New to this newsgroup

Old September 15th 05, 03:09 AM
5string

Default New to this newsgroup

Hi everyone. I am new to the group so I don't know what questions have been
asked. Here's mine...

I've been making pottery at a community studio for the past 3-4 years. This
studio uses gas fired (cone 10) kiln and glazes. Recently, I've been using
a couple of different slips (dark blue, chrome green, etc...) and covering
them with nelson celedon. [The glazes are provided by the studio. They
also have an amber celedon and "g" celedon (which might stand for green or
ginny -- I am not sure, but it is more greenish than the nelson celedon)].

So..., here is my question. Are there other clear/transparent high fire
glazes that will work over slips in a high-fired, gas kiln? I would like to
try different color slips, but want a glaze that is something lighter and/or
more transparent than the greenish/bluish color the nelson celedon. (I
should note, I have no control over the kiln because it is a community
kiln.)

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Rick

Old September 16th 05, 07:38 PM
DKat

In reduction firings the celedon coloring in a true celedon comes from Iron
in the glaze. There are certainly clear glazes for reduction cone 10 and
I'm surprised the studio doesn't have any. They are typically used as liner
glazes. Can you post the ingredients in the glazes that are being used? If
so, it might be possible to tweak those glazes for what you want and you can
ask if they can make you up a small batch.

Old September 16th 05, 10:26 PM
DKat

http://www.potters.org/subject33346.htm
This is a find on what you are looking for but I suspect that the powers
that be at your studio would be less inclined to do a new glaze where they
might accept adapting a used one (if nothing else, you know they have the
ingredients).

www.potters.org is a good place to go to search for pottery info
www.digitalfire.com is one I cannot recomment highly enough. If you really
get interested in glazing I recommend buying their software. If you just
want to play around with formulas and to see what glaze chemistry looks
like, I have freeware you can have.
http://www.masteringglazes.com/ is another excellent site for glaze info
(you will need to buy the book and software).