transfering pic to clay

Old December 16th 03, 10:07 AM
Elizabeth M. Phillips

Default transfering pic to clay

I tried not very successfully to transfer a picture to clay. I did visit
Glass Attic. I had a book, too, but just couldn't get it to be clear and
really transfer. Even left the pic on the clay in the oven, but it just
didn't work.

I had bought some lazer tran and the other similar paper, but could not
find them sniff, sniff and so had to use regular paper. The pics had
been copied at Office Depot in color.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Old December 17th 03, 04:24 AM
dawn

This is not a direct answer to your question but it did remind me of
something I wanted to share. I make "banners" for the fronts of the bases
that my figures are mounted on. I use Kato clay for my whites because it
doesn't discolor as much as Premo white. I make the banners by transfering
the lettering to the clay. I use an iron to do the transfer and then put it
in the oven to finish. When I used Kato it was very difficult to get a good
"black transfer". The lettering generally came out blue instead and it took
a few minutes to get the tranfer to take. I tried it with Premo just for
kicks and in seconds instead of minutes I had a nice "black" transfer. The
Premo took the transfer much faster and the coloring stayed true. It seems
that different clays react differently to the transfer process
Dawn Stubitsch
http://www.thumbprintkids.com
http://www.thumbprintkids.com/pages/caketoppers.html

Old December 17th 03, 05:14 AM
Irwin

Once upon a time, I also tried unsuccessfully to transfer color copies
to polymer clay.

The problem is that the ink in color copies does not fuse to the clay
as toner does. The methods that I have learned for using color copies
really amount to baking the copy with the paper on and then rubbing
the paper off, leaving just the ink on the clay.
With color copies, you cannot take the copy off before baking; the ink
just doesn't "take" that way.

I've tried it a few times, also with poor results. I've seen beautiful
copies using this method so I think it's just a matter of practice to
get it right.

--- Irwin

P.S. Please visit my site - walkenfeld.com - and follow the link to my
photo album. New work includes "Games," "Name Plates," and some items
in "Mixed Media."
Old December 17th 03, 05:25 AM
K&N

I believe the photo copier makes a difference too. I've not tried colored
transfers, but I do know the older black and white photo copiers transfer
things MUCH better than the newer ones. You might just try a different
photo copier.

Otherwise, I hand color black and white pics with Prisma colors and get
pretty good transfers.

Lots of luck!
Nan

Old December 17th 03, 04:14 PM
Sjpolyclay

It seems
that different clays react differently to the transfer process

also different toners/inks--when our local Kinko's got new copy machines, my
transfers all started coming out blue. Same clay, same paper, different copy
machine. Old slow machines seem to make the best transfer copies, in my
experience.
Sarajane

Sarajane's Polymer Clay Gallery
http://www.polyclay.com

Poly Clay/ wicked Candace Stephanie Beads 49 September 12th 04 03:07 AM
Kato clay... Louise Polymer Clay 4 November 19th 03 12:37 AM
Sculpey Eraser Clay - one year later Irwin Polymer Clay 3 October 21st 03 09:06 PM
Makins and La Doll & other stone ground mineral clays?? DianeGlassAttic Polymer Clay 0 October 13th 03 06:21 PM
Modeling clay as a substitute for "clay bars" for auto detailing? Jon Noring Polymer Clay 4 September 23rd 03 12:36 AM