walking foot necessary?

Old November 22nd 05, 07:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default walking foot necessary?

It's not necessary, but helpful. If you don't have one, be sure to baste
very carefully and fairly close together - safety pins no more than 4"
apart. Cotton batting doesn't shift as much as polyester because it is
less slippery, so use a cotton batting if you can. I have also found
that I have less slipping when I use basting spray. If you don't have a
walking foot and use basting spray, you may also want to use a few
safety pins, though you shouldn't need nearly as many as without the
spray.

If you have a roller foot, that would also help, though I suspect that
is something most people do not have. I bought one about 25 years ago
when I was sewing vests from prequilted nylon. It was helpful in
preventing slipping and puckering. I also used it a lot for sewing
knits. A roller foot has textured rollers behind and in front of the
needle that grab the fabric and move it along evenly, somewhat like what
a walking foot does. There is a picture at
http://store.southwest-sewing.com/roprfe.html

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old November 23rd 05, 02:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I love my walking foot - it's great for straight lines or for putting
binding on ... but if you plan to just stipple or free motion quilt (like
any design you please), an embroidery foot will do the job - just lower your
feed dogs and create - it's great fun.

Sharon (N.B.)
.................................................. .............

"Sara Lorimer" wrote in message
news:1h6f5c3.dfun5h1wc98kiN%que.sara.saraDELETE@gm ail.com...
I'd like to machine quilt the quilt I'm working on now (my second), as I
don't have the time or patience to hand-quilt and hand-tying doesn't
really go with the way the quilt looks so far. I don't have a walking
foot for my sewing machine. Are they really necessary for machine
quilting? I have a Pfaff Hobby, which I'm happy with, but it isn't the
fanciest of machines.

--
SML

Old November 23rd 05, 04:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I agree with you on the stipling. Lowering feed dogs and using a foot
that looks like a tiny embroidery foot was what I liked best for that
technique. I can't remember, how much, or if I released the pressure off
the pressure foot completely, what do you do about that when stippling? I
can't even imagine doing stipling with a walking foot, I think it wouldn't
work, but maybe I'm wrong.

--
Happiness doesn't come from having things, it comes from *having things you
can find*
"clancyc" wrote in message
I love my walking foot - it's great for straight lines or for putting
binding on ... but if you plan to just stipple or free motion quilt (like
any design you please), an embroidery foot will do the job - just lower

your
feed dogs and create - it's great fun.

Sharon (N.B.)
.................................................. ............

Old November 23rd 05, 02:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I've never done stippling with the walking foot on. I do use the embroidery
foot, feed dogs down and, yes, I put the pressure clamp down when stippling.
I also if you think too much about what you're doing while stippling, it
doesn't turn out as well. A good steady speed is best. It's great fun.

Sharon (N.B.)
.................................................. .................

Old November 23rd 05, 04:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

The first time I tried to stiple, I went nice and slow, thinking it would
help me do a better job, but it was turning out horribly. Thankfully, I
was with others having a quilting day and they quickly told me that you
needed to speed up if you were going to get the stitches right, and they
were right. Some of my stitches were coming out to large, and when I
speeded up they were all nice and small and it even seemed that I could move
the fabric easier.
I hope to try to do something in quilting soon again.

--
"clancyc" wrote in message
I've never done stippling with the walking foot on. I do use the

embroidery
foot, feed dogs down and, yes, I put the pressure clamp down when

stippling.
I also if you think too much about what you're doing while stippling, it
doesn't turn out as well. A good steady speed is best. It's great fun.

Sharon (N.B.)

walking foot Becky Quilting 27 June 16th 04 04:03 PM
Walking Foot To Give Away "long". Dixie Quilting 4 April 24th 04 03:41 PM
Walking Foot Karlee in Kansas Quilting 1 December 13th 03 09:38 PM
Generic walking foot? D&D Quilting 0 October 24th 03 11:38 AM
A walk(ing foot) in the park KittyG Quilting 18 October 21st 03 06:35 PM