Change of auction handle/ID and Web Site Name

Old August 19th 03, 09:24 PM
CrystalLuv

Default Change of auction handle/ID and Web Site Name

I finally have merged nearly all my photos from my old web site to my
NEW Site. I found out on the internet (doing random searches) that
the former handle/ID I used on eBay was the title of a magazine (no
longer in publication). Since this was a (once publicated magazine
and copryrighted name), I decided to change my handle/id and web site
to a different name a little over a year ago. Being that many items
tend to be listed alphabetically, and that my beads/pendants are much
different than I once made, that is how I arrived at the name Adorned
Clay Jewels.

I am just curious how some of you come about deciding on a ID/Business
handle for your web site or auctions? D.Jean (Adorned Clay Jewels)

Web Site: http://www.acjewels.com
Old August 20th 03, 12:34 AM
Dr. Sooz

I came up with a business name by taking my old business name (rubber stamp
company called Diva Rubber, form the early 90s) and altering it/adding to it.
I'd used the name "Diva" because it meant goddess in Italian, not because of
the usual demanding-woman connotation it has today.

I took "diva" and turned it into "Divine". I added "Oblivia" because I'd used
that word to name a made-up goddess I'd created for a collage project I did (a
co-op deck of goddess cards). Divine Oblivia sounded good for jewelry, too, I
thought -- I think jewelry is divine, and it sends me straight into oblivion.
I want my customers to feel the divine oblivion, too. And Oblivia sounds like
someone who would be laden with jewels.
~~
Sooz
-------
Let the beauty we love be what we do. --Rumi
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
~ Bead Notes: Beading information A through Z
http://www.lampwork.net/beadnotes.html
Old August 21st 03, 07:17 AM
Dr. Sooz

Haw! I was more thinking along the lines of intoxication of one sort or
another. ;-)

Doesn't the Divine Oblivia sound as if she should be the Patron Saint of
Blondes?

I love the name!

Kathy N-V

~~
Sooz
-------
Old August 24th 03, 05:36 AM
Christina Peterson

I also suspect there's a sexual element here. I don't think there are
nearly as many men who call themselves MoonGazer or LusciousListings or what
not. For a long time it has been frown on for women to be professional
artists. Authors took men's names. Heck, my father wanted my mother to
continue writing, but as Mrs Frank Steffensen (very old-fashioned).
Personally, I just feel a better sense of integrations, by identifying
myself by who I am.

Tina

"Mary Tafoya" wrote in message
m...
(CrystalLuv) wrote in message

. com...

I am just curious how some of you come about deciding on a ID/Business
handle for your web site or auctions? D.Jean (Adorned Clay Jewels)

I picked "seriousbeader" for my eBay handle cause I thought it was
funny, and also said I wasn't just playin' around with beads, if ya
know what i mean, and also because eBay recommended not using your
email address.

I probably should have picked "aunt molly" like my first website, but
what I found is that I would rather have people know me by "mary
tafoya" than "aunt molly" (though IRL I am known by both names...). So
I put "AM's" in front of all my auction descriptions, don't know if
people even search by that or not...

But the thing is, I personally think jewelry designers, lampworkers,
etc. should just go by their darned real names, and make that their
business name. Otherwise your customers have to remember 2 or 3 things
instead of one -- your name. I think it's better if they associate
your product with your name, rather than a more anonymous company
name, if you're an artist. For me it's kinda too late but I'm
tryin'... LOL.

So why *do* people choose a fancy jewelry line name?

JMHO,
Mary T. 8-)

Aunt Molly's Bead Street
http://www.flash.net/~mjtafoya/