Big board and portable pressing board questions

Old May 1st 05, 08:05 PM
Charlotte Hippen

Default Big board and portable pressing board questions

I would like to make my own portable pressing board, but need some help.
For those who have done this, how did you do it? I was originally thing
about taking some thin plywood and covering it with batting and then fabric.
Then I got to thinking about the heat from the iron. Do I need to put a
special heat resistant layer in there or will just regular batting be fine
for minimal use?

I am also going to make a big board for my regular ironing board too. Do
they need a heat barrier to protect the plywood?

TIA!!
--
Charlotte
http://community.webshots.com/user/charh108

Old May 1st 05, 09:30 PM
Linda Sweigart

Many ironing board covers are just made of sturdy weight cotton. However,
you can buy that silvery fabric that's heat resistant also. JoAnn's used to
have it (or at least the one I once worked at did) but I don't know if all
locations carry it. I'd be inclined to add extra padding under it.

Linda

Old May 2nd 05, 12:41 AM
chris

"Charlotte Hippen" wrote in message
I would like to make my own portable pressing board, but need some help.
For those who have done this, how did you do it? I was originally thing
about taking some thin plywood and covering it with batting and then

fabric.
Then I got to thinking about the heat from the iron. Do I need to put a
special heat resistant layer in there or will just regular batting be fine
for minimal use?

I am also going to make a big board for my regular ironing board too. Do
they need a heat barrier to protect the plywood?

TIA!!
--
Charlotte
http://community.webshots.com/user/charh108

Charlotte,
I used an old woollen blanket (several layers) for mine. I cut the blanket
to size, covered it in calico and stapled that to the back of the plywood.
It was a spur of the moment thing that is still serving the purpose
beautifully quite a few years (and several covers) later.

chris

:-)

Old May 2nd 05, 04:38 AM
Polly Esther

Well, here I am again trying to explain something I don't know enough about
to explain, but here goes. Plywood, as I understand it, is wood plus glue
and assorted other chemicals. I hope I didn't overwhelm you with my
technical definition. I have a leftover, lovely piece of pecan wood that I
use for pressing. It's not sappy or treated with unknown stuff. Somehow, you
will want something between the wood and your pressing surface if you use
plywood for a base. Please let us know how your adventure goes. Polly

Old May 2nd 05, 09:51 PM
Charlotte Hippen

Thanks Linda. Just adding extra would be a lot more cost effective. Seams
to me when I saw that fabric in a catalog is was not cheap!!

Old May 2nd 05, 10:02 PM
Charlotte Hippen

Thanks Polly! Your technical definitions it about as technical as mine!
I'll let ya know what I turn out! I'm hoping DH can make some legs for it
so DH can keep the regular board for his work shirts. We'll see if he's
able to come up with some.

--
Charlotte
http://community.webshots.com/user/charh108