Frame loom Weaving Question

Old January 26th 05, 08:23 PM
Amy Isleb

Default Frame loom Weaving Question

Hi,

I am new to weaving, and have a few books on the subject from which I
am learning. I have built a simple but large frame loom, with nails as
warp holders, for my first project - a simple two color (horizontal
stripe) scarf. Well, none of my books say how to exactly deal with
running out of yarn or changing colors. What I have done is to knot the
weft yarn pieces together at the outermost warp yarn when I want to
change to the second color for a stripe or just when I ran out of yarn
and had to rebuild my shuttle. However, I am thinking this is probably
not correct procedure and possibly not very strong. What should I be
doing instead?

Thanks,
Amy

Old January 27th 05, 01:59 AM
Wooly

That's the way I do it also. I generally leave 6" of tails and use an
overhand knot, making sure I snug the knot down evenly on both strands
and cozy it right up to a nail.

As an FYI, if you start in a corner on a square loom and work
diagonally you can work continuously and produce a self-warping,
self-selvedging piece.

Trilooms are a bunch of fun too

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 14:23:51 -0600, Amy Isleb
spewed forth :

Old January 27th 05, 05:46 AM
Els van Dam

In article 2005012614235116807%amyisleb@yahoocom, Amy Isleb
wrote:

Hi,

I am new to weaving, and have a few books on the subject from which I
am learning. I have built a simple but large frame loom, with nails as
warp holders, for my first project - a simple two color (horizontal
stripe) scarf. Well, none of my books say how to exactly deal with
running out of yarn or changing colors. What I have done is to knot the
weft yarn pieces together at the outermost warp yarn when I want to
change to the second color for a stripe or just when I ran out of yarn
and had to rebuild my shuttle. However, I am thinking this is probably
not correct procedure and possibly not very strong. What should I be
doing instead?

Thanks,
Amy

Hello Amy, great that you have started to weave, and also that you made
your own loom.

When you run out of yarn you overlap the old and new ends and beat them
down together, you can leave the tail ends hanging out and snip them off
later.

Depending on how many warp ends per inch you have you can overlap under 3
to 6 warp ends. For changing your stripe colour, you weave to the
selvedge and snip off your yarn and turn this tail end around your last
warp end and put it back in the same shed. beat down. Start with your
next colour on the other selvedge open the opposite shed and put in your
tail end, turn it around the last warp end at that edge and start weaving
in the same shed. You have achored your new colour around the last warp
end at that edge and put the start of your thread in the same shed. You
do not end and start that way on the same side to avoid to many ends
together, creating a bump. this way you keep your stripes neat and even.
There are many good books about frame loom weaving, that will show you
both ways I just told you about. Your local library should be able to
help, or if there is a Weaving Guild in your comunity that would be
another great place to go and ask for help and instructions. Let me know
if you have any problems.

Happy weaving

Els

--
hate spam not welcome
Old January 27th 05, 05:56 AM
Els van Dam

In article , Wooly
wrote:

That's the way I do it also. I generally leave 6" of tails and use an
overhand knot, making sure I snug the knot down evenly on both strands
and cozy it right up to a nail.

As an FYI, if you start in a corner on a square loom and work
diagonally you can work continuously and produce a self-warping,
self-selvedging piece.

Trilooms are a bunch of fun too

Wooly what do you do with the knots at your selvedge when you take your
piece off the loom.....and what do you do with the tail ends. We are
talking about running out of a weft thread as well as starting and
finishing off a stripe. Or did I understand it wrong.

My warp ends are knotted at the top and the bottom when I change colour or
when I run out of yarn. These knots can be cut off when the left over
ends become fringe for say a scarf or rug.

However; my weft ends are never knotted unless it would be a very special
design feature. They always over lap.

Els

--
hate spam not welcome
Old January 27th 05, 11:14 PM
Els van Dam

In article , Wooly
wrote:

Most of the things I make on a frame loom are continuous strand
self-warp self-selvedge and generally end up being fringed. The ends
aren't an issue in that case. The few pieces I've made that weren't
fringed required some interesting solutions to the Ends Question, none
of them elegant, I'm afraid.

Good explanation, that makes sense..LOL

Els

--
hate spam not welcome

question about looms for bead weaving FurPaw Beads 4 December 9th 04 05:29 AM
SOMET weaving loom grx Quilting 0 May 24th 04 09:13 AM
Hello and a question loom finishing Christina Peterson Beads 7 March 9th 04 03:07 PM
Scroll Frame Question Sorceress Needlework 4 August 22nd 03 01:10 PM
Question - Bead Loom Dr. Sooz Beads 72 July 14th 03 01:54 AM