Face Mask From Clay

Old April 17th 04, 05:15 PM
Katherine Dewey

Felt soaked in fabric stiffener, pressed over positive, anchored around edges
with rubber band, negative silicone pressed over felt. It's in the mask
workbook.

Katherine

dawn wrote:

Hi Katherine, if you don't mind a couple more questions, are you putting the
felt in the negative, putting the positive over that to press it in? Is the
felt just wet with water or are you using something else? This is regular,
buy it in Walmart, felt?

--
Dawn Stubitsch
(Home Page) http://www.thumbprintkids.com
"Katherine Dewey" wrote in message
I made a negative of the polymer clay face out of silicone putty. It's

not
exactly a mold, but a partial mold of the area around and including the

eyes,
nose and mouth. This and a large rubber band hold the felt in place. The

felt
takes a day or more to dry. In the oven, it takes less time.

Katherine

dawn wrote:

Katherine, I was curious as to what exactly is used for a felt mold. I'm
assuming felt but I was wondering what type and what the process is.
Sounds interesting.
Dawn Stubitsch
(Home Page) http://www.thumbprintkids.com
(Questions?) http://www.thumbprintkids.com/pages/questions.htm
(Prices & Forms) http://www.thumbprintkids.com/pages/caketoppers.html
(Photo Guidelines)

http://www.thumbprintkids.com/pages/...0guidlines.htm
"Katherine Dewey" wrote in message
Just shellac, not varnish, but true shellac. Far easier is to use
alginate. FX supply houses carry it in bulk
and it's cheaper than dental alginate. It sets up quickly, doesn't

heat
up the way plaster does and is more
comfortable during the mold process.
For my masks, I use a sculpted face made of polymer clay as my

positive
and mold a felt armature over that.
I'd like to create a silicone positive and use polymer/epoxy laminates

for
masks in the future when I have the
time.

Katherine Dewey
http://www.elvenwork.com

Varda Levram-Ellisman wrote:

This is very interesting Kathrine, I only reinforced the negative

from
the outside and then made the positive from polymer clay, baked it
removed the clay from the plaster. However, then there was a lot of
work to sand the positive down to make it smooth due to the texture

of
the plaster fabric. What kind of shellac do you use (or is there

only
one kind)?
Varda

Katherine Dewey wrote in message
An added note:
There are deep undercuts around the nose, mouth and brows. If you

use
your original face mold to make
plaster positive, you'll end up destroying the original face mold

remove it. The process is called
Waste Mold, because the mold is destroyed. You can use the plaster
positive to create a flexible latex or
silicone mold.

Katherine Dewey wrote:

Once you've made a mold with this plaster, add more plaster for
strength. Coat the inside with shellac
and then, after 24 hours, treat with mold release -- Vaseline
thinned with naptha and fill with liquid
plaster (hydrocal or potters plaster) to make a positive form

for
building a mask of polymer clay.

Katherine Dewey
http://www.elvenwork.com

Varda Levram-Ellisman wrote:

Hi Sandi
I used the medical casting plaster. It dries very fast and if

you
put
some face cream before applying the cast it does not leave any
residues on the skin. You cut the bandage-like role into
rectangles
(~2"wide) and follow the instructions (wet in warm water and

apply
one
piece at a time). It is fun and an interesting trusting
experience.
Varda

(Sandi) wrote in message
. com...
I would like to make a mask of my husband's face, but I do

not
want to
use plaster. Is there a clay product that will allow me to

make
sturdy impression of his face?

Thanks!

Sandi

Old April 18th 04, 04:37 AM
dawn

Thanks!

(Sandi) wrote in message
. com...
I would like to make a mask of my husband's face, but I

do
not
want to
use plaster. Is there a clay product that will allow me

make
sturdy impression of his face?

Thanks!

Sandi

Poly Clay/ wicked Candace Stephanie Beads 49 September 12th 04 03:07 AM
Kato clay... Louise Polymer Clay 4 November 19th 03 12:37 AM
Sculpey Eraser Clay - one year later Irwin Polymer Clay 3 October 21st 03 09:06 PM
Modeling clay as a substitute for "clay bars" for auto detailing? Jon Noring Polymer Clay 4 September 23rd 03 12:36 AM
AD: Polymer clay face cabs, art doll goodies Mary Tafoya Beads 0 August 12th 03 04:14 PM