OT Ebay (Spam or scam)

Old February 2nd 04, 06:46 PM
Denise G.

Default OT Ebay (Spam or scam)

I have purchased a couple of things on Ebay in the past. I just
received a very official looking e-mail from them asking me to renew my
information, or be removed from their membership list.

Here's some of the things they asked:
Name, address, credit card number, pin number for my debit card, my
mother's maiden name, my social security number, etc.

I can just imagine how many people will actually give out this
information to what are obviously identity thieves.

Please don't respond to them if you receive a similar request. I know I
didn't have to give them this sort of information to buy from them.

Denise in NH

Old February 2nd 04, 07:34 PM
Kathy Applebaum

You should forward requests like this to They are very
interested in prosecuting this crooks.

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
longarm machine quilting, Queen of Fabric Tramps

Old February 3rd 04, 01:16 AM
Denise G.

I knew it was a scam, I just wanted to post the info in case someone
else got the same thing. I sent it to

Denise in NH

Old February 3rd 04, 02:39 AM
Leslie in Missouri

After forwarding the email to eBay, I have fun filling in the blanks
with things like "areyouNUTZ" or "getalife" or "yousillyfool" and
submitting it to the crooks who sent it to me. That way I can have some
fun instead of being annoyed that they think I'm *that* blonde!!!

Leslie (a blonde with brown genes)

Old February 3rd 04, 03:33 AM
kjbs

They did this to me a couple of months ago. What is so
stupid about this is that when you sign up for eBay you
don't have to give them a credit card number for anything
anyway--you don't buy from them but from a separate seller.
I wonder just how many people would respond to this--it's
scary.

No one should ever give out a pin number for one thing. Not
even at your bank. They don't even know it--that's why when
you get a new pin number for a credit card they send the
number and the card separately.

I feel very sorry for those easily freaked out people who
think "oh no, I need to send them this" and then end up
getting their identity stolen and their credit rating really
messed up. Grrrrrrr. This is one of my major pet peeves
about the internet... besides spam.

Kelly
Beaverton, Oregon

Old February 3rd 04, 03:45 AM
Diana Curtis

Please dont get upset at the internet. Its not the internets fault creeps
are exploiting gullible people. That deplorable practice has been going on
since time began. Its sad. At least now we can spread information almost as
fast as the misinformation. A few people will be spared the trauma of having
their identity stolen.
Diana

--
Queen of FAQs
Royal Peace Maker

Old February 3rd 04, 12:08 PM
Julia in MN

I had a similar e-mail that seemed to be from paypal today asking me to
confirm my information. Since I have never used paypal, I assume this is
a hoax.

Julia in MN

http://mail.chartermi.net/~jaccola/

New Ebay rates!! Ouch!! Jim Moore Beads 208 January 23rd 05 09:20 AM
ebay "buyer" scam? Sjpolyclay Beads 27 December 29th 04 02:25 PM
Your recent report to eBay's Trust and Safety Department . Marissa Vignali Quilting 0 October 27th 03 07:39 PM
OT Fraudulent SPAM *not* from eBay The HairyFacedOnes 'N Me Quilting 1 October 21st 03 07:18 PM
Ebay spam warning Karen Novakoski Quilting 4 October 3rd 03 04:46 PM