OT - sorta maybe

Old October 22nd 06, 05:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Jackie

Default OT - sorta maybe

That makes sense -- thanks for taking the time to explain it. -- Jackie
Olwyn Mary wrote:
Jackie wrote:
Well, I just looked up "felled seam" and now I'm confused -- but then,
you didn't say it is a felled seam, just that it looks like one, so I
guess I don't really need to understand it. You overlap the edges by
half an inch , sew down the visible edge, then turn the whole thing
over (or inside out) and sew down the other edge -- is that right?
Doesn't it get too bulky on the thumb?

Yes, you have the right idea. It ends up looking like (for instance)
the seam on jeans. Yes indeed, this would be much too thick for
mittens. Depending on the thickness of the felt, I would either just
whip stitch closely all around the edges, or else machine stitch around
and let the seam show on the outside. Whipstitch - Take your needle
and thread and, from the outside, go in one side of the mitten and come
out the other, carry the thread over the top of the work, move the
needle a lttle way along and do over, so you end up with a look like
this on the outside ///////////

If you use matching thread, the stitches will disappear inside the fabric.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.

Old October 22nd 06, 06:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Olwyn Mary

Jackie wrote:
That makes sense -- thanks for taking the time to explain it. -- Jackie

Delighted I could help. Good luck with your projects.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.

Old October 22nd 06, 07:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Shillelagh

"Olwyn Mary" wrote in message
.. .
Jackie wrote:
Well, I just looked up "felled seam" and now I'm confused -- but then,
you didn't say it is a felled seam, just that it looks like one, so I
guess I don't really need to understand it. You overlap the edges by
half an inch , sew down the visible edge, then turn the whole thing
over (or inside out) and sew down the other edge -- is that right?
Doesn't it get too bulky on the thumb?

Heh - expressions are different in different places. When I learned to sew
(many moons ago) I was taught it was a "flat fell" seam.

Shelagh

Old October 22nd 06, 09:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Olwyn Mary

Shillelagh wrote:

Heh - expressions are different in different places. When I learned to sew
(many moons ago) I was taught it was a "flat fell" seam.

Shelagh

Me too, but expressions seem to change. I figure there are times when
it is
more important to be understood than to be correct, although I must
admit to
a decided preference for "proper language" and correct terms.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.

Old October 23rd 06, 02:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
spampot

Olwyn Mary wrote:
Shillelagh wrote:

Heh - expressions are different in different places. When I learned
to sew
(many moons ago) I was taught it was a "flat fell" seam.

Shelagh

Me too, but expressions seem to change. I figure there are times when
it is
more important to be understood than to be correct, although I must
admit to
a decided preference for "proper language" and correct terms.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.

Ah, but the advantage of "proper language" is that it standardizes, so
one has a greater chance of being understood! But I think the "fell vs.
flat-fell" distinction is one of regional or evolution of terms, not
lack of correctness.

But then I've been an editor for a long time.
Old October 23rd 06, 06:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Shillelagh

"spampot" wrote in message

Ah, but the advantage of "proper language" is that it standardizes, so
one has a greater chance of being understood! But I think the "fell vs.
flat-fell" distinction is one of regional or evolution of terms, not
lack of correctness.

But then I've been an editor for a long time.

Okay then, here's where part of the regional thing might come in - I'm
Canadian, and a LOT of our language basics come from England, with the odd
French word in there.

Shelagh

Old October 23rd 06, 07:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Olwyn Mary

Shillelagh wrote:

Okay then, here's where part of the regional thing might come in - I'm
Canadian, and a LOT of our language basics come from England, with the odd
French word in there.

Shelagh

And I was born and brought up in England, but have spent my married life in
Montreal, various parts of Ohio, Tampa, Florida, and now here I am in
The Big
(not so) Easy.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.

Old October 23rd 06, 08:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
spampot

Shillelagh wrote:
"spampot" wrote in message

Ah, but the advantage of "proper language" is that it standardizes, so
one has a greater chance of being understood! But I think the "fell vs.
flat-fell" distinction is one of regional or evolution of terms, not
lack of correctness.

But then I've been an editor for a long time.

Okay then, here's where part of the regional thing might come in - I'm
Canadian, and a LOT of our language basics come from England, with the odd
French word in there.

Shelagh

That would indeed do it. I work with Commonwealth nationals and I'm
always insisting to my underlings that we have to avoid U.S. usages that
don't translate well or are confusing.

Old October 23rd 06, 11:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Shillelagh

"Olwyn Mary" wrote in message
.. .
And I was born and brought up in England, but have spent my married life

in
Montreal, various parts of Ohio, Tampa, Florida, and now here I am in
The Big
(not so) Easy.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.

I LOVE Montreal - have visited there a few times. Had fun shopping and
eating, eating and shopping. Even tried out my high school French. How
long did you live there?

Shelagh