Failed copper patina on stained glass

Old November 26th 03, 05:30 PM
Adrian

Default Failed copper patina on stained glass

Hi all

I'm having dificulty with getting a decent copper patina on
the solder joints on Tiffany-style stained glass items.

After soldering, I give the soldered seams a good clean with
detergent supplied by my friendly local stained glass shop.

Then I dry the item, and apply copper patina solution with a
'non-stick' scourer.

Some of the seams work out well - others end up a dull grey colour.

Any idea what I'm, doing wrong ??

Thanks
Adrian
Suffolk UK
Old November 26th 03, 07:05 PM
Michele Blank

Tiffany style is usually referring to copper foil. It sounds like you are
using lead came??? anyway, try a) 000 brass wool after drying, wipe lightly
then brush the patina on with a soft brush. b) hit the solder with Windex
immediately after soldering (do not wash) Leave flux there, just Windex,
wipe with paper towel, apply patina. Wash wash wash with dawn or other
degreaser. it gets really bright copper after polishing. m

Old November 26th 03, 07:34 PM
Adrian

HI Michele

Tiffany style is usually referring to copper foil. It sounds like you are
using lead came??? anyway, try a) 000 brass wool after drying, wipe lightly
then brush the patina on with a soft brush. b) hit the solder with Windex
immediately after soldering (do not wash) Leave flux there, just Windex,
wipe with paper towel, apply patina. Wash wash wash with dawn or other
degreaser. it gets really bright copper after polishing. m

Thanks for the comments.
No - I'm using copper foil, but after foiling the glass pieces are
soldered together and a solder bead is added where the pieces join.

The idea is to patinate the solder back to copper.

I don't know Windex - what is that ? (I'm based in the UK - maybe it's
a product that's not available over here..?)

Thanks
Adrian
Suffolk UK

Old November 26th 03, 10:05 PM
Michele Blank

it's an ammonia based window/glass cleaning product. comes in a bottle with
a sprayer, liquid is blue. i'm sure you have an equivalent?? m

HI Michele

Old November 27th 03, 03:55 AM
jk

"Adrian" wrote in message
Hi all

I'm having dificulty with getting a decent copper patina on
the solder joints on Tiffany-style stained glass items.

After soldering, I give the soldered seams a good clean with
detergent supplied by my friendly local stained glass shop.

Then I dry the item, and apply copper patina solution with a
'non-stick' scourer.

Some of the seams work out well - others end up a dull grey colour.

Any idea what I'm, doing wrong ??

Thanks
Adrian
Suffolk UK

2 possibilities. You need fresh chemicals and/or the detergent you are
using is leaving a film, thus sabotaging your efforts. Here's what I do with
good results.
Use mild water soluable flux. Rinse off with hot plain soapy water ONLY.
Let air dry, (cloth will also leave a film), then apply patina liberally
with a brush. Rinse off again and let dry. Then apply polish.

--
JK Sinrod NY
Sinrod Stained Glass

Old November 27th 03, 08:38 AM
Adrian

Hi JK

2 possibilities. You need fresh chemicals and/or the detergent you are
using is leaving a film, thus sabotaging your efforts. Here's what I do with
good results.
Use mild water soluable flux. Rinse off with hot plain soapy water ONLY.
Let air dry, (cloth will also leave a film), then apply patina liberally
with a brush. Rinse off again and let dry. Then apply polish.

Thanks for that.
The chemicals are 3 years old - so that may be the problem.
Going shopping today to our nearest town with a stained-glass supplies
shop - so we'll see if new chemicals solves the problem....

I did try again last night - but the areas on the piece that refused
to take the patina _still_ refuse the patina - after re-washing and
abrading. When using a q-tip tp apply the patina the q-tip goes black
- odd!

Thanks for the reply - we'll try with fresh chemicals

Regards
Adrian
Sufolk UK

Old November 28th 03, 11:48 PM
Adrian

HI All

Thanks for the advice, everybody.

Had a try with the original patina, but using 000 wire-wool to prepare
the surface before patination - and it's worked perfectly!

Success - many thanks

Adrian
Suffolk UK

Old May 3rd 10, 11:54 PM
Nancy W. Nancy W. is offline
Junior Member

Wink

Visit this tutorial page. It is the best I have found
http://www.freepatternsforstainedglass.com/patina.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian View Post