new question - pricing

Old August 19th 03, 12:45 AM
Deborah

Default new question - pricing

Hi,

I took at look at your bracelet (very pretty!) and saw that you charge
$15.00 for it and it's 8.5". Maybe you could just charge her three times
that price for the necklace, since it's three times the length of the
bracelet.

You might want to charge a bit more if $45.00 doesn't cover your labor.

All the best,
Deborah
"vj" wrote in message
news
i know we've tossed this around a lot here, but i have a problem
coming up that Nicole reminded me about in a chat . . .

i had a lady commission three necklaces. the first two are a bit
complex, but no big deal, and i know how to price them. the third is
something of a problem. she saw a bracelet i had on my site and
wanted a 26" necklace made the same way.

http://www.vickijean.com/images/jewe...acelet_020.jpg

**sigh** i wasn't even THINKING, obviously. the seed beads for it
are going to run around $5. but it's going to take HOURS to finish.

how on earth do i price it???

i really don't want to price it according to how long it takes to do,
but . . .

-----------
@vicki [SnuggleWench]
(Books) http://www.booksnbytes.com
(Jewelry) http://www.vickijean.com
-----------
It's not what you take, when you leave this world behind you;
it's what you leave behind you when you go. -- Randy Travis

Old August 19th 03, 12:50 AM
Dr. Sooz

FIFTEEN DOLLARS?!?!?! Jeez! What a deal, Vicki!! I never sell seed
beadweaving for less than $50!

I took at look at your bracelet (very pretty!) and saw that you charge
$15.00 for it and it's 8.5".

~~
Sooz
-------
Let the beauty we love be what we do. --Rumi
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
~ Bead Notes: Beading information A through Z
http://www.lampwork.net/beadnotes.html
Old August 19th 03, 01:21 AM
Dr. Sooz

just time consuming.

EXACTLY. If people see your work, and then see mine, they are going to think
I'm ripping them off. When you underprice your work blah blah blah....we've
had this conversation here before. Jesus, Vicki!
~~
Sooz
-------
Old August 19th 03, 01:21 AM
Dr. Sooz

uhm - - have i said pricing is always the hard part for me?

[hanging head]

Vicki, you're making the rest of us look like thieves. You can't DO that to
us.
~~
Sooz
-------
Old August 19th 03, 06:20 AM
Carol in SLC

i really don't want to price it according to how long it takes to do,
but . . .

Well, you could figure out how long it takes you to finish an inch, and then
charge a certain amount per inch for the necklace.

Carol in SLC
My jewelry: http://members.aol.com/carolinslc/
Old August 19th 03, 08:14 PM
Deirdre S.

Then I think that all of us who do seed bead work need to educate our
customers about what goes into it. And I don't mean low-cost
materials, I mean our patient, quality-conscious time and attention.

Deirdre

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 18:01:27 -0700, vj wrote:

yes, m'am.
but i DO want it to SELL.

Old August 19th 03, 08:36 PM
Deirdre S.

I've made several longish necklaces using the spiral rope design for
friends and family, and they all report getting rave reviews from
people who see them wearing them.

A piece of jewelry that gets complimented a lot does wonderful things
for the wearer's sense of well-being. And that can't possibly be bad
PR for the jewelry-maker. ;-)

Deirdre

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 20:39:47 -0700, vj wrote:

**smile** thank you!
i never would have thought someone would want a 24" necklace like
that, tho!

Old August 19th 03, 08:36 PM
Dr. Sooz

so, Sooz, i'm only off on the bracelet by a little bit.

Whew! Good. :-)
~~
Sooz
-------
Old August 19th 03, 10:51 PM
Deirdre S.

I am speaking of 'moving out' of their country more symbolically and
psychologically than literally. Moving literally wouldn't help anyway,
if we took the same old mindset with us.

I'm suggesting a move away from the self-value imposed on you from
without to a place where your sense of value arises from within. And
that *is* a whole nother country, when it comes to 'where you live'
emotionally on a daily basis.

If the influence of your family feels like something you are stuck
with, then consider what it might take to become unstuck... not by
rejecting them so much as by rejecting their take on _you_.

Our families are not the world's highest authorities on who is or
isn't a worthwhile person. When they controlled our whole environment
we may have gotten that idea planted fairly deeply -- that what they
said was never less than the truth, but we belong to a wider world
than that at this point, don't we? And we have the right to
re-evaluate ourselves by looking at ourselves through our -own- lens
instead of continuing to look through theirs.

A lot of times that family lens is a very bent, very distorting one
and the images visible through it are -- to say the least --
inaccurate ... IMO.

Deirdre

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 14:21:18 -0700, vj wrote:

]Well, time to move full-time to another country, then ... :-)

trust me - i've considered it more than once!

Old August 20th 03, 12:09 AM
Tante Lina

vj wrote in message ...
okay - i think i have it figured out.

it took me 10 minutes to do 1".

15 min x 25" = 375min.

that's 6.25 hrs
x $8/hr = $50
plus $5 for the beads and going to get them

so - $55 should be about right.

thanks, everyone!

Wow, I admire your speed! Does it feel good to know for sure you're getting
paid?

* TL *

de-lurking with a color question Jennifer Moore Beads 8 August 16th 03 09:42 PM
Question about finished pieces Marissa Undercofler Beads 19 August 13th 03 05:54 PM
Posting Question angela Beads 25 August 7th 03 12:57 PM
Question for Kandice BedazzlingJewels Beads 5 August 1st 03 07:05 AM
Another question.... Question about Beading Thread Ken Knecht Beads 3 July 16th 03 06:24 AM