Focus on Design: Feathered Star Quilts

Old April 28th 05, 08:09 PM
Pat in Virginia

Default Focus on Design: Feathered Star Quilts

Since I haven't posted Focus on Design in a while,
here is an update. Focus on Design is my pet
project in RCTQ land. (Aside form Chocolate!)
Every so often, I propose a topic and all
interested quilters add their two pence. This is
about the quilt top design, not how to untangle
bobbins, nor how to cook lasagna. Those are
interesting, but don't belong here.
Here we FOCUS ON DESIGN!

The April '05 Topic: Feathered Star Quilts.

I love this traditional pattern. Right now I am
finishing a UFO with one FS block. I made it in a
class with Cindi Edgerton. It is her own pattern,
employing Foundation Paper Piecing (FPP) on a nice
tissue paper. I also have Marsha McCloskey's Book
on the subject. NAYY, except that Cindi is a
fellow guild member here in Virginia. I do hope to
make an entire quilt of about 9 large FS blocks.
Nto sure what style or color fabric. It is a
versatile block and quite impressive, IMO. Do you
like this block too?

PAT in VA/USA

Old April 28th 05, 08:41 PM
MB

I absolutely love this block !!....I do have the McCloskey book but not the
rotary
cutting directions that can now be purchased...( making mental note here to
order it today !!)
Fons & Porter had a quilt made out of 6 FS blocks that I want to do ...they
used deep reds...
navies...etc...if I recall correctly. And when I've seen FS blocks
online in which I like the coloring
I often save the picture to help me select colors for this future project.
I have the feeling that FPP would make it easier to sew even though I"m not
a big fan of
paper piecing. Mary

Old April 28th 05, 09:01 PM
Sandy Foster

In article ixace.19$Hm.0@lakeread03,
Pat in Virginia wrote:

[...]

My absolutely *favorite* block is the Lemoyne Star, so Feathered Stars
based upon that get me all goose-bumpy and excited. g I made a FS in a
class some years ago and have recently made another in a class with
Marsha McCloskey. I was hoping to make even more, but I ran out of the
fabrics I started with and can't find them anywhere, so the block will
probably become a small wall hanging instead. But someday I'm going to
make a quilt with more FS blocks! G
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education
Old April 28th 05, 11:24 PM
Taria

Great timing Pat. I am sewing and doing a bit of ripping on some FS
blocks. The block is from the McKlosky book. Just a 2 color radiant
star. There are 78 pieces in each block and I need only 20 blocks!
Lots of points to match. Seems to go together pretty well. I did her
book method for the hst's and still am not sure if I like doing them
that way or not. There just is a lot of time in it. I really like the
block. It seems like it has an old fashioned look but can take a modern
look in the right setting. I'd enjoy hearing any hints anybody has for
putting them together.
Taria

Old April 29th 05, 05:49 AM
A&T

Feathered star is my absolute favorite quilt design.

I can't wait to finish my first one... (already started) so I can do another
one.

Tricia
http://photos.yahoo.com/momiixii

Old April 29th 05, 10:46 AM
Roberta Zollner

Love this block! I've made one (gave it to my brother) and have blocks done
for another, just need to sort out the sashing. Confession: some of the
points will end up hidden :-) Although it is a bit more precise than my 1st
attempt! Might have to look at MM's book before starting the next one!
Roberta in D

Old April 30th 05, 09:23 PM
Maureen Wozniak

I love feathered stars. I never would have attempted one, if not for a
class with Marsha McCloskey. The book makes it seem a lot easier. I'll
be up for tackling another one someday.

Maureen