Surprised by age of quilt

Old May 7th 11, 05:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Susan Laity Price

Default Surprised by age of quilt

Looking at the photographs posted from the Red and White quilt exhibit
recently held in NYC my eye kept finding the Vortex Quilt with
appliqued corners. I assumed it was a modern piece. How would one
construct a quilt of that complexity without modern equipment? A
photograph of the same quilt is featured in the June/July 2011 issue
of Quilt magazine clearly explaining that it is from the collection of
Joanna S. Rose and was part of the New York Exhibit. It also said the
quilt "is believed to have been pieced sometime between 1890 and 1919
by an unknown quilter." I repeat, How could a quilter construct a
quilt of that complexity without modern equipment?

Susan

Old May 8th 11, 06:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

With very great care and precision. I saw the same photographs.
Obviously, the quilter was an artist with needle and thread. Imagine
if she had been given an education in fine art...

Sunny
humbled beyond words by such talent and skill
Old May 8th 11, 09:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sartorresartus

I looked it up, and I agree, it is just superb. Then I saw these
others, and they had an exhibition of them. Pity to have missed it.
http://theaccessorator.com/2011/03/t...he-armory.html

I like two-colour quilts.

Nel
(Gadget Queen)
Old May 8th 11, 10:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

If you look closely at that photo (thanks Nel!), you can count 52
wedge segments. 13 wedges in each quarter of the circle. Comes to a
bit over 7 degrees per wedge. Very tricky to just guess. But if she
took a quarter circle and folded carefully, she could come up with
something workable. I love the way the appliqued frame rests the eye.
Roberta in D

Old May 8th 11, 11:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Susan Laity Price

Thanks for posting the link. I knew if I looked for the photo in the
exhibit in order to post a link I would spend another hour looking
through the red and white beauties.

Susan

Old May 9th 11, 04:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Marcella Peek

This actually is an old pattern. A compass was likely used to draw the
circles - not a huge metal one :-) but you know, a string and a pencil.
Then fold or divide away. Not so complicated.

If you'd like to make one the "modern" way, Andi Perejda has a DVD and
wedge ruler to make the quilt. http://www.andiperejda.com/dvd.htm I
saw one last week at a quilt retreat. The woman made it with a black
background and bright colors instead of red squares. Every two rows the
color changed so it was a very cool rainbow effect.

marcella

wrote:

I looked it up, and I agree, it is just superb. Then I saw these
others, and they had an exhibition of them. Pity to have missed it.
http://theaccessorator.com/2011/03/t...-quilts-the-ar
mory.html

I like two-colour quilts.

Nel