On topic - favourite psalm

Old January 25th 09, 11:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
MargW

Default On topic - favourite psalm

I've been thinking of doing a piece for church and for our Minister. I
could do the 23rd psalm, but would like to do something different,
especially since I am going to try designing it myself.

It has to be one of the shorter psalms since I don't want it to be too
enormous. I love Psalm 121 (I will life up mine eyes unto the
hills),Psalm 100 (Make a joyful noise unto the Lord, all ye lands) or
Psalm 134 which would be appropriate for a sanctuary.

Of course, if I really wanted to keep it short I can do Psalm 117 (all
two verses of it)

Alternately, I could do just a few verses from one of the longer psalms.

I also love Isaiah 40, and could do the last verse, "They that wait upon
the Lord shall renew their strength"

Any thoughts about what you'd do? Also which is your favourite
translation? King James is sonorous, but I think I might use the
Revised Standard Version with its slightly more modern language. I
think the New Jerusalem Bible is a little too modern for what I want to do.

I'm thinking a nice cream linen with Gentle Arts sampler threads, and
the verse placed somewhat irregularly in the space surrounded by various
biblical motifs used in the crest of the United Church of Canada (the
burning bush, the dove descending, alpha and omega etc.)
http://www.united-church.ca/history/crest

MargW
Old January 25th 09, 11:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Bruce Fletcher (remove dentures to reply)

MargW wrote:
[...]

Psalm 150 is your best bet - and avoid Psalm 119 like the plague!
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney UK
Old January 25th 09, 11:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Mary

If you would like to do something with few words and opportunity for
some lovely art, take a look at Psalm 150! You could just put "Psalm
150" in the center with very ornate lettering, and then add the
instruments -- lute, harp, cymbals, trumpets, and flute. Putting very
long "herald" trumpets would make a lovely border. You can surely
find pictures of all of the instruments, and will need to decide
whether to use ancient, traditional, or modern versions. Personally,
I would choose a Renaissance lute, an Irish harp, plain cymbals,
herald trumpets, and the "pan pipe" style of flute. I think you could
do something simply spectacular!
Old January 26th 09, 01:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
F.James Cripwell

MargW ) writes:
[...]

(Tongue in cheek). How about some of the lines from the Song of Solomon. Jim.
Old January 26th 09, 02:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

On Jan 25, 8:25*pm, (F.James Cripwell)
wrote:
MargW ) writes:
[...]

You'll be shocked to know that I was going to suggest some verses only
to realize that they were from the Song of Solomon and not Psalms.
*grin*

Elizabeth
Old January 26th 09, 02:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lucille

wrote:
MargW ) writes:
[...]

Why shocked?? Those are possibly the only ones a lot of people know.

Old January 26th 09, 02:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
MargW

Bruce Fletcher (remove dentures to reply) wrote:
MargW wrote:
[...]

150 is a lovely suggestion, I could illustrate it with all sorts of
instruments. You're not kidding about 119 - I would be stitching from
now till 2020.

MargW
Old January 26th 09, 02:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
MargW

F.James Cripwell wrote:
MargW ) writes:
[...]

Oh, now I think that would be right up your alley, Jim. Maybe with one
of your luscious nudes!

"Comfort me with apples", indeed.

MargW
Old January 26th 09, 07:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Trish Brown

MargW wrote:
[...]

How about Psalm 42: 'Like the deer that yearns for running streams, so
my soul yearns for you, My God'.

Or, the Beatitudes? 'Blessed are the poor in spirit for theirs is the
kingdom of heaven' etc.

Or Proverbs 9:1 'Wisdom has built herself a house, she has hewn our her
seven pillars from stone'.

--
Trish Brown {|:-}

Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old January 26th 09, 07:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

On Jan 26, 3:25*am, (F.James Cripwell)
wrote:
MargW ) writes:
[...]

(Tongue in cheek). How about some of the lines from the Song of Solomon. *Jim.- Hide quoted text -

Shier HaShiriem = the Song of Songs is my favourite book in the
Tanach ,,
i can sing all of it .
mirjam

Block of the Month - Psalm Sampler KI Graham Quilting 0 July 16th 05 03:21 AM
Favourite LaceWeight? Noreen's Knit*che Yarn 4 July 5th 05 09:36 PM
Psalm block posted for May KI Graham Quilting 0 May 16th 05 04:25 PM
Your Favourite Quilt Flossy Quilting 10 April 11th 04 09:09 AM
What is your favourite UFO...and why isn't it finished??? georg Quilting 30 August 10th 03 06:45 AM