Adding button holes and buttons to RTW

Old September 1st 06, 09:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Tricia

Default Adding button holes and buttons to RTW

Hi!

I usually lurk here and frequent the quilting group but I got a
question that fits more into the sewing side of things

I have a top (purchased, ready to wear) that I recently wore to a job
interview. I was just barely this side of comfortable with where the
buttons began and it has been nicely suggested to me that the top would
look more professional and appropriate for work if it buttoned higher.
Being "blessed" in that area, I'm not totally surprised at the
suggestion. I'm sure you have already heard many times over how
finding RTW that fits appropriately for one with my body type is
difficult so I won't go into that. I just want to know how to fix it!

A picture of the top (actually the whole interview outfit) can be seen
at
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/chirpa...nm=5f9dre2.jpg

Is it difficult to add buttons and such to ready to wear tops like
this? What process would you suggest I use to do so (or shouldn't I)?

Oh, and someone else has suggested to me that shoulder pads would help
take up slack created by my sloping shoulders -- I haven't a clue how
to put them in but wondered if pinning them to my undergarment straps
would have the same improvement effect. Any ideas?

TIA,
Tricia

Old September 1st 06, 10:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Betty Vereen Hill

"Tricia" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I'm not a sewing guru like so many of the regulars in this group are, but I
do have a "generous" bust. Once I saw the photo of your interview clothing,
I felt compelled to share my opinion with you. There is nothing, absolutely
nothing, about your blouse that even hints that more buttons would be
advisable. The blouse appears to fit you quite well, and since there is no
cleavage showing, I can't imagine why anyone would advise you that the
blouse should be buttoned higher. To conceal what, for heavens sake, maybe
your throat? Aside from the fact that the blouse fits you nicely, it would
be a total waste of effort and expense to attempt to add buttons and
buttonholes to the blouse, as to do so would very likely distort the
appearance and fit of the blouse to the extent that you would no longer wear
it. The old saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", most certainly
applies here.

Betty in Georgia

Old September 1st 06, 10:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Kate Dicey

Betty Vereen Hill wrote:

"Tricia" wrote in message
[...]

I have to agree with Betty. However, a front on view doesn't reveal
'gaposis' between the buttons - which can happen if there are an
inadequate number of buttons or they are wrongly placed, even if the top
fits well.

Rather than adding buttons, you might like to consider adding an
invisible (as in light weight clear plastic) snap in between any
offending buttons to hold the gap closed. Don't try to close up the
neck any mo you'll just drag the fabric across your upper chest,
distorting the hang of the garment and you'll end up looking like a bag
lady!

Just *who* suggested it needed to be higher at the neck? Were they
trying to protect you from vampires, or just jealous of your great skin
and neat attire?

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old September 2nd 06, 03:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Kay Lancaster

On 1 Sep 2006 13:59:58 -0700, Tricia wrote:
A picture of the top (actually the whole interview outfit) can be seen
at
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/chirpa...nm=5f9dre2.jpg

Is it difficult to add buttons and such to ready to wear tops like
this? What process would you suggest I use to do so (or shouldn't I)?

The picture doesn't show the sorts of things that would inspire me to
add more buttons in between, nor does the V neckline look inappropriately
low for most jobs -- but in a very conservative community, a higher neckline
might "sell" better. But don't attempt to close the neckline on this
shirt farther up -- it'll cause all sorts of funniness and the shirt will
hang very oddly. (As an aside: about 30% of the women in my little
rural community wear modern modifications of 16th century Russian
dress... now that's conservative!)

Oh, and someone else has suggested to me that shoulder pads would help
take up slack created by my sloping shoulders -- I haven't a clue how
to put them in but wondered if pinning them to my undergarment straps
would have the same improvement effect. Any ideas?

Well, you can certainly try some shoulderpads in the shirt... beware of
starting to look like the you're trying out for the football team.
A quick way to get a rough idea of how much shoulderpad you can use
is to grab some facial tissues that come piled up together... Scotties
is one such brand. Fold a stack about 3/8 of the long distance,
and stuff the stack into your shirt, folded edge toward the sleeve.
What you're looking for is sag lines at the shoulder to disappear.
My guess from the photo is that anything much more than about 1/4" -
3/8" is going to be too much. Watch that the neckline doesn't start
to lift! Then when you're happy, you can make or buy an appropriate
pad and cover it with lining fabric in a color that matches your skin
tone. I find it easier to sew the pads into the shirt... just a couple
of loose tacking stitches at the shoulder seamline toward your neck,
and another couple at the sleeve seamline.

Kay

Old September 2nd 06, 04:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Doreen

Tricia,

I agree with Betty and Kate. The blouse looks very nice on you and the
neckline isn't at all immodest.

As far as shoulder pads, back in my 9 to 5 days I had a pair purchased
in the lingerie department of a nice store...each one had a velcro loop
on the underside, which enclosed your bra and slip straps. They stayed
in place very well and were convenient for any dress or top that needed
shoulder pads but didn't have them attached. Another thing I liked
about them, besides the fact they were rather thin, is that the shoulder
edge was a little cupped, which gave a rounded, natural contour. I
don't know if these are still available, but might be worth looking.

Doreen in Alabama
Old September 2nd 06, 04:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
steve

Sorry ladies, but here comes a rant from a guy.

Who is the boob, no pun intended, that suggested that you button up your
blouse further? It is a heck of a lot further up, and no morass of straps
showing, than many of my high school students wear, and they get interviews
and jobs all the time. Who are they trying to kid, whoever they is(are)?
Anyways, your blouse is just fine. No cleavage is showing, it is slightly
tailored at the waist, is practical to work in, compliments your slacks, and
is not some flashy wild design or color. I would not try to do shoulder
pads, in my opinion. They would cause your blouse to slide around over the
top of them and trying to attach them to your undergarment straps is
inviting a disaster of them coming loose and/or you worrying about them and
fidgeting and trying to adjust them. You don't need one more thing to be
nervous about in an interview.

So, you are probably wondering where I get these opinions from. Two
sources. The first is my mom who is a very accomplished sewer, quilter and
home ec teacher by trade. There is not much that we have not talked about,
including shoulder pads and the like. Secondly, I'm a business teacher and
an advisor in the Career Technical Student Organization known as Business
Professionals of America. The other two teachers I work closely with would
agree with me. We have often made many a young lady change her blouse
before competition from something that was many, many inches lower. We have
also seen the hazards of shoulder pads in action as they stand outside their
competition room adjusting at the last minute. I have had students dressed
as you win their competitions hands down because they know themselves, know
they are good, are confident in themselves, walk in with their head held
high, and conduct themselves professionally. Isn't that what employers
want? At least I hope so and what I teach my students.

What else would I tell my students? Your glasses are stylish but not
overbearing. Your foray to Merle Norman was fine. (I mostly visit the
quilt site myself). A little bit of color and emphasis but not overdone.

Tricia, look in the mirror and tell yourself, "I'm just fine and I'll get
the job that I am supposed to have." I have been where you are, and not
been hired for many jobs. My reasons are because I am a "petite" man, not
interested in all things "sports" so I have no coaching experience, and have
often been told that I am not "manly" enough. I've perseverd, like I know
you can, and after many, many interviews, finally landed a job which has
been a great fit. You will too.

And to directly address your question, I don't think that the top could have
a button added. With the angle of the collar, it would look "fixed".
Again, just my opinion. I don't mean to step on any toes or butt in where I
shouldn't.

Steve

Old September 2nd 06, 04:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
[email protected]

Tricia wrote:
[...]

---
Hmm...have to agree with all the assessments, the blouse looks fine.
The advice you received may have to do with the 'bend-over' factor,
wherein one shows a bit too much bra and bust when one bends over a
work associates' desk. To test for this, just bend over in front of a
mirror.
One remedy I've found for that is to make a neckline insert, --like a
dickey--(shaped like a big open smile), and attatch it under the
neckline with a couple of small snaps.
Years ago, I made one client a whole wardrobe of such inserts. I
used dressy, good-quality polyester and silks, basically scraps, which
I stockpile. Construction parts= front piece, back piece, and
interfacing. Make insert, wrong sides together, leave a small space
unstitched for turning. Turn right side out, press, slipstitch opening
closed, add snaps, one at each side, add snap parts to blouse, under
front neckline.
Test bendover, see if snaps are needed at bottom of insert, center
front, along blouse opening.
For making the insert, a small print which picks up the pink would
be pretty, and something with white lace across the top, and maybe a
black insert to co-ordinate with black slacks---you get the drift.
Cea

Old September 2nd 06, 08:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
BEI Design

Doreen wrote:

As far as shoulder pads, back in my 9 to 5 days I had a
pair purchased in the lingerie department of a nice
store...each one had a velcro loop on the underside,
which enclosed your bra and slip straps. They stayed in
place very well and were convenient for any dress or top
that needed shoulder pads but didn't have them attached.
Another thing I liked about them, besides the fact they
were rather thin, is that the shoulder edge was a little
cupped, which gave a rounded, natural contour. I don't
know if these are still available, but might be worth
looking.

I have some, too, and I really like them for certain RTW. I
found:

http://www.shoulderpads.com/scart/st...namicIndex.asp

http://www.laurensilva.com/Kathleen_...kirk-5710x.htm

Beverly

Old September 2nd 06, 10:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Kate Dicey

steve wrote:

[...]

Steve, you said it all exactly right!

It's good to have our opinions confirmed by someone from the other side
of the interview, as it were.

Tricia, Best of Luck in this venture.

Old September 2nd 06, 02:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Tricia

Thank you one and all! ~

Okay! I will basically leave this particular top alone. The
dickie/midi suggestions (and how to directions!!!!) were particularly
good as many of my tops tend to suffer from the bending over issue and
usually make me so self conscious. I will see if I can find the pads
that velco hook to the bra straps -- I cannot see myself sewing pads
into all my tops that would need them, esp if I then decide to wear
said top under a blazer that already has pads of its own -- then I
would really look like I was trying out for the football team.

The person who mentioned the higher button -- it is possible I
misunderstood what the friendly poster in the other group was trying to
say. After hearing now from all the garment makers (don't wanna say
seamstress and offend the guys out there -- Hi Steve, no toes stepped
on! I appreciated reading your post.), I have to figure what was being
suggested was a *different* top that buttoned higher would have
appeared *more* professional than that lovely rose one.

Thank you very much!
Tricia

OT Update re; Fixing Tricia Tricia Quilting 22 September 3rd 06 05:46 PM
Button Holes Jack Schmidling Sewing 5 April 29th 06 03:27 AM
Worm Holes Jack Schmidling Jewelry 2 September 8th 04 02:23 AM
OT (sort of) Shank remover thingie anne Needlework 19 April 16th 04 03:17 PM