Focus on Design - Irish Chain Quilts

Old November 16th 04, 01:30 PM
Pat in Virginia

Default Focus on Design - Irish Chain Quilts

Focus on Design is back!! The Focus on Design Diva took a
trip to Houston to stock up on features, focus, fabric,
friends, and fun.

To the Newbies ... Focus on Design is a very occasional
feature of RCTQ. When you least expect it, I present a
topic of discussion to the group. The topic is not about
stash, Sm, MIL, scissors, HQ, the flu, elections, etc. It is
okay to talk about that stuff, but not in this thread
please. This thread is a FOCUS on DESIGN!

This week's (month's?) topic is ...
FOCUS on IRISH CHAIN QUILTS!

I've made 2 simple single Irish Chain Quilts. One has the
Nine Patch Block alternating with a plain block. (This is a
former UFO, now a WIP.) The other is a small WH with House
blocks alternating. It won a blue ribbon once upon a time!

Let's talk about Irish Chain Quilts. Here are some links to
get started.
PAT in VA/USA

http://www.diynet.com/diy/shows_qlt/...504884,00.html

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/cr_resource...371647,00.html

http://search.netscape.com/ns/search...Page=NSCPIndex

Old November 16th 04, 01:58 PM
Maureen Wozniak

I love Irish Chain Quilts. Simple to piece, nice plain spots to quilt
on, and easy-peasy to make. Hmm, It's about time I did another.

Maureen

Old November 16th 04, 02:11 PM
Betty in Wi

My Irish Chain has been on my bed for at least three years.......time for
something new? I bought a packet of 32 fat eighths of 30's/40's repro prints
on sale for 1/2 price. Then saw a pattern for an Irish Chain quilt made with
these same fabrics. I had enough for the quilt! Just needed to buy the off
white background and some plain color blue to go with it. Mine was machine
quilted by a long arm quilter.........and I loved it even more after it was
quilted.

Betty in WI

Old November 16th 04, 02:18 PM
Diana Curtis

Its a wonderful design, lending itself to wonderful interpetations of color,
texture and design in the *blank* areas.
I must make one when I have enough different purples.
Diana

--
Weird people need beads, too
[...]

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/cr_resource...V_3314_1371647
,00.html

http://search.netscape.com/ns/search...x=11&y=10&st=w
ebresults&fromPage=NSCPIndex

Old November 16th 04, 02:24 PM
joysjane

Irish Chain was my first quilt. I bought the Quilt in the Day by Eleanor
Burns. She makes everything so easy to do. Anyway. I don't know how many
Irish Chains I did. Since it was the only thing I really knew how to do. I
found that all my friends started having babies about this time, and they
all got Irish Chain baby size quilts. So easy and quick and everybody oohs
and aahs over them. They think we sew every little square together. If
they only knew how easy it really is . . .

joysjane

Old November 16th 04, 02:29 PM
georg

This pattern is on my eventual to do list. I would like to do it in two
colors, as I really love this in blue on white (all the ones I have seen
in this style). I may not do it in blue- I may do purple or green or
even black and white, or green on creamy yellow, and I would like to
hand quilt it with feather circles, because that's just beautiful.

This pattern is a classic example of how simple can be gorgeous, and all
that white space is great for showing off one's quilting skills, or is a
great place to put an embroidered or applique design.

-georg
Old November 16th 04, 03:35 PM
Julia in MN

I have the Quilt in a Day Irish Chain book and have done 2 queen size
quilts and at least 2 crib size. One of the queen size was the Double
Irish Chain; the rest were all single Irish chain. I did the seminole
border on the queen size Single Irish Chain. For the crib sized ones, I
used a bright print for the large squares, and a bright solid for the
chain squares.

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old November 16th 04, 03:49 PM

Hi, Pat, my Double Irish Chain is still on Elena'a site:
http://www.picturetrail.com. In the box write: lnw7. Scroll down to
Nancycog in MD 21 pics. It's the last one. It was made for my
Irish-descent DMIL ( now passed on) and had all her GC and GGC names in
the white blocks. It's easy, fast and one of my favorites..nice and
graphic. BTW haven't heard from Elena in a while. She still around??
Nancycog in MD

Old November 16th 04, 04:10 PM
Sandy Foster

In article 9inmd.1$D26.0@lakeread03,
Pat in Virginia wrote:

[...]

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/cr_resource...3314_1371647,0
0.html

http://search.netscape.com/ns/search...11&y=10&st=web
results&fromPage=NSCPIndex

I've made one of these, and I used the blank center portions as a place
to put photos -- back in 1994, when printing our own wasn't as easy. g
As a result, I had them professionally done. Anyway, the quilt was a
huge success with DD#2, for whom it was designed; I probably should do
another, since it's such a timeless pattern. My attempt is pictured at
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1/photoquilts.html; it's the second
one on the page.
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1
Old November 16th 04, 04:46 PM
Pati Cook

I love the look of Irish chain quilts. One of these days I plan to
make one (probably a triple) with St. Patrick's day fabrics and white.
The "open" areas will alternate white and green with Celtic interlace
done with fusible bias in green and silver.
There is one that I am working on, or need to finish anyway that is a
variation of an Irish Chain, will try and get it finished this year so
all can see.

Pati, in Phx