Joining fabric

Old March 28th 08, 03:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

Default Joining fabric

On Mar 28, 4:49*am, Tia Mary wrote:
Tia Mary wrote:
......snipped.........
* *In the unstitched areas, you can finish the raw edges in one of two
ways. *The first is to turn under the raw edges on either side of the
seam, hand stitching it down with thread of the same color. *The other
is to do a French seam where you press the seam allowance to one side,
trim the seam allowance that is next to the body of the fabric to about
half its width and then carefully turn under the top seam allowance to
cover the raw edges and hand stitch down. *........snipped.......

* *MY BAD!!!! *Thanks to Joyce in RSA, who brought this glaring mistake
to my attention! *All I can say is I must have still been half asleep
when I wrote this. *What I have described is NOT a French Seam which is
done when the fabric is sewn WRONG sides together in about a 1/4" seam,
* *and then folded in so the right sides are together and the final seam
is stitched along the original seam line. *This encloses the raw edges
within the seam allowance which is left loose.
* *Joyce says what I describe is, to her, a specific type of fell seam
-- sorry I can't remember what her term was. *I know what I have
described above is not what I learned as a flat fell seam where half the
seam allowance along the raw edges of both pieces of fabric is pressed
in, one to the front and one to the back. *The two edges are then
"interlocked" (rather like folding your fingers of each hand into the
palm and then joining them together) and a row of stitching is done
along both of the fold lines. *What I describe is a sort of felled seam
but I can't for the life of me remember what the proper name is for it
-- and MOI a PROfessional seamstress!!! *The only thing that comes to
mind is a mock fell seam but I don't think that is correct.
* * I must be having a Senior Moment so if anyone can tell me the proper
name for this sort of "Joe McGee" flat fell seam, I would greatly
appreciate it :-)! *CiaoMeow ^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ * (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
their whiskers!
Visit my Photo albums at *http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary

You would not believe me , but both you and joyce were right , this
particular seam you described , does Have different names , in
different countries. As long as you described How it is done , it is
ok , and don`t be bothered by the Different names.
mirjam
Old March 28th 08, 04:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

[...]

mirjam- Hide quoted text -

Ps Same as in names of places clothes sewing items SEAMS do have
different names in different countries, the above mentioned seam
apears under the name flat seam , French seam /English seam ,,,,
depends who the intends to use it.
mirjam
Old March 28th 08, 06:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joyce

We called that "run and fell" seam, but then it was all by hand, so done
with running stitch and hemming! As Miriam says, the names differ, that's
why I didn't say you were wrong, just different! I didn't know our French
seam was called English seam elsewhere - that's like the French horn - cor
Anglaise; Broderie anglaise - ?

Joyce in RSA.

Old March 28th 08, 05:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Fran

Thank you all very much. This will be very helpful. The work is
primarily going to be pulled thread and kloster blocks with some cross
stitch and satin stitching. The very center will be stitched. Right
now I am in the process of gridding these two pieces and will join
them once I can match gridlines. The reason I chose the pearl linen
is that it comes in 67" widths. I had hoped that ordering 2 yards
would result in a single piece but of course that did not happen.
Fortunately, the cut ends are overstitched so I do not have to do any
other overstitching until I am ready to join the pieces. I will try
to keep you up to date on my progress. I have a November 1 deadline.
Old March 29th 08, 12:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
BeverlyB

This is too late for you now but if you ever do a project like this again
you should call or e-mail your supplier and tell them specifically that you
need a 2 yard length instead of just ordering 2 yards. That way not only do
you not have to worry about a seam but you know the fabric came off the same
bolt and do not have to worry about the remote possibility of change in dye
lot.
I hope you are a very fast stitcher because there is now way that I could
stitch something that big and have it finished by November. More power to
you if you can and I too would love to see pictures when it is finished.

Beverly B

Joining seams Stella Fenley Yarn 1 July 11th 06 07:19 PM
Joining the ranks Brenda Lewis Needlework 2 May 16th 06 09:52 PM
joining fabric Addie Otto Needlework 1 August 14th 05 03:40 AM
OT Just joining the newsgroup Basswirth Quilting 13 February 25th 05 04:09 AM
Joining squares seaspray Yarn 9 November 28th 03 06:00 PM