http://www.aacfs.org/images/pdfs/myths.pdf
Newest research blog: http://journals.aol.com/kmc528/Lifeasweknowit/
Old July 6th 08, 07:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Liz from Humbug

On Jul 6, 4:44*am, anne wrote:
How many of you sign and date your work? If yes, do you use your full
name, initials, or ?

Do you keep a stitching journal?

I'll go first -- I usually don't sign my work, mostly because I haven't
hit on a way to attractively and quickly do small letters. For the
grandbaby stitcheries, I *made labels for the backs.

I don't keep a stitching journal. However, I have several subject
specific notebooks that contain cardboard backed doodle cloths that
illustrate my sometimes feeble attempts. They serve as reminders that I
tried something and maybe shouldn't do it again or maybe time has passed
and I've learned more and should try again. I also photograph most of
projects.
--
another anne, add ingers to reply

No stitching journal but I sign, date and try to get a picture of
everything I make. If it is for someone in the family, I just put
"Liz" and "2008". If it's for someone else, I will put "Liz H" and
the year. I never bother putting the month. Where it goes depends on
the design - sometimes under where the mat board or frame will go and
sometimes hidden in a corner or in subtle shades but out where it can
be seen. One reason I asked DH for a "regular" old fashioned camera
a few years ago was so that I can have an actual photograph to put in
a binder of needlework photos. It's nice to have them on the computer
so I can send pictures via email or look at the quickly but I REALLY
like to have a regular photograph in the book also.
Liz from Humbug
Old July 7th 08, 11:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Shanti

On Jul 6, 12:44*pm, anne wrote:
How many of you sign and date your work? If yes, do you use your full
name, initials, or ?

Do you keep a stitching journal?

I use a squiggle in backstitch for S, in which the tail of the S loops
over the top and comes to the right-hand side and finishes in a tiny
French knot. I only use it for largish ornamental pieces that I give
away, and I certainly don't use a signature on "useful" articles, even
if I give them as presents. I don't have a stitching journal as such,
but usually have a few notes for new projects. For instance, I made a
few purificators and lavabos for the local church, and I have these
details down as I shall be doing them again when these wear out. I
photograph my work if I remember to do it. I checked my "embroidery"
folder just now to see what I had in it, and it seems that I was more
diligent in photographing stuff when I was a beginner, as there are
plenty from 2005, fewer from 2006, one or two from last year and
hardly none from the last six months! So, there are countless projects
of which I have no record, and when I come across one unexpectedly I'm
usually very surprised!

- Shanti.
Old July 7th 08, 08:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joan E.

On Jul 6, 1:43 pm, Liz from Humbug wrote:
I never bother putting the month. Where it goes depends on
the design - ... hidden in a corner or in subtle shades but out where it can
be seen.

Yeah, what she said. And just my initials. AFAIR, I've signed
everything I've ever stitched.

Joan

Look Ma! No hands Polly Esther[_2_] Quilting 97 January 16th 08 02:40 PM
hands michele Glass 9 November 15th 07 08:39 PM
Hands and Feet Sally Swindells Quilting 7 May 29th 05 04:20 PM
Dry Hands/Fingers Margie Beads 70 October 6th 04 08:26 AM
OT Whose hands are these? Marisa Cappetta Beads 27 June 7th 04 12:38 PM