How do you repair crochet?

Old February 16th 07, 07:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Laura J

Default How do you repair crochet?

My daughter's longies have developed a huge hole in the crotch. It isn't a
stretch-hole it is like the yarn actually broke (please please please don't
tell me I have moths!). With knit items I would know how to pick up stitches
or graft the hole together but I am clueless when it comes to repairs in
crochet. Does anyone have any advice for me?

Thanks!

LauraJ

Old February 16th 07, 09:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

If you have the matching thread , unravel a bit and start some new
stitches ,,, than anchor it with some sewing thread ,,,
mirjam

Old February 17th 07, 12:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Richard Eney

In article ,
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen wrote:

LauraJ wrote

My daughter's longies have developed a huge hole in the crotch. It isn't a
stretch-hole it is like the yarn actually broke (please please please don't
tell me I have moths!). With knit items I would know how to pick up stitches
or graft the hole together but I am clueless when it comes to repairs in
crochet. Does anyone have any advice for me?

If you have the matching thread , unravel a bit and start some new
stitches ,,, than anchor it with some sewing thread ,,,

First: find the last loop of the crochet where it's been raveling, and
anchor it (with a stitch holder or something). Look for other weak
spots. It isn't necessarily moths or carpet beetles, it might just
be stress on the yarn. Once you're reasonably sure you've got solid
material, fasten in the new yarn and crochet to fill the hole.

I would probably also add a row or two more than was there originally,
just to be sure there's no extra stress there.

When you get to where you want to fasten it to the other edge (where
in knitting you might kitchener it), you may want to work from inside.
Connect it with slipstitch (chain stitch) crochet (UK single crochet)
so the seam is as unobtrusive as possible.

=Tamar
Old February 22nd 07, 01:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Laura J

Thank you, Tamar! Your post was quite helpful and brought up a couple of
things I hadn't thought of. I made these pants big enough to grow with her
a little while but apparently they needed a little more room in the legs.

Thanks!

Laura

"Richard Eney" wrote in message

LauraJ wrote

Old February 22nd 07, 01:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Laura J

Thank you, Mirjam. I appreciate your reply! The pants are all fixed up and
soaking in their nice wool wash as I type...

LauraJ

Old February 22nd 07, 05:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

You are welcome Laura ,
nothing pleases me more than when we ALL can take care of our handmade
goodies !!!
mirjam

Thank you, Mirjam. I appreciate your reply! The pants are all fixed up and
soaking in their nice wool wash as I type...

LauraJ

Repair tips --help please [email protected] Sewing 3 January 8th 07 06:18 PM
Crochet Repair - X-mas present in danger [email protected] Yarn 4 December 20th 04 02:17 AM
Ring Repair Jack Schmidling Jewelry 3 November 9th 04 03:38 PM
sapphire repair wally Jewelry 2 June 5th 04 07:41 PM
FS: Old Time Crochet, Herrschner's Crochet Patterns, McCall's Crochet Patterns/Magazine marilyn safier Marketplace 0 March 16th 04 06:46 AM