Things to do in New Orleans

Old August 19th 10, 11:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Olwyn.Mary

Default Things to do in New Orleans

I thought we had better start a new subject, that one was getting too long.

On 8/19/2010 2:54 PM, Donna wrote:

I am headed your way in November. Any recommendations for things I
must see and do. I'll have maybe four days during which my hubby will
be at a conference.

Donna in Virginia

Oh yes indeed. When folk are coming to stay with me I generally
recommend that they stay a week, there is so much to do. Some
questions. Are you flying, driving or taking the train? If you are not
driving,I don't recommend you rent a car, most of the hotels around here
seem to have adopted the system of charging you to park your car in
their lot even though you are staying with them. Besides, there is all
kinds of public transport here.

Do you know yet where you will be staying? Uptown, downtown or in the
Quarter? I live 1.5 mi from the big Convention Center, but some larger
hotels can accommodate a smaller convention in house.

If in the Quarter, you can easily spend a couple of days just wandering
around looking at everything. Several state museums there. Depending on
your tastes, there is also the Zoo (uptown) which you can reach by
taking one of the original streetcars along St Charles Avenue and from
which you can also take a boat ride downtown to the Aquarium, then walk
over (if you are still alive)to the new Insectarium not far away.

You can take one of the new streetcars up Canal Street to the Art
Museum, which is in City Park. If you are into shopping, there is the
world famous Magazine Street, where I buy my groceries and other
necessities, and visitors ooh and aah over the "6 miles of art
galleries, boutiques and antique stores".

On Magazine St there is also Garden District Needlework,
(www.gardendistrictneedlework.biz) which claims to be the biggest in the
Southeast. There is also another needlework store out in the 'burbs
which most members of our local guild patronise.

LMK when you have some hard info and we can make plans. I have a short
(halfday) tour on which I take friends, and, of course, we can have a
nice lunch somewhere, also depending on your tastes.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.

Old August 20th 10, 02:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Donna

*
* Donna in Virginia

Oh yes indeed. *When folk are coming to stay with me I generally
recommend that they stay a week, there is so much to do. *Some
questions. *Are you flying, driving or taking the train? *If you are not
driving,I don't recommend you rent a car, most of the hotels around here
seem to have adopted the system of charging you to park your car in
their lot even though you are staying with them. *Besides, there is all
kinds of public transport here.

Flying. And I don't believe we will be getting a rental car. Just kind
of depends on DH decides he wants to see and do in our spare time.
There is one place we'd like to go outside the city so we get a rental
for day.

Do you know yet where you will be staying? *Uptown, downtown or in the
Quarter? *I live 1.5 mi from the big Convention Center, but some larger
hotels can accommodate a smaller convention in house.

I don't exactly where we are staying, but I assume it's close to
Convention Center. This is the GEOINT symposium.

If in the Quarter, you can easily spend a couple of days just wandering
around looking at everything. Several state museums there. Depending on
your tastes, there is also the Zoo (uptown) which you can reach by
taking one of the original streetcars along St Charles Avenue and from
which you can also take a boat ride downtown to the Aquarium, then walk
over (if you are still alive)to the new Insectarium not far away.

Streetcars and insects! I'm going to love, love, love this trip.

You can take one of the new streetcars up Canal Street to the Art
Museum, which is in City Park. *If you are into shopping, there is the
world famous Magazine Street, where I buy my groceries and other
necessities, and visitors ooh and aah over the "6 miles of art
galleries, boutiques and antique stores".

Yup. Sounds fabulous.

On Magazine St there is also Garden District Needlework,
(www.gardendistrictneedlework.biz) which claims to be the biggest in the
Southeast. *There is also another needlework store out in the 'burbs
which most members of our local guild patronise.

Ah. Thank you. I've already saved their website.

LMK when you have some hard info and we can make plans. *I have a short
(halfday) tour on which I take friends, and, of course, we can have a
nice lunch somewhere, also depending on your tastes.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.

Thank you! Thank you!

I am so excited by this trip. I have always wanted to visit New
Orleans.

Donna in Virginia
Old August 20th 10, 03:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lucille

"Donna" wrote in message
[...]

You will love it. It's a great city and I think you could easily spend
months without really doing everything you want to.

Lucille