Somewhat OFF TOPIC--------regarding spam to the group

Old July 31st 08, 05:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati C.

Default Somewhat OFF TOPIC--------regarding spam to the group

DH just asked me a question that I answered but since it concerns the
group thought I would post and see what everyone/anyone else has to say.
VBG

How much spam does RCTQ get? I know that we occasionally get some but I
don't see much. Perhaps because I have blocked some senders when they do
send spam. How about the rest of you?

Pati, in Phx
Old July 31st 08, 06:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debbi in SO CA

No where near as much as I get on some other groups. Unfortunately,
after my computer crashed and I reinstalled Thunderbird, I lost the
ability to mark the spam "Ignore Thread" which was a neat item as
anything I marked would no longer show up at all when I reopened the
newsgroup.

Debbi in SO CA

Old July 31st 08, 06:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Karen, Queen of Squishies

I don't get much. I too block the sender every time something shows up.

Karen, Queen of Squishies

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Outside, every day, no matter what.

Old July 31st 08, 06:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

I would say we don't get much at all. 6-12 a month?? Not very much. Knock
on wood... could we attract some simply by talking about it??

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi

Old July 31st 08, 06:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

I don't mean we WANT to!

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi

Old July 31st 08, 07:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

I read thru individual.net (the so-called German server) and Outlook
Express- I think that's how to describe it???- and I see maybe 1 or 2 a
month. It's certainly not enough to bother me.

Leslie & The Furbabies in HOT, HOT MO.

"KJ" wrote in message
I don't mean we WANT to!

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi

Old July 31st 08, 07:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
allisonh

What version of Thunderbird do you have? I have version 2.0.0.16 which
has that function...maybe I won't be too quick to update it .
Allison

Old July 31st 08, 09:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati C.

Debi, I use Thunderbird and can put addresses in a block sender list.
Never see the messages that way either. It is interesting that
occasionally someone will spam us, or try to incite a flame war, and if
it isn't pretty much ignored, it sometimes starts an interesting
discussion within the group here. BG

Pati, in Phx

Old July 31st 08, 09:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN[_5_]

But don't look for a "block sender" option in Thunderbird. It's called
"message filters." If you see a message from a sender you want to block,
click the "Message" menu, select the "Create filter from message".
You'll get a prompt for what to filter on and what to do with the
message. I specify to Delete the message and I don't see messages from
that sender again. There is a filter log; you can check it periodically
to see if your filters are doing anything. A lot of the junk we see is
one-time stuff, so I usually don't set up a filter until I see two
messages from the same sender. There have been times when a sender
varies his e-mail address enough so that it doesn't do any good to block
the sender, but sometimes they use the same string in either the address
or the subject; then it's useful to put the repeated string in a filter
and specify "contains" instead of "is"

Julia in MN

-----------
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old August 1st 08, 08:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Michelle C[_3_]

Not as bad as other groups I've visited. I've looked in on some
non-quilting related newsgroups (a variety) and some of them have been
completely taken over by spammers.
--
Michelle in NV
http://community.webshots.com/user/desert_quilter