yarn question

Old October 13th 04, 01:33 PM
Stella Fenley

Default yarn question

Hi everyone,
Could some one let me know what yarns are used on a 260 or 270 knitting
machine. Also can red heart yarns be knitted on the machine.
And how many strands do you work with?
Information will be appreciated .Thanks.
Stella

Old October 13th 04, 02:11 PM
posey

Stella,
You can use Red Heart yarn and probably use two strands on a high tension
(8-9) if you wanted to. I have used thicker than Red Heart on higher
tension and some chunky yarns may be used on every other needle. The HK260
doesn't particularly like yarns with "slubs", but some boucles work and fun
furs are good on it, too. I've tried chenille and Lion Brand works okay,
but heavy cotton chenille works better when woven with another yarn.

At a lower tension, it does well with DK or fingering weight, for a lacey
look.

Posey

.. .

Old October 13th 04, 05:19 PM
Helen Halla Fleischer

| On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 12:33:38 GMT, "Stella Fenley" wrote:

Hi everyone,
Could some one let me know what yarns are used on a 260 or 270 knitting
machine. Also can red heart yarns be knitted on the machine.
And how many strands do you work with?
Information will be appreciated .Thanks.
Stella

I use sport weight on tension 1 or 2. DK on 3 or 4. Worsted/Aran on 4, 5,
or 6, chunkier stuff on the higher numbers. Yes, I have knit with Heart on
my 260, single strand at tension 5. That gives me about the same gauge as I
would get hand knitting on a size 8 needle. Your gauge may vary.

Helen "Halla" Fleischer, Fantasy & Fiber Artist
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/
Balticon Art Program Coordinator http://www.balticon.org