Bernat gray needles

Old October 11th 04, 03:48 AM
BDS2pds

Default Bernat gray needles

Does anyone still sell these knitting needles? I like the way they feel .
Old October 12th 04, 04:22 AM
Ellice

BDS2pds wrote:

Does anyone still sell these knitting needles? I like the way they feel .

I don't know, but Susan Bates has some grey kind of coated needles - I think
they're called Quick Silver. One of the women at my LKS loves them - says she
knits so fast that she breaks the wooden ones, and has gone to these as she
likes the feel of them. They did feel nice in my hand when I tried them - but
I think I ended up with the wierd milk protein ones instead. Hope that
helps.

Ellice

Old October 12th 04, 02:06 PM
BDS2pds

I believe the Bates are metal and I have trouble with those in the winter. For
some reason they cause my hands to hurt. Can't explain it; Luckily long ago I
bought a set in a case of Bernat--- just looking for extras or different pieces
they sold.
Old October 13th 04, 02:52 PM
Caryn

BDS2pds wrote:

Does anyone still sell these knitting needles? I like the way they feel .

I don't know, but Susan Bates has some grey kind of coated needles - I think
they're called Quick Silver. One of the women at my LKS loves them - says she
knits so fast that she breaks the wooden ones, and has gone to these as she
likes the feel of them. They did feel nice in my hand when I tried them - but
I think I ended up with the wierd milk protein ones instead. Hope that
helps.

Ellice

Jumping in late here...sorry...

I owned the full set of the Quick Silver knitting needles, and have been slowly
replacing them.

The cool plastic coating that makes them so quick eventually wears off at the
points, and they start catching in the fibers as you knit.

I am buying more Susan Bates, just not the plastic covered kind this time.

The one time I bought bamboo needles I got a set that splintered, so I won't be
putting anymore money into those! g

Caryn
Blue Wizard Designs
http://hometown.aol.com/crzy4xst/index.html
View WIPs at: http://community.webshots.com/user/carynlws (Caryn's UFO's)
Old October 13th 04, 03:18 PM
BDS2pds

Gosh; I guess like all things, they were made poorer until the end. These are
from 1978 and held up with vigorous use without any problem.
Old October 13th 04, 03:43 PM
JoyceG in WA

I have several pairs of Susan Bates Quicksilver needles, and I love them. They
have not worn out or become catchy at all, and they have had plenty of use. I
also have several sets of wooden/bamboo needles, and have had no significant
problems with them. I have heard other people talk about the splintering
problem, too, but haven't had that experience (thankfully) myself. To me it's
a question of how the yarn glides on the needles - sometimes the metal needles
help me move faster, other times yarn falls right off. The bamboo needles tend
to hold the yarn better.

YMMV, obviously!
-JoyceG in WA

Old October 13th 04, 05:27 PM
Caryn

Gosh; I guess like all things, they were made poorer until the end. These
are
from 1978 and held up with vigorous use without any problem

Mine are from about that time as well, gift from my grandmother in the late
70's or early 80's.

I just used the crap out of them I think, I knit constantly over the last 25
yrs. Not all lost their coating on the points, just the ones I used most, so
my size 5's-9's got replaced first.

Oh well, it's not a big deal to me to have to replace them as needed.
Important thing to me is just to have needles there when I need them! g

Caryn

Caryn
Blue Wizard Designs
http://hometown.aol.com/crzy4xst/index.html
View WIPs at: http://community.webshots.com/user/carynlws (Caryn's UFO's)

ebay: some newly listed interesting items: knitting needle lots, looms, vintage sewing needles etc marilyn safier Marketplace 0 December 6th 04 05:33 PM
any problems with needles and allergies? D.M.Evans Needlework 7 September 7th 04 02:48 AM
John James Needles Suzanne Needlework 3 July 20th 04 11:56 PM
Needles BDS2pds Needlework 3 June 5th 04 04:55 PM
Question about John James needles Debra Needlework 13 April 6th 04 08:28 AM