Early needlework

Old October 30th 06, 05:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
AK&DStrohl

Default Early needlework

Does anyone know what books I can buy or reference for late medieval or
early renaissance needlework? Of the German/Swiss/Flemish persuasion.
Thanks,
AK in PA

Old October 30th 06, 06:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 10/30/06 12:55 PM, in article ,
"AK&DStrohl" wrote:

Does anyone know what books I can buy or reference for late medieval or
early renaissance needlework? Of the German/Swiss/Flemish persuasion.
Thanks,
AK in PA

Have you checked Ruth Kern's site? I love browsing there

http://www.ruthkernbooks.com/needlenewsinfo.htm

Hey - where are our SCA members? They'll have lots of info

Cheryl

Old October 30th 06, 09:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Anne M

One suggestion but not sure if this is what you want. I have Medieval
Cross Stitch Samplers by Angela Wainwright (1996) in my book collection. She
uses Medieval designs to create her samplers. --

Old October 30th 06, 09:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 10/30/06 2:16 PM, "Cheryl Isaak" wrote:

On 10/30/06 12:55 PM, in article ,
"AK&DStrohl" wrote:

Does anyone know what books I can buy or reference for late medieval or
early renaissance needlework? Of the German/Swiss/Flemish persuasion.
Thanks,
AK in PA

Have you checked Ruth Kern's site? I love browsing there

http://www.ruthkernbooks.com/needlenewsinfo.htm

Hey - where are our SCA members? They'll have lots of info

Cheryl

She's a great resource. Although, I could only get the New items catalog to
come up. There's a book called the Embroiderer's Tale, IIRC - which has a
lot of info on the history of needlework. You could also try looking at
Antique Needlework Magazine - their archives. There are lots of references
out there - but are you looking for copy patterns, or just information?
There are a lot of references on samplers from different eras and locations.

ellice

Old October 30th 06, 10:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
AK&DStrohl

Does anyone know what books I can buy or reference for late medieval or
early renaissance needlework? Of the German/Swiss/Flemish persuasion.
AK in PA

http://www.ruthkernbooks.com/needlenewsinfo.htm
Hey - where are our SCA members? They'll have lots of info
Cheryl

There's a book called the Embroiderer's Tale, IIRC - which has a
lot of info on the history of needlework. You could also try looking at
Antique Needlework Magazine - their archives. There are lots of
references
out there - but are you looking for copy patterns, or just information?
There are a lot of references on samplers from different eras and
locations.
ellice

Thanks all for these references.
Maybe I need to clarify though.

I'm looking to start any type, at this point, of needlework that preferably
has it's roots in 1450-1600 Geman, Swiss or Flemish designs.
The roots of my heritage.
I'll decide after I get a look at different types of work which I want to
start first or I may decide not to tackle a particular type at all.

Now, I'm going to ask a question which will expose my lack of depth of
knowledge about the internet. What is IIRC?

Thanks for your help,
AK in PA

Old October 30th 06, 10:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 10/30/06 6:24 PM, "AK&DStrohl" wrote:

[...]

Well, that explains some . You might want to check your local library and
see what books they may have for reference so you can look at different
types. Dianne L. is a good source for a lot of different types of
needlework information (the only person I know who does Schwalm). Also -
you could look at the web sites for the Embroiderers Guild of America, the
Sampler Guild, the Historical Needlewok group, and see what they have.

Also - there is a Textile Museum in Washington, DC (which Donna & I are
supposed to go visit soon). Here is a link to a google search on textile
museums - there are many, and some of them will have things you can see that
will help you research your interest.

Some of these are similar types of stitching, but the designs will differ.
There are also types of needlework which are more complicated, or more
difficult to learn. Enjoy your research.

Now, I'm going to ask a question which will expose my lack of depth of
knowledge about the internet. What is IIRC?

IIRC = If I Recall Correctly
AFAIK = As Far As I Know
IMHO = In My Humble Opinion

Thanks for your help,
AK in PA

Have fun,
ellice

Old October 30th 06, 11:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dianne Lewandowski

AK&DStrohl wrote:
I'm looking to start any type, at this point, of needlework that preferably
has it's roots in 1450-1600 Geman, Swiss or Flemish designs.
The roots of my heritage.
I'll decide after I get a look at different types of work which I want to
start first or I may decide not to tackle a particular type at all.

Now, I'm going to ask a question which will expose my lack of depth of
knowledge about the internet. What is IIRC?

Thanks for your help,
AK in PA

I have a book on textiles and embroideries but it only covers French and
English from 1600 to 1800. There is a huge difference in the
complexities of the embroideries as time passed. Nonetheless, this
doesn't help you.

Schwalm, a German embroidery from the Hesse region, is only about 300
years old. That wouldn't help you at all.

I think if you do a Google search such as "German embroidery 1500" you
might find some answers to your query. Be prepared to be frustrated.

You might also try contacting one of the Skinner Sisters - who
specialize in period pieces from different parts of the world - at
http://www.skinnersisters.com

Dianne

--
Embroidery Discussions at http://www.heritageshoppe.com/forum
Old October 31st 06, 04:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Bruce

AK&DStrohl wrote:
I'm looking to start any type, at this point, of needlework that preferably
has it's roots in 1450-1600 Geman, Swiss or Flemish designs.

Have you tried
http://www.advancenet.net/jscole/wymarc.html
http://medieval.webcon.net.au/period_14th_c.html
http://medieval.webcon.net.au/loc_germany.html
http://www.larsdatter.com/kloster.htm
(most have references to documents or to online sources)
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney

Old October 31st 06, 03:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Susan Hartman

AK&DStrohl wrote:

I'm looking to start any type, at this point, of needlework that preferably
has it's roots in 1450-1600 Geman, Swiss or Flemish designs.
The roots of my heritage.
I'll decide after I get a look at different types of work which I want to
start first or I may decide not to tackle a particular type at all.

Check out http://www.theessamplaire.com/

(and nobody drool on the keyboard, now!!!)

Sue

Susan Hartman/Dirty Linen
The Magazine of Folk and World Music
http://www.dirtylinen.com

Fretwork and needlework Felice Friese Needlework 0 October 21st 04 11:13 PM
Toronto Needlework Show - review Bob & Marg Whittleton Needlework 13 October 20th 04 02:50 AM
Needlework as Solace lula Needlework 7 June 18th 04 05:59 PM
Ellice! I got both Italian needlework classes at ANG! Jeanine3 Needlework 4 June 3rd 04 05:18 PM