Texture

Old August 31st 03, 03:24 PM
Dewitt

Default Texture

On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 09:09:54 +0000 (UTC), Uncle John
wrote:

Once bisqued I cover it with manganses dioxide and rub it off. The final
product has a real organic look and feel to it

Has anybody got any other suggestions for adding texture to a thrown pot?

I don't have any texturing ideas for you, but please be careful with
the manganese dioxide. Exposure to manganese fumes during firing
builds up over time and can result in Parkinson's disease-like
symptoms. I don't recall the name, but one well known potter is
believed to have died from this. Fire only in a well ventilated area.

deg
Old August 31st 03, 05:07 PM
Slgraber

i've been throwing pots with texture from only the inside for about 15 years
now. sometime way back a potter told me there are two primary throwing styles
- eastern and western. western shapes the outside, eastern shapes the inside.
(not sure on accuracy, but there are ALOT of people shaping only from the
inside).

the classic vase shape - i believe - is a natural result of shaping from only
the inside. the clay springs back to a certain location when stretched from
the inside. classic greek shapes are also natural forms from inside throwing.
high shoulder pots are "easy" this way.

heavy bottom pots mean you'll have to concentrate more in the cylinder lift.
get that bottom corner thin to start with. and exagerate the diameter at the
bottom - go bigger. too small a foot tends to happen, and the clay stays thick
there. also, it's easy to accidently kick the walls off the foundation and
collapse a pot from inside stretching so i go softly the first few inches off
the floor, then push harder & harder toward the top. as the pots reaches "done"
i go back and work the floor corners a bit more. on larger pots i'll shape
till the pot kinda sags (i like this affect lately) leave it sit for a bit to
stiffen, then stretch some more. i can get huge baloon shapes and ultra thin
walls. alot of times the applied texture to the outside even works it's way to
the inside when the walls get real thin. on occastion i deliberately strect
till the walls blow out so i can always understand where "too thin" is.

some level of trimming can occur after throwing. everyone wants to retain
texture all over - to the detriment of the overall shape of the pot - but try
to trim a bit anyway. texture's cool but don't forget basic shape.

meanwhile it's a BLAST throwing pots from the inside with texture! i used
rollers to apply texture. paint rollers, pastry cutters, some pizza cutters,
the wall papper guys use some roller with gear teeth that pepper a pot and can
make it look like woven rope. toy truck tires are awsum to use. old saw
blades, tupperware cake decorating tools, dentist tools, forks from the
kitchen.

i talked my old company into buying a rapid prototype machine that can "print"
3D parts from the computer screen. the laser additive process makes parts to
tight tolerances (+/- .005 inches) and is very useful in the engineering &
manufacturing world. it ALSO helped me make TONS of other texture tools that i
couldn't have done otherwise. drop me a line and i'll gladly send you a JPG
file of texture tools i've used. the result on pots are beautiful! an added
result is glazes stick very well and i seldom have glaze runoff problems.

here's some very old pictures of my work:
http://www.butlerwebs.com/art/slgraber-pottery.htm

see ya

steve graber

Subject: Texture
From: Uncle John
Date: 8/31/2003 2:09 AM Pacific Daylight Time
I have been getting texture on the outside of pots by throwing a cylinder,
ribbing the slurry off, then painting it with sodium silicate solution. I
then dry it off with a heat gun.

I use a low fired white stoneware clay

The next step is to throw the form from the inside. As the walls stretch
out outwards the outside layer which was deflocced by the sodium silicate
cracks and forms a decorative surface.

The trick is that while you are throwing the pot you can't touch the
ouside, you can only form from the inside.

The problem I have is, that I can't refine the shape and I tend to throw
the walls and the base too thick and the pot is too heavy.

Once bisqued I cover it with manganses dioxide and rub it off. The final
product has a real organic look and feel to it

Has anybody got any other suggestions for adding texture to a thrown pot?

Thank you

John W

steve graber
Old August 31st 03, 08:23 PM
Cee White

Steve,

I'd love to get that jpg showing your texturing tools. I want to reply
online. Your work is awesome and varied. Would you share how you
textured that Japanese lantern? And your son's mermaid is an
impressive sculpture. I have to assume he's an adult who's been doing
art for a while?

I appreciate Uncle John's starting this texture thread. I'll try the
sodium silicate solution and also the internal stretching and forming.

Lana Wilson was at the 2003 NCECA Conference. Her texturing was
fascinating. Her old book isn't presently available. The Joachim
Chavarria is the best one I've found.

Fun things to do..........

Thanks, guys.......

Cee White

Old August 31st 03, 10:43 PM
Slgraber

thanks for the kind words - i sent you some JPG's of the tools i use. aside
from the "found" tools i use SolidWorks design software to make the other
unusual tools. helical gears are fun to use - but SO expensive!

the japanese lanter was made using alot of little clay bricks. it's an amusing
process and i've used it to make the lantern, bird baths, planters, etc. i
started the technique after i got board making a coil pot in a pottery class.
i made a log cabin instead. after a few log cabins i decided to squash the
logs and cut them to make a stone brick house instead. after seeing the result
that was coming from the process i just made whatever struck me at the time
using the brick layer method.

my step kid is a grown man - mostly good at drawing but dabbles in clay
sometimes. it sure hurts to see someone take to clay so easily, do so well at
it like he does, yet he doesn't want to do any clay work or work at it much at
all.

i've yet to try the silicate method mentioned, as well as "dusting" of a pot
like i've also heard. i hear if you 'dust" a pot with dry clay powder &
stretch the pot out you'll also get a crack apearance from the dust stretching
out and fresh clay below getting exposed.

it's on my list of things to do some day...

see ya

steve

Old September 1st 03, 12:28 AM
potty

wrote:

Once bisqued I cover it with manganses dioxide and rub it off. The final
product has a real organic look and feel to it

I don't have any texturing ideas for you, but please be careful with
the manganese dioxide. Exposure to manganese fumes during firing
builds up over time and can result in Parkinson's disease-like
symptoms. I don't recall the name, but one well known potter is
believed to have died from this. Fire only in a well ventilated area.

deg

It was Hans Coper who died from amyothropic lateral sclerosis which was,
as you say, as a result of working with manganese - not only the firing
- he achieved beautiful effects by working back into manganese slips and
oxides, without a mask. At the same time, though, Lucie Rie, also a god
in the ceramic world, lived to the grand old age of 93; she worked
closely with Coper for many years, and used manganese also to a great
extent. I think you should stiil be able to find an article by jane
Watkins who suffers from Parkinsons on her experience as a probable
result of manganese poisoning - it's frightening but should be read. You
should find it at http://www.digitalfire.com/education...ty/watkins.htm.

I've also used the hot air gun on the rim and it does work well. Got the
method from a descriptions of John lawson's method in Josie Warshaw's
Complete Practical Potter pushing out with a rounded end stick in
concentric spirals.

Pete
Old September 1st 03, 12:56 AM
Uncle John

It was Hans Coper who died from amyothropic lateral sclerosis which
was, as you say, as a result of working with manganese - not only the
firing - he achieved beautiful effects by working back into manganese
slips and oxides, without a mask. At the same time, though, Lucie Rie,

Thanks for that. I ahve taken care in application and the rubbing off but I
think it will go out the back and keep the barium company.

Uncle John
Old September 2nd 03, 08:09 AM
Steve Mills

In article , Slgraber
writes
i've yet to try the silicate method mentioned, as well as "dusting" of a pot
like i've also heard. i hear if you 'dust" a pot with dry clay powder &
stretch the pot out you'll also get a crack apearance from the dust stretching
out and fresh clay below getting exposed.

Steve I've seen an article on a Potter who uses a similar technique;
dusts the outside with Kaolin, then stretches it from the inside. The
results are very impressive.
--
Steve Mills
Bath
Old September 3rd 03, 10:30 AM
annemarie

"potty" wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

Yuk, I just bought some manganese the other day, will be very careful now,
thanks )

texture beads Grant Beads 5 January 25th 04 09:19 PM
texture beads Grant Polymer Clay 3 January 25th 04 09:19 PM
Carving Texture & Fur Jim Carving 4 November 26th 03 04:59 PM
COMM: Texture sheets, canes, cane ends etc Jan Ruhnow Polymer Clay 0 November 10th 03 06:18 PM
COMM: Texture sheets, bead rollers, molds and more Jan Ruhnow Polymer Clay 0 November 5th 03 03:39 PM