USA Politics.

Old February 23rd 08, 04:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joyce

Default USA Politics.

I would like to know the difference between Democrats and Republicans.
After all, USA is a democratic republic, isn't it?

I also don't get a vote, but I wouldn't want an African-American just
because he's black, or a woman just because she's a woman. Each should
stand entirely on his/her own merits.

Joyce in RSA.

Old February 23rd 08, 05:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
LizardGumbo

Joyce wrote:

After all, USA is a democratic republic, isn't it?

Actually, it's a representative republic. We vote for the
representative we feel would be the best person to speak on our behalf.

I would like to know the difference between Democrats and Republicans.

These days, not a whole lot and the definitions keep morphing. I would
say the Democrats have kept more of their focus and core identity
throughout the 20th Century than the Republicans have.

Political junkie that I am, I don't actually think I can answer that
question anymore. sigh

--
Lizard Gumbo
aka Elizabeth

http://www.effervescentdesigns.com
Blog: http://effervescentdesigns.com/effdesblog/

Pop the bubbles to reply.
Old February 23rd 08, 08:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Tia Mary

Joyce wrote:
I would like to know the difference between Democrats and Republicans.
......snipped........
Joyce in RSA.

To me, the very basic difference is that Democrats favour more
Federal Government involvement (ie: pass laws at the Federal level) and
Republicans prefer less (ie: pass laws at the state level). I'm
certainly NOT a political "junkie" -- I can never even remember how many
senators or congressmen there are -- but that wee little bit is what I
believe :-). As for anything else -- it's all up for grabs any more.
CiaoMeow ^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
their whiskers!
Visit my Photo albums at http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary
Old February 23rd 08, 08:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Debbie Rice

I believe the official websites with party platforms a
http://gop.org/ and http://www.democrats.org/a/party/stand.html; in American
politics it's usually a little more than just the two parties--you'll also
hear stuff like "liberal" "conservative" "right" "left" etc. I say that
knowing full well that the majority of my friends with political opinions
are staunchly, fanatically either Democrat or Republican regardless of
issues or voting records and say they just vote for the entire party when
they are in the voting booth.

It is becoming more common for our politicians to switch parties during
their careers (particularly if a party's stance on issues key to the
politician change). Not as common for voters to switch parties.

Network news channels and individual candidate websites will probably
explain more about party/candidate platforms/issues, voting records, etc.
than the official "party line" sites.

I don't remember which party evolved from which but once upon a time in
history one of them was the "whig" party (I have some vague recollection of
something with founding fathers Adams, Jefferson, etc. in a social studies
class).

I would like to know the difference between Democrats and Republicans.

Old February 23rd 08, 08:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
'Nez

On Feb 23, 12:09�pm, LizardGumbo
wrote:
Joyce wrote:
After all, USA is a democratic republic, isn't it?

Actually, it's a representative republic. �We vote for the
representative we feel would be the best person to speak on our behalf.

I would like to know the difference between Democrats and Republicans.

These days, not a whole lot and the definitions keep morphing. �I would
say the Democrats have kept more of their focus and core identity
throughout the 20th Century than the Republicans have.

Political junkie that I am, I don't actually think I can answer that
question anymore. �sigh

--
Lizard Gumbo
aka Elizabeth

http://www.effervescentdesigns.com
Blog: �http://effervescentdesigns.com/effdesblog/

Pop the bubbles to reply.

Actually it's more a matter of voting for the least of 2 evils.
Frances
Old February 23rd 08, 08:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Mary

2 Senators for each State, and number of Representatives based on
population. Current total for Senate is 100 members. House of
Representatives is 435 members (formula changed since US Constitution
originally adopted). District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and US Virgin
Islands are NOT states and thus not represented in Congress as are the
states, but in fact governed by Congress. DC is actually a district
made up of parcels of land from two States, and not eligible to attain
statehood unless both states cede the land (which they have repeatedly
said they will NOT do), and Congress passes appropriate bills for
statehood (unlikely at best). Puerto Rico has, I understand, declined
entering process to acquire statehood several times, its citizens
apparently pleased with the current system of governance. USVI --
don't know.
Old February 23rd 08, 08:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
LizardGumbo

'Nez wrote:

Actually it's more a matter of voting for the least of 2 evils.

Oh, good show. That is, in fact, the truth right there.

Old February 23rd 08, 09:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Bruce Fletcher (Stronsay, Orkney)

LizardGumbo wrote:
'Nez wrote:

Actually it's more a matter of voting for the least of 2 evils.

Oh, good show. That is, in fact, the truth right there.

Indeed - someone once described the BBC as the "least worst television
in the world". I stopped watching the Idiot's Lantern ages ago, BBC
Radio 4 is SO much better
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney
Old February 23rd 08, 11:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Trish Brown

lucretia borgia wrote:
On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 21:46:51 +0000, "Bruce Fletcher (Stronsay,
Orkney)" opined:

LizardGumbo wrote:
'Nez wrote:

Actually it's more a matter of voting for the least of 2 evils.
Oh, good show. That is, in fact, the truth right there.

Indeed - someone once described the BBC as the "least worst television
in the world". I stopped watching the Idiot's Lantern ages ago, BBC
Radio 4 is SO much better

I am really a radio person and if it isn't CBC, when I am sitting
here, I listen to BBC4. I even like strange things, like the Shipping
Forecast before God Save the Queen lol

I also love downloading podcasts and have to say Australian
Broadcasting Corp is great too. I wouldn't miss Rural Bush
Telegraph, Street Stories and Health Matters.

Oo! Oo! Check out 'The Morning Interview' with Margaret Throsby on ABC
Classic FM! She often has *phenomenally* interesting people on, drawn
from all walks of life and, often, just behind-the-scenes folk who have
unique insights into their fields. Of course, my favourite interview was
the one she did with Tony Attwood, the Grand Poobah of autism research.

That was actually quite spooky. One morning, I listened to Margaret
interviewing Jung Chang (author of 'Wild Swans'). It was so enjoyable, I
*had* to write a fan letter and at the end, I tacked on a PS suggesting
that Tony Attwood would be a great subject for interview. As I pressed
the send button, Margaret announced that 'on Monday, our guest will be
Dr Tony Attwood, pioneer into autism research'. I nearly swallowed me
tongue! Then I busily rang all my 'autistic' friends and we learned a
lot that Monday.

--
Trish {|:-} Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old February 24th 08, 12:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dr. Brat

Mary wrote:

Puerto Rico has, I understand, declined
entering process to acquire statehood several times, its citizens
apparently pleased with the current system of governance.

Nah, they're not pleased, they're just split about it. Between the ones
who like things the way they are, the ones who want to be independent of
the USA altogether, and the ones who want to become a state, they can't
get enough votes to begin the statehood process.

Elizabeth