Basting Spray

Old October 9th 03, 11:08 PM
Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply

Default Basting Spray

Hi Guys,
I bought myself a can of this stuff for use in making some placemats and
it's great!!! I don't know that I would use it to baste a large quilt but for
something like placemats, it's wonderful. I was going to make a regular
"sandwich" of backing, batting (using up the leftover poly junk -- ick, ack,
pthooey) and face fabric and decided that was more trouble than it was worth.
That would mean I would have to MQ this big fabric sandwich and I really don't
feel like doing that. The tops are not pieced but are whole cloth. I'm using
some wonderful woven cat fabric (big surprise, huh) that I got on sale from
Keepsake quilting about 2 years ago. It's a very nice green & cream plaid with
a narrow purple line in it and cream kitties woven into alternating green
blocks. The backing is a coordinating print of woven cat's paws in the same
colors.
Anyway, I decided I would rough cut the face fabric and then spray baste it
to the batting. Worked like a charm! That spray is really tacky (the good way
-- LOL) and holds the fabric nicely. I am now going to baste the spray basted
pieces to the backing and then machine quilt them with a lovely variegated
purple quilting thread I bought when I was in Lizard Land.
I know there has been a lot of discussion about this basting spray here and
I just thought I would add my tuppence worth to the discussion. It is one of
those products -- IMNSHO -- that has a use. It might not be the "recommended"
way to do basting but it has its place. CiaoMeow ^;;^
..
PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^
Angels can't show their wings on earth but nothing was ever said about their
WHISKERS!!
Nothing is complete without a few cat hairs!

Old October 9th 03, 11:52 PM
TerriLee in WA

Oh, what a great idea!! I have a set of placemats to do for one of my
DDs for Christmas. And I have basting spray (that I've never tried). I
may go home and just do them, as DH is in class tonight.

Oh, and while we're on the subject, (of quilting), has anyone ever used
metallic thread for, say, diagonal straight line quilting? These
placemats are telling me they need glittery thread. Sigh. I have
Metafil needles, but am wondering what to put in the bobbin? Invisible
thread, perhaps? Ideas welcomed.

.

--
TerriLee Bishop in WA (state) USA
(opinions are wholly owned by the author and don't represent anything)
Old October 10th 03, 11:52 AM
Heather Cross

I used spray to baste a QS quilt and it was no problem. As you said it was
a bit tacky - I think I might have sprayed too liberally and the needle
occasionally got gunk on it as I quilted, but if I could just find the can
of spray (I moved last Dec) I would definitely use it again
Heather in West Oz

"Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply " wrote in
message ...

Old October 10th 03, 12:39 PM
Jill Pochik

I use basting spray all the time to piece batting scraps together for
the small cat quilts I make. It works great! Haven't had any problem
with machine quilting. It fact, I need to run out and get some more.
Jill

Critter Comforts: Quilts for Homeless Animals
http://community.webtv.net/critterco...ritterComforts

Old October 10th 03, 03:33 PM
Sherry Starr

I use it all the time. I have used it several times on twin size quilts,
and did not have any problems. I have even spray basted the project, folded
it up to be finished later, then gone back to it at least 6 months later,
and it was all still together. If it starts loosening a little, just iron
it and it sticks good as new.
Sherry Starr

Old October 11th 03, 02:35 PM
Marijke

I wasn't big on the idea of basting spray until I had to do a quilt that I
had no interest in doing (long story) so I cut corners where ever I could.
One of those corners was with spraying instead of basting. Man, I'm sold
now! I just spray basted another lap sized quilt and I find it so much
easier to handle and I'm not afraid of the fabric shifting.

If it's any help to anyone, I use the 505.

Marijke
in Montreal

Old October 20th 03, 12:11 AM
Pati Cook

I am currently quilting with Sulky Sliver thread on a large wall hanging. I am
using regular thread the same color as the metallic in the bobbin.
Be a bit careful with the basting spray and be sure to clean out your machine well
after using it. If you get gunk build up on your needle, (from this or sewing
through fusible web or whatever) try taking a piece of felt and saturating it with
Sewer's Aid. Put the felt in a zip lock bag and sew through it. or just wipe the
needle with a scrap of fabric with a few drops of the Sewer's Aid on it. This will
really help keep the needle clean and help cut down on friction.

Pati, in Phx

From: TerriLee in WA

........ These
placemats are telling me they need glittery thread. Sigh. I have
Metafil needles, but am wondering what to put in the bobbin? Invisible
thread, perhaps? Ideas welcomed.

I have never *quilted* with the metallic thread but I have done a lot of
decorative sewing with it. I don't like the invisible thread in the bobbin
because it just doesn't seem to work well with the metallics -- at least on my
machine! I usually use the nylon lingerie & bobbin thread that I got from
Nancy's Notions or Clothilde. You can try the invisible and it might work just
fine for you on your machine. The other option would be to use a regular
thread that matches the color of either the back of the placemats or that is
the same color as the metallic. Let us know what you end up using -- I have
some stuff I want to quilt with a metallic!! CiaoMeow ^;;^
.
PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^
Angels can't show their wings on earth but nothing was ever said about their
WHISKERS!!
Nothing is complete without a few cat hairs!

Alternative to polyurethane spray? Tim General Crafting 2 December 30th 03 01:18 AM
Basting, basting, basting frood Quilting 14 November 14th 03 09:57 PM
Fire Retardant Fabric Spray saj Beads 0 October 3rd 03 09:44 PM
Fire Retardant Fabric Spray saj General Crafting 0 October 3rd 03 09:44 PM
Comm: Versafine and Prefect Refresher spray Debbie Hamann Rubberstamps 0 July 17th 03 05:16 PM