Focus on Design: Storm at Sea Quilts

Old July 2nd 04, 03:25 AM
Pat in Virginia

Default Focus on Design: Storm at Sea Quilts

First, I want to announce that the 'feature' I recently
introduced as QSD (Quilt Style Design I think) has undergone a
slight change. The name of the feature is now "Focus on Design:
___________" Why? Well, I think this name is quickly and easily
understood by any poster, including the newbies. Also, *I* kept
forgetting the Acronym and/or the Title!! So I came up with this
new name, with able assistance from Diana, Queen of Art.

Again, Focus on Design is meant to explore our preferences in
color, style, and set ups in our quilts. We are not working out
the problems of our SM, our QI, nor the dearth of Chocolate in
our current Diets!!

Someone recently asked me to Focus on Storm at Sea, a Traditional
Quilt Top. She particularly wanted to know how to arrange the
values (light, medium, and dark) to get "that sea sick look!"
Only a few days later someone else started an interesting thread
on construction problems of S@S!! I still think it is a good idea
to discuss the colors and so forth. Batten down the Hatches ...
here goes! Pat in Virginia

S@S with unique color ways.
http://equiltblocks.com/cgi-bin/bloc...ath=./sixteen/

Here is a link to S@S ... with paper piecing.
http://www.blockcentral.com/detail.php?id=1751

Now S@S in the traditional color ways of blue and white.
http://www.connectingthreads.com/ct/....y=12&PBpage=3

Old July 2nd 04, 04:07 AM
..Mickie Swall..

Ah, one of my favorite patterns, though I've never made one:
I once printed a couple pages of foundation patern for a miniature
one and decided it was a little more ambitious project than I
wanted to do at the time. g

The first two links you posted are not a "true" S@S, (the kind
that make you sea-sick Ha!) because they have a double row
of what "should" be a pieced sashing around the square-in-a-
square block. These are typical of what you find in computer
quilting programs like Quilt-Pro and Electirc Quilt, although EQ5
has an optional 2/sided block to make the one like that shown
at Connecting Threads - which is is the "authentic" S@S.
(now how do you type S@S so it isn't hyper-link?)
Mickie

Old July 2nd 04, 04:59 AM
Shirley Ellen

That was one of the BOM's at my LQS. I'd never paper pieced before and I
have to admit I found it a bit fiddly.. but I do like the look of the block.

Shirley in BC

--
My Quilt Site
http://quilts.inspiring-thoughts.com

Inspiring Thoughts
http://members.tripod.com/inspiring-thoughts/index.html

Old July 2nd 04, 08:48 AM
Patti

One day I will have another go!
This is the way I always think of SatS.
I needed this design for something I was doing. I didn't have a
pattern, so looked at a few examples/pictures in books and worked out
the block - just as you showed it in the first link. So, I made up the
eight blocks I needed to fill the particular space. Horrors! Of course
when I put it together I realised what Mickie said was *so* true!! I
had neither time (nor inclination I have to admit) to re-do the whole
lot, so I left it. But it remains one of my favourite blocks - visually
- and I will manage another one day.
I did mine in blues. I didn't use white, but a very pale blue that
looks white.
It was also this design which made me realise the importance of right
side/wrong side in the side piece - diamond in a rectangle! So, for me,
a very learning experience g
..
In article , Pat in Virginia
writes

http://equiltblocks.com/cgi-bin/bloc...ea_t.gif&path=.
/sixteen/

Here is a link to S@S ... with paper piecing.
http://www.blockcentral.com/detail.php?id=1751

Now S@S in the traditional color ways of blue and white.
http://www.connectingthreads.com/ct/...p?PatternID=99
1150&query=P&Style=All&Theme=All&Technique=All&Ty pe=All&SearchCustom.x=4
1&SearchCustom.y=12&PBpage=3

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old July 2nd 04, 11:53 AM
mauvicem

http://photos.yahoo.com/mauvicem
Hi Pat
here is a link for the S@S I made as wedding present for DS and
DDIL...I used paper piecing for the long diamond shapes until I got the hang
of the angle needed.....I love this quilt ...they use it as an art piece on
the wall, I love my DDIL she realizes the point of conservation, brought it
back to me to have it laundered!!! When they moved she carried it with her
so as not to lose it....I made this simultaneously with another quilt, plaid
quilt called Circle Star, YUCK, I am not a plaid girl ....couldn't make the
border fit!!!! stretchy plaids,,,,ended up giving all the plaids to a
quilting friend....I am still finding pieces of plaid in my scraps...THEY"RE
BACK!!!!!!!!!!....Beieve it or not it was a relief to work on the SaS and
not on the plaid quilt from Hades!!

--
Mauvice in Central WI

http://equiltblocks.com/cgi-bin/bloc...gif&path=./six

http://www.connectingthreads.com/ct/...tternID=991150

Old July 2nd 04, 01:48 PM

Hi, Pat, I love S@S. You can see mine on Elena's site (Elena...long time
no read???) at the 'Five photos' block: http://www.picturetrail.com
and in the box type lnw7. It's a Jinny Beyer WUH which was paper
foundation pieced, and it went together faster than any I've made
before. Happy July 4th Everyone! Nancycog in MD

Old July 2nd 04, 02:40 PM
frood

The current issue of Quiltmaker has one in it that's pretty cool, or I guess
I should say, Hot! It's called Heat Wave, and you can see it he
http://www.qnm.com/winners/feature97/index.html

There was another one in a magazine several months ago that used black and
white as the base colors, and a spectrum of bold colors ran across the
diagonal. If I can find the magazine, I'll post a link. I especially liked
that one because it used prints, not just TOTs and solids.

I'd love to do a SatS for my bed. My DH is particularly fond of how the
straight lines produce the illusion of curves. I want to use batiks, but I
haven't decided a color design yet.

--
Wendy
de-fang email address to reply

Old July 2nd 04, 07:27 PM
Sandy Foster

http://equiltblocks.com/cgi-bin/bloc...f&path=./sixte

http://www.connectingthreads.com/ct/...ernID=991150&q
uery=P&Style=All&Theme=All&Technique=All&Type=All& SearchCustom.x=41&SearchCust
om.y=12&PBpage=3

I love S@S, Pat! One of these days I'll make one -- maybe a small one.
I love the effect of movement and curves produced by straight lines.
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1
Old July 5th 04, 09:57 PM
georg

The first quilt my mum made (which was for me even!) was a S@S. I picked
the colors. I was about 12. So I picked 3 shades of lavender. There was
almost no contrast. And she put no border on it at all or binding
proper. We both learned a lot from it.

Contrast is *essensial* in this pattern.

-georg